Menu

Sonlight--LOTS of questions

Aubrey

I'm sure it's been discussed, but I did search the boards before asking, so here goes...

I was looking at TOS's awards pg about a week ago & was very happy to see most of our curric placed in the top 3 slots for best of whatever. But I noticed that SL was 1st place almost across the board. I've been chicken to look at anything new since we started in '05 because I get overwhelmed easily. I read the early version of WTM, so I was even hesitant about SOTW, lol.

Anyway, I glanced at the website & *really* liked it. I ordered the catalog, assuring dh that I was NOT thinking about changing this yr's curric. And I'm not. Really. It's purchased & semi-planned.

But wow. I've been thinking (since before looking at SL) about how lacking our lit is/has been. I mean, since finishing phonics, I haven't really known what to do for reading. We have read-alouds inconsistently, & the dc read on their own pretty constantly, but not nec at any particular level or anything.

Then I see SL, all organized & lit-based, & I start thinking about the lit-based approach to hist. I LOVE the timeline approach & am not talking about abandoning it, but...looking at SL's reading list & thinking about my dc & their comprehension, etc., I started to realize--they seem to retain stories better than "history"--if that makes sense. They soak up the stories more than the timeline.

So while I still plan to follow the timeline, I wonder if focusing more on stories for the first 4 yrs would better match their development. I guess I'm splitting hairs, but I'm talking about what's central, & I know that while lit & hist are VERY similar, they're also...different.

I need to stick w/ SOTW for my sanity, etc., but I'm wondering about using SL alongside. I expect the reading lists in the SL catalog & the SOTW AG are going to be similar, but I do better w/ a curric than on my own, & just getting the books on this ch's SOTW fr the library ea week...doesn't work well for me. I mean, we get them. But we rarely read them, & we never do anything beyond that. And usually when we do read them, it's a 20-min-these-are-due-back-today cram session, kwim?

Which brings me to my 2nd Q: do the IGs for SL really help? Assuming I'm still sold after talking to you guys, I'm thinking of doing the 3rd g reading & read-alouds from SL along w/ SOTW 3 this yr. If I still like it, think it's worth it, etc., I think I'd like to do...some level of SL's hist + reading + read-alouds for 4th g, along w/ SOTW 4. Does that make sense? Would that be too much?

One of my reservations regarding SL is the organization of hist. I'm not thrilled about the emphasis on Am Hist, & the way it jumps from World Hist to Am to Eastern & back doesn't really make sense to me, but if SOTW is still my spine, that should be fine, I guess. Hard to line up, but I'm not trying to be a stickler for that part.

My other problem w/ SL is which level to do when. The reading list is so great for ea level, I don't want to skip one. I'd like it to kind-of match what we're doing in SOTW OR something we've already done. And my dc's levels are split funny. Ds is the *age* to start 2nd in the fall, but starting 3rd, & working at 4th/5th g reading/math levels.

Dd will be starting 1st when ds starts 4th, & I have been dreading the content involved in SOTW 4 for her 1st yr of formal hist. Otoh, she's been listening to SOTW & doing maps w/ us since ds was in 1st, so it's not like that would *really* be her 1st yr, lol. I may focus on famous people, great inventions, etc. that yr instead of doing st history like we have in the past.

Ok, I know this is long & convoluted, but I'm excited & also annoyed. Why is hs'ing getting so expensive? I mean, we've been really blessed in that the $ has always been there for what we need when we need it, & not on a bare bones level, but on the level of what I deem is best for our dc. After mos of researching NOEO science, I told dh I really thought it was what we'd do best w/, & we found the $. But I'm used to our science costing about $20-$50 for the entire yr's curric & experiments & field trips. Nearly $200 for *just* curric was...a lot.

SL is a lot. I mean, ea subject is around $150! I know sch gets more exp as the dc get older, but I wasn't expecting it so soon. Otoh, the stuff I'm looking at ordering is all reusable, & my back-up plan (like always) is "I could do that myself"--lol.

I guess I just want to know if it's worth it. About 1/3 of the cost is the IG. Otherwise, you could just use a nice reading list--SL's catalog!--&...you know, READ. :lol: But I really have seen that I do much better w/ *some* structure.

I'm going to stop talking now so y'all can try to answer. But if you know something about SL that I haven't asked, feel free to share that, too, because I'm not really done, but I'm, er, long-winded & stopping. :001_huh:

We've used SL since K (dd is entering 2nd this year) and we love it! The quality of the books is great and it is the perfect speed for us. I love that the IGs do all the work for me. I'll see if I can answer your questions:

The IGs are great! I'm not sure if you've seen them, but they have 4 and 5 day programs. Each day is broken into sections (Opt. Bible, History, Read-Alouds) with separate IG for Science & Readers. Each day lists what you need to read and then you can ask comprehension questions from the appropriate sections in the back of the IG.

We use both SL's history and SOTW. They sort of match up (at least 1st grade did). We didn't get through all of SOTW because of this, but I'm fine at working at dd's pace for this. She's getting a LOT out of it.

FWIW the way I save $$ on SL is by using Amazon. We have the Amazon credit card and charge EVERYTHING. We get gift certs from Amazon when we reach a certain amount (something like double points for all Amazon purchases). I save up the gc's and this year they paid for all the books SL required, so all I needed was the IGs from SL. Also, the library also carries many of the SL books since they are award winners, so that might be an option.

HTH!

One of the first homeschooling ladies I ever knew used Sonlight so it has in some way always been my ideal. I have bought and returned two cores in the past seven years, but that doesn't stop me from wanting to buy more. They do have a great return policy and a great resale value.

I love the schedules in Sonlight, but never found enough value in the rest of the IG if that makes sense. I just didn't feel like I got my $50 or whatever for it. I might still buy core 3 next year :confused: I don't know why. I have bought many books that we love from Sonlight and many of the books my ds remembers most from school came from there.

While you are Sonlight dreaming make sure you peak over at Paula's archives for the lists of SL books in WTM sequence.

I still don't know why I don't love SL as much as I want to. I think it has something to do with my teaching style and my WTM conviction about history being in order. It might be a great solution for you and yours. If not, they are still a great resource. Make sure you and your dh honestly address those 31 reasons to not buy Sonlight before you buy.

So while I still plan to follow the timeline, I wonder if focusing more on stories for the first 4 yrs would better match their development. I guess I'm splitting hairs, but I'm talking about what's central, & I know that while lit & hist are VERY similar, they're also...different.

This is how my younger ones operate and a big part of why SL has worked well for them, they love stories and remember so much about history from a story.

I need to stick w/ SOTW for my sanity, etc., but I'm wondering about using SL alongside. I expect the reading lists in the SL catalog & the SOTW AG are going to be similar, but I do better w/ a curric than on my own, & just getting the books on this ch's SOTW fr the library ea week...doesn't work well for me. I mean, we get them. But we rarely read them, & we never do anything beyond that. And usually when we do read them, it's a 20-min-these-are-due-back-today cram session, kwim?

Which brings me to my 2nd Q: do the IGs for SL really help? Assuming I'm still sold after talking to you guys, I'm thinking of doing the 3rd g reading & read-alouds from SL along w/ SOTW 3 this yr. If I still like it, think it's worth it, etc., I think I'd like to do...some level of SL's hist + reading + read-alouds for 4th g, along w/ SOTW 4. Does that make sense? Would that be too much?

I'm the same way about library books, I do better if it's on the schedule. That's why I probably won't be using MFW beyond this year, so I know what you're saying.

I think the IGs help as far as scheduling and actually doing/reading the materials, in my case. It's different for everyone though. By the 3rd grade reading and reading alouds do you mean core 3? If so, I think some of the books might be too much for the age of your kids. It's generally agreed by most SL users that the cores are better used at the higher end of the suggested age range, or at least the middle of the range. Some of the selections are mature and can be hard on a little one, especially if they're sensitive. The Landmark book which is the spine, is boring or hard to understand for most kids on the younger end doing that core, from what I've read at the forums. Do you plan to use SOTW as the spine instead and just add the read alouds from SL? There would probably be no point in paying for the IG in that case, I would save my money and just buy the books you want to read.

One of my reservations regarding SL is the organization of hist. I'm not thrilled about the emphasis on Am Hist, & the way it jumps from World Hist to Am to Eastern & back doesn't really make sense to me, but if SOTW is still my spine, that should be fine, I guess. Hard to line up, but I'm not trying to be a stickler for that part.

I don't find there to be an emphasis on American history personally, there are the two American history cores for mid-older elementary students, and then the highschool American history core. The rest of the cores are World History or culture related. If you prefer to study American history within the context of the period of world history you're studying, you could skip the cores that focus solely on Amer history.

My other problem w/ SL is which level to do when. The reading list is so great for ea level, I don't want to skip one. I'd like it to kind-of match what we're doing in SOTW OR something we've already done. And my dc's levels are split funny. Ds is the *age* to start 2nd in the fall, but starting 3rd, & working at 4th/5th g reading/math levels.

SL cores aren't really grade levels, I would look more at what your children are ready for emotionally because starting at core 3, there are some potentially disturbing issues- there's a book in core 3 about human sacrifice, for example. From what I've read at the SL forums, even gifted kids are stimulated working at a core at or below their "grade level", if you want to look at the cores as such. For cores K-2 there are various leveled reader packages, so you can choose which one would suit your individual child best. Core 3 and above I'd take a look at some of the readers at the library to see if you think your son is ready to read those now.

SL is a lot. I mean, ea subject is around $150! I know sch gets more exp as the dc get older, but I wasn't expecting it so soon. Otoh, the stuff I'm looking at ordering is all reusable, & my back-up plan (like always) is "I could do that myself"--lol.

I guess I just want to know if it's worth it. About 1/3 of the cost is the IG. Otherwise, you could just use a nice reading list--SL's catalog!--&...you know, READ. :lol: But I really have seen that I do much better w/ *some* structure.

I'm going to stop talking now so y'all can try to answer. But if you know something about SL that I haven't asked, feel free to share that, too, because I'm not really done, but I'm, er, long-winded & stopping. :001_huh:

We own 7 SL cores and love them all, I have never been dissapointed. SL will probably always be our mainstay. The cores are expensive, yes, but can be reused and the cost goes down the more kids you use them with. I consider the cores to be great library builders and my kids read the books over and over. If I weren't going to use the IG and just add the books to SOTW, I wouldn't spend the money though. I don't think I completely understood what you were saying so probably got that all mixed up.

Anyway, I hope something in there helped, the SL choosing forums always have good info, so be sure to check there too!

Make sure you and your dh honestly address those 31 reasons to not buy Sonlight before you buy.

Very good advice! I kind of got the feeling, Aubrey, that it might not be a good match for you, since you want chronological history and the jumping from world history to american history, etc, bothered you. That right there might be a good reason not to buy it. But I don't know how important that is to you, so looking at the reasons to buy and the reasons not to buy at their website, is a very good suggestion. Happy researching!

Make sure you and your dh honestly address those 31 reasons to not buy Sonlight before you buy.

LOL!! I just sat in bed reading this to him last night! We laughed at some, discussed others, & talked about basically what I posted. He's more strongly attached to the chronological hist cycle than I am--not that I'm budging on that, he's just more unreasonable, lol.

Our discussions are pretty funny, though, because his degree is in hist & mine's in lit, so we're pretty keen on the subtle difference it can make to focus on one or the other, even in chronological order.

Very good advice! I kind of got the feeling, Aubrey, that it might not be a good match for you, since you want chronological history and the jumping from world history to american history, etc, bothered you. That right there might be a good reason not to buy it. But I don't know how important that is to you, so looking at the reasons to buy and the reasons not to buy at their website, is a very good suggestion. Happy researching!

Well, I do want to *generally* stick w/ chronological hist. But if we do that loosely during the 1st 4 yr cycle & move it to a more central focus later, that seems ok w/ me.

I've come to the conclusion that sticking TOO closely to the hist cycle or the science plan or whatever can result in missing out on good stuff. Like cool exhibits at the museum. Kwim?

I think the IGs help as far as scheduling and actually doing/reading the materials, in my case. It's different for everyone though. By the 3rd grade reading and reading alouds do you mean core 3? If so, I think some of the books might be too much for the age of your kids. It's generally agreed by most SL users that the cores are better used at the higher end of the suggested age range, or at least the middle of the range. Some of the selections are mature and can be hard on a little one, especially if they're sensitive. The Landmark book which is the spine, is boring or hard to understand for most kids on the younger end doing that core, from what I've read at the forums. Do you plan to use SOTW as the spine instead and just add the read alouds from SL? There would probably be no point in paying for the IG in that case, I would save my money and just buy the books you want to read.

Yes, I could tell that the grade level attached to the core didn't matter much. I think if I were going to do it now, I'd probably choose the core 2 hist w/ the C3 readers. Although I really hate to mix & match, I'm always afraid I'm going to miss something. And w/ the reading lists being so good, I'm afraid to miss something anyway.

Dh was also concerned that ds might be too sensitive for some of the books, so that was a concern. I was thinking about core 3 simply because the reading *level* of the earlier ones seems so low. I mean, ds will read Amelia Bedelia, but...he'd prefer something much meatier.

For dd5, she'd be happy w/ almost anything I've seen from P3 to Core 3, lol. But she does like for us to throw in a few picture books. Poor thing, she gets stretched, but she's so cheerful about it.

