Menu

Managers of Their Homes

Has anyone had success with this book's ideas? I feel like we need something to keep the house in order. We have a good school schedule going but the second part of the day everything is kind of willy nilly and the house is suffering. I vacuumed the upstairs floor the other day and realized it had been 3 months since I had done it. AAGGH!

I just don't know if this book would help me or hinder me. Should I just make a cleaning list and split it up on a calendar? I have the book already so I wouldn't have to buy it.

Would love to hear any experiences with it.

I think she had some good tips (like assign chores for the whole year, that way the child masters them) and I'm glad I read it. The act of thinking through your day and making the schedule is valuable. But we aren't doing MOTH. I'm working on some routines, linked to parts of our day. (Kind of like this http://simplehomeschool.net/anchoring-an-organizational-tool/.) I'm not a clock person, and if I oversleep I feel like my whole day is blown.

If you have a crockpot, I've found freezer + crockpot is a wonderful way to have dinner ready on time. It's been the discovery of the decade for me - no joke! http://www.ringaroundtherosies.net/2012/02/freezer-cooking.html It really helped with the craziness to know that dinner would be ready at 7pm, regardless of what else I did or did not get done.

Managers of Their Chores is what you should get if you are more interested in the cleaning/upkeep side of things. It really, really helped me to organize and plan out what needs to be done when and by whom in my home. I revisit it every January when I assign out chores for the year.

:iagree:

MOTH does have a chapter on chores and such, but the vast majority of the book is about scheduling different things.

I've never read that book but I know alot of people that love flylady. you can sign up for a free email that comes daily with a to-do list. She breaks the house into "zones" and works on one zone a week. It focuses a lot on deluttering.

I love motivatedmoms.com. for 8 bucks you download a year's worth of "chores." it's a checkoff list that tells you exactly what to do on what day - takes no time at all and is great for upkeep. Sometimes I do the list myself, sometimes I have the kids run and do a couple things each to help me. It includes daily things like wipe down the kitchen and sweep and such, as well as once a week chores. it even includes when to cut the kid's nails, change the air filter, and other yearly tasks. They also sell it for kindle.

Managers of Their Chores is what you should get if you are more interested in the cleaning/upkeep side of things. It really, really helped me to organize and plan out what needs to be done when and by whom in my home. I revisit it every January when I assign out chores for the year.

I hate to buy another book when I already have this one though. I may just read through the chore section instead of the whole book.

I think she had some good tips (like assign chores for the whole year, that way the child masters them) and I'm glad I read it. The act of thinking through your day and making the schedule is valuable. But we aren't doing MOTH. I'm working on some routines, linked to parts of our day. (Kind of like this http://simplehomeschool.net/anchoring-an-organizational-tool/.) I'm not a clock person, and if I oversleep I feel like my whole day is blown.

If you have a crockpot, I've found freezer + crockpot is a wonderful way to have dinner ready on time. It's been the discovery of the decade for me - no joke! http://www.ringaroundtherosies.net/2012/02/freezer-cooking.html It really helped with the craziness to know that dinner would be ready at 7pm, regardless of what else I did or did not get done.

Thanks for the links. I will look into them.

I've never read that book but I know alot of people that love flylady. you can sign up for a free email that comes daily with a to-do list. She breaks the house into "zones" and works on one zone a week. It focuses a lot on deluttering.

I love motivatedmoms.com. for 8 bucks you download a year's worth of "chores." it's a checkoff list that tells you exactly what to do on what day - takes no time at all and is great for upkeep. Sometimes I do the list myself, sometimes I have the kids run and do a couple things each to help me. It includes daily things like wipe down the kitchen and sweep and such, as well as once a week chores. it even includes when to cut the kid's nails, change the air filter, and other yearly tasks. They also sell it for kindle.

I've heard of flylady... maybe I should give it a try. I just kind of want to be able to clean what I want when though lol but apparently that isn't happening. Maybe I can do my own schedule like the one you listed. Scheduling cutting the kids nails!!!! What a great idea! I am so humiliated sometimes when I realize how long and dirty they have gotten lol guess I am not the only one.

I'd go ahead and read the whole MOTH book since you have it. You may find that if you get a good overall routine going, you don't need the Chore book--you'll have ideas of what to do and where to plug those things in and who to have do them. I'd start with that and only get the chore book if you still need something else. (But then, I found the chore book to be more than I wanted or needed, perhaps because we had a good routine with MOTH and just needed some tweaking, not a whole new system.)

Merry :-)

I love the FlyLady. I found her 12 years ago, when I was pregnant with our third child (he turns 12 in January). God knew I needed her! My son was born with many special needs. With the therapists that have walked through this house, I have received many compliments on my home. Just because, it is tidy and decluttered.

Oh, did I mention I'm a messy by nature. I love FlyLady! If anyone has any questions how I used her system please feel free to PM me!

This is my downfall too because I am just not consistent enough but I have improved over the years. The books I love the most are:

1. Sink Reflections (Flylady)

2. MOH (all three are very useful in my opinion)

3. Large Family Logistics

When things get chaotic around here those are the places I go the most often to think through solutions. Also, Lori Flem has some great ideas about organizing and chores too. She is the one who publishes TEACH magazine. She has some great audio products and downloads that have been helpful for me.

P.S. The Duggars have some good ideas too but theirs are kind of mixed in with all the parenting advice and such......

I haven't read the book, and I found Fly-Lady just way, way too much to keep up with.

I just took my schedule and blocked an hour for chores in the morning, a half hour at night and two hours Sunday-Thursday for housekeeping. (I'm out of the house Friday and most of Saturday as I work out of town.) I school Sunday through Thursday. The two hours give me time to clean, sweep and steam-mop a set of rooms, and often I have time to do a quick sweep over of the house. Chore time is for the routine things--taking care of the many animals, unloading and loading dishes, moving laundry around, folding and putting away, etc.

I've also worked very hard to do things the same way every time. I found that I was able to work faster when I did this.

So far it's working pretty well. At any rate, the floors are now swept in full about five to seven days a week, and every room is steam-mopped once a week, laundry never piles up and it's been months since I lost a sock in the dryer.

Given that I'm absolutely the worst when it comes to organization I knew it would have to be very simple for me to keep up with. Fly-lady was way, way, way too complicated for me.