Menu

Need rec. for French Press Coffeemaker

Title says it all...

I'm not a huge coffee drinker, but I enjoyed the coffee at cafe Du monde in New Orleans and would love to recreate it.

I've also looked at Vietnamese coffee filters too.

Thoughts?

I love French press coffee. Our maker is like this:

http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/bella/2012/10/phoenix_foodie_halloween_phoenix_celebrate_alcohol.php

Last year I bought this:

http://www.amazon.com/Aerobie-AeroPress-Coffee-Espresso-Maker/dp/B0047BIWSK/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1351551893&sr=1-1&keywords=aeropress+coffee+maker

I like it a lot...easier to clean than the French Press, but the coffee doesn't seem as strong, so I go back and forth between the two.

I had the Bodum Chambord 3 cup French Press Coffee Maker, 12 oz when I was working since I brew 8oz each time. It got warp slightly after a few years even though I hand wash. Still it was good for its purpose.

ETA: I made a few cups of coffee a day though at the office. So it is very durable for the high usage.

Edited by Arcadia

This is mine.

The kids broke it and I tried replacing it with different types/brands but ended up just buying another one of these.

I also have the aeropress mentioned upthread.

My dh likes Vietnamese coffee and we own two of those systems, but the french press is our daily go to coffee maker.

I was hoping you would chime in Bill.

I refuse to believe that I have to have one of those expensive Keurig machines to have tasty coffee.

The coffee that I had in NOLA was so good!

A French press makes wonderful coffee, at least by my taste. All the models work more or less the same (they are pretty simple after all). The biggest differences are aesthetics (and I strongly prefer the classic "Chambord' style) and size. I have a big one (size 7 the "so-called" 12 cup, "cup" being 4 oz) that gets used daily and a small one I use infrequently to serve guests a personal pot.

I like a glass carafe. There is a risk of breakage, but replacements can be had. After a very long time the metal filter can be replaced for a nominal cost.

I think you will enjoy it. They make great coffee and there is no waste. Best of all worlds IMO.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car