I don't find there to be an emphasis on American history personally, there are the two American history cores for mid-older elementary students, and then the highschool American history core. The rest of the cores are World History or culture related. If you prefer to study American history within the context of the period of world history you're studying, you could skip the cores that focus solely on Amer history.

For my dc's age/reading level, etc., I felt like I should shop w/in the 1st 4-5 cores. Since 2 of those are Am Hist, that's nearly 1/2 of what's avail. I'm happy to read the books listed those 2 yrs, but I really don't want Am Hist to be our *focus* for a whole yr, definitely not 2. Ds probably wouldn't mind, though!

Anyway, for readers, that matters a little less than if we were doing the hist, too, but I still feel like it's pretty limiting. The readers at the Core 2 level look...mostly...too easy, & by the time you get to Core 5...well, I don't want to overwhelm him. Plus, those are focusing on Eastern hist. Again, if ea of the 5 yrs were different--say Am Hist one yr, Euro Hist another, etc., this would bother me less. But I feel like I've got 3 choices: Am Hist, Eastern hist, & everything else. Which is...ok. I'm mainly looking for lit, not nec something to match up w/ SOTW. Not *nec.*... but 2 yrs of Am Hist sure seems like a lot.

We own 7 SL cores and love them all, I have never been dissapointed. SL will probably always be our mainstay. The cores are expensive, yes, but can be reused and the cost goes down the more kids you use them with. I consider the cores to be great library builders and my kids read the books over and over. If I weren't going to use the IG and just add the books to SOTW, I wouldn't spend the money though. I don't think I completely understood what you were saying so probably got that all mixed up.

I *want* the IG, but I'm not sure it is what I'm expecting. Does that make sense? If it's *just* a schedule, then it's really not worth it to me. (Although I do want the schedule, lol.) I assume there's something more to make it cost so much, but I don't really know what. That's probably my main pt of hesitation.

Looking at it, we will definitely give the Bible course a try. I think we'll start w/ the Core 1 Bible. Assuming the IG's worth it, we'll do the lit this yr. Which core? I was thinking 3, to match ds's reading level better & to kind-of match SOTW 3, but after this thread, I'll have to look again.

We already use HWOT, Singapore Math, & Sequential Spelling, so that's good. I really need a good Lang Arts program, so I'm excited that they've got one. Hist we'll stick w/ SOTW, but I'm interested in supplementing in the future, in order to move twd a more lit-based approach, at least for the younger yrs.

We're using NOEO for sc this yr, & if it's as good as it looks, I expect that to be a long-term plan. I'm considering Lively Latin, so that would be outside of SL's realm. But I'm thinking that in future yrs, we could actually get almost everything from SL, since we already use the programs they sell. I'm just wondering about the ones they write. (That's what would make it worth it, after all.)

having enjoyed both SOTW 1 & 2 and SL cores 3 & 4, I would not suggest combining SOTW 3 and SL Core 3 reading. . . .

The Core 3 reading is wonderful, as is the whole core. . . but I think you'd get more out of SOTW by picking additional reading from the SOTW period/areas.

I'd suggest using the Paula's Archives lists linked above (SL books sorted according to WTM History Cycle) to select books that correspond to your SOTW year instead of choosing the Core 3 books. You can pick and choose books that appeal to you and fit in with your studies. I did this during our SOTW2 year and it worked well to pick out a handful of more challenging books for my then 8-9 yo to read. The next year we went with SL all the way. . .

Do note that when SL covers Am Hist in Cores 3 and 4, it is done chronologically -- just over 2 years instead of the 4 year cycle. Likewise, Cores 1 & 2 and then later 6 & 7 cover world history chronologically in 2 year cycles (I haven't done them yet, so this is my guesstimation).

If/when you want an american history intensive year or two, you may love Sonlight's Cores 3 & 4. . . We *love* sonlight. I do find the organization of the Instructor's Guide and other structure to be well worth the investment.

ONe of the things I really love about Sonlight is it's core 5--it's really a unique core & focus on something that kids aren't going to get a lot of other places. One thing to know about cores 3 & 4 is that it's not strictly US history, though it is quite a bit of US history--it covers the Americas, so you learn about South America and Canada too.

But I'm not at all attached to a 4-year history cycle, and I think kids do understand things as long as you put it in context for them. We've loved the literature-base, the stories & books are amazing, and history really comes alive for my kids. Many people do use Story of the World alongside SL cores, so I know it *can* work if you want it to. Others will pick & choose from SL core books to work alongside a 4-year cycle. Did you know there's a Classical Sonlight Yahoo Loop? You might look into that if you are really curious about Sonlight.

As for the IG's, I use them quite a bit. Mainly for the schedule, but the articles & info on the books I use a bit more every year as my kids get older. I tend to read a chunk at a time--I don't have it open & ask my kids questions from it, I note interesting things it might mention & we have our own discussions.

HTH some!

Merry :-)

You are missing information on the Advanced Readers for core 2. They were called reading level 3-5 at one point. Here is a quote:

"For older students, Advanced Readers like:

• Sid Fleischman's Newbery Medal-winning The Whipping Boy
  • Beverly Cleary's perennial favorites Henry and Ribsy and Emily's Runaway Imagination
  • Marguerite Henry's Misty of Chincoteague and Mustang: Wild Spirit of the West"

A quick note:

I highly recommend that you pre-read the Sonlight readers and read alouds. Some of them are too mature and can very much shake a young child. If your child is not ready to deal with other world views they may have a very difficult time dealing with these books, not to mention the sensitivity factor. For instance in "The Corn Grows Ripe" the Christian world view is presented as being just as non effective as spirit worship. I did manage to talk to my 10 and 11 year olds and deal with this issue. I had to totally ditch the read aloud "Walk the World's Rim". It was just too negative on Christianity and was far too depressing and suggested t*rture and starvation. The book once again presented Christianity as a worthless world view. Another is the Core 2 book "And the Work Came With Power". This is a good book, but NOT for that age. My kids don't need to know about the realities of evil spirits just yet.

That said, many Sonlight books have been favorites.

Blessings,

Penny

We already use HWOT, Singapore Math, & Sequential Spelling, so that's good. I really need a good Lang Arts program, so I'm excited that they've got one. Hist we'll stick w/ SOTW, but I'm interested in supplementing in the future, in order to move twd a more lit-based approach, at least for the younger yrs.

It's been awhile since I used SL but I would NOT get them for the LA. They keep revising it - hoping to get it "right" - and it seems they can't hit the nail on the head. Have you looked at R&S for LA? They are so easy to implement and are just the nuts and bolts. (sorry to keep talking about metal fasteners :)

SL uses SOTW in about grades 6 and 7 so you would have to reconsider if/when you got to that level. Customers have complained they keep having to beef it up to use for that age student.

We're in the high school stage now and I haven't looked closely at the current list of Cores - but when we were considering which way to go (WTM vs. SL) I remember thinking we could delve deeper into the Classics with WTM - and we haven't looked back. I haven't missed the IG at all. In fact I found it freeing to not feel like I was a slave to it - hope that makes sense.

A quick note:

I highly recommend that you pre-read the Sonlight readers and read alouds. Some of them are too mature and can very much shake a young child. If your child is not ready to deal with other world views they may have a very difficult time dealing with these books, not to mention the sensitivity factor. For instance in "The Corn Grows Ripe" the Christian world view is presented as being just as non effective as spirit worship. I did manage to talk to my 10 and 11 year olds and deal with this issue. I had to totally ditch the read aloud "Walk the World's Rim". It was just too negative on Christianity and was far too depressing and suggested t*rture and starvation. The book once again presented Christianity as a worthless world view. Another is the Core 2 book "And the Work Came With Power". This is a good book, but NOT for that age. My kids don't need to know about the realities of evil spirits just yet.

That said, many Sonlight books have been favorites.

Blessings,

Penny

Like Penny I love SL and also had content problems. I left SL because 3 of my kids need daily hands on, but it was getting increasingly difficult to manage the RA's with my younger dc in the room. I still use SL books for RA's, but I use them 2-3 grades below where SL uses them.

Heather

My children love the literature based history and get the most from it. We did core 2 last year, just the history part, We are planning on doing core 3 this year followed by core 4 and then I plan to switch to TOG for the last 2 history cycles. I want my children to love reading without over taxing them or me at this point ( I have a set of 2 y/o twins). This has worked well for us. My point being that you don't have to stick with a program forever. Doing one or two years is an option especially if you want the history cycles. I was also able to pick up the entire core 3 at my Homeschool convention used curriculum sale for $115 So this made it very reasonable. The other opiton is bibloplan which is scheduled with STOW has the literature and the timeline all in one and is only $30 for the schedule.

Good Luck

Annmarie

My point being that you don't have to stick with a program forever.

:iagree:

I'm planning on using core 6 and then 7 for my dd for 7th and 8th grades. This will get her caught up (I hope) in the history cycle