Menu

Economics

Thomas Sowell's Basic Economics and the Teaching Company's Economics by Prof. Timothy Taylor would be a great base.

You would need to come up with some written work of some kind. While neither of these resources would incorporate any mathematical thinking, the economic principles your student would learn would be strong and relevant.

My older kids all list both the Sowell book and the Economics tapes as some of the best resources they used in high school!

I just spent over an hour at a used curriculum store looking over various econ texts because I'm in the same boat. I'll give you some of my thoughts that might be helpful

BJU looks wonderful. It is fairly new, I think published in 2010. Very engaging IMHO with graphics and visual material. The student activity guide is absolutely essential IMHO because of the projects and exercises in it. I got the impression that the activity guide would really engage the student and make the concepts more real and easier to understand. I was very impressed. But, the price was more than I could afford. Student text $44, TM $62, activity manual $25, TM for activity manual $31. I also was concerned it might be too much for my rising senior with her plate already pretty full with physics and precalculus.

Notgrass has great content but IMHO it is not visually appealing. The word, "dry" comes to mind. It is also fairly new and up to date.

Printice Hall Econ looked very interested and was visually appealing. It is a public school spine and very "textbooky" but I did like the look of it. It was $$$ at the store I was in, so I did not purchase it. http://www.amazon.com/Economics-Principles-Action-Arthur-OSullivan/dp/0131334832/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1351811316&sr=1-1&keywords=prentice+hall+economics

Abeka has a nice econ book. It is not as thick as the others I saw, but each word packs a punch. There was not much "filler" or wasted space IMHO. The TM is essential because the discussion questions and chapter review are found in it. I thought this one was the least "overwhelming". It is to the point. I'm not a big Abeka fan, so I was surprised by how much I like it.

HTH

I downloaded a book called "lessons for a Young Economist" for free off the internet. Very good stuff. Definately not the typical econ course book with supply and demand graphs but many great concepts are presented extremely well. There is a study guide on amazon but I have not purchased it. The book is great intro material. Definately good solid microeconomics topics being covered. We are about a third of the way through and I haven't read ahead to be honest. They have done a great job illustrating a very basic economy and are now building brilliantly on that. I would use this in conjuction with some of the other material mentioned. Kahn academy has some good economics material also.

I am combining it with some GCSE/A level business studies coursework and a basic accounting course. So probably not exactly what you are aiming for. I plan to do micro and macro in depth next year. This is my comfort zone because I have econ and accounting degrees. We always have a business type course because we all enjoy them.

There is also an IEW book concentrates on Economic topics. I watched the youtube about it.;) I will probably order it soon as a supplement. I am a bit unsure what level their topic books are supposed to be. But maybe that could be combined with something like Lessons for the Young economist to make a more complete couse.

My daughter already has a full schedule with reading and we have thrown some economic reads in their as well. She already has a full writing curriculum too. Do you think it would be alright to use Notgrass and skip any writing assignments they have on it and still count it as an economics half credit.

My guys used, and loved, the Teaching Company videos. They have a small study guide that goes with it containing some questions about each segment if you want written work. If not, the videos alone can suffice for half a credit. My oldest told me his freshman Economics class at college was kind of boring because everything they covered was in the videos. That may have been an exaggeration, but it's what he said.

Good course, easy to watch videos. No need for an extra book if you don't want one.