Menu

He just keeps coughing...

My son has been coughing since Oct 8.

He was diagnosed with pneumonia and asthma last Monday. He finished the antibiotic on Friday though it's something that is supposed to stay in his system for 10 days. His fever is gone. The cough is less wet. But he still coughs constantly--especially at night. It sounds horrible.

We're doing asthma treatment but I've never seen even a hint of response. He does cough at times that I would think might be asthmatic--sometimes when exhaling or laughing and a lot at night. But I'm puzzled by the lack of response to treatment. My asthma child has always had response to an inhaler. I thought that was the definition of asthma.

This kid's cough doesn't change at all after inhaler use. I don't know what to make of that or how to help him.

You may need to be aggressive to get over this before "normal" asthma treatments work. Oral steroids, different meds, different route (are you using inhaler or neb? If inhaler, do you have a spacer?).

My ds uses xopenex with great results. Advair with spacer daily. Any sign of a cold, add 2x per day xopenex neb. Cold is obviously respiratory, xopenex 3x per day.

Ds has some easy to spot signs of asthma way before distress. His first signs are dark purple shiners under his eyes and increased hyperactivity. Then the cough comes.

Dd and i are still new to this (for her). Albuterol increased her hr too high for too long so she's now on duoneb when needed. She takes flovent daily, but i have a feeling its not the right med.

Her signs are fairly easy. She gets a persistent cough and increased hr, and she wheezes.

My son takes two inhalers when he's sick (diagnosed with cough variant asthma). He takes the albuterol (4-5xday) to open his airways and then a steroid inhaler (2xday). His cough won't go away until he's been on the steroid inhaler for a while. Also, find a cough syrup that's an expectorant not a suppressant. Warm baths to help break it up also (or breathing in steam from boiling water, being careful not to get burned by the steam) HTH

I was also diagnosed with pneumonia 2 weeks ago. I went for my follow up appt yesterday, after finishing my round of antibiotics and was complaining that I'm still coughing. THe dr. said it would take a good 2-4 weeks before I'm completely 100% and he gave me a prescription for Robitussin with codeine to help with the coughing when I go to bed at night.

Have you ever done a clear out? That's several albute treatments in a row. (Only do it if they give you permission and instruction.)

With the complications of pneumonia, IDK--I'd take your son back in, honestly. I agree with the other posters that he may need supplementary meds or a different antibiotic. Pneumonia can take a long time to go away, but it does seem like an extra-long time in your case; guess that's because of the asthma.

Are you keeping track of peak flows several times a day?

Invest in a great air purifier.

and put it in his bedroom.

You will notice an overnight difference.

(At least with my astmatic son, I did).

So much so that we are on 1/2 meds.

I reccommend RabbitAir (expensive, but very high quality/ and no need to buy so many filters over time).

I could do their advertising, I think they are so good. (We have 2).

Please at least buy some kind of air purifier for his room.

I was also diagnosed with pneumonia 2 weeks ago. I went for my follow up appt yesterday, after finishing my round of antibiotics and was complaining that I'm still coughing. THe dr. said it would take a good 2-4 weeks before I'm completely 100% and he gave me a prescription for Robitussin with codeine to help with the coughing when I go to bed at night.

:iagree:

I had to take a Dr. note to the church nursery when DD was diagnosed and 'over' pneumonia. She had gone through her antibiotics, but was still coughing. She was no longer contagious, but he told me that she would have a cough for another month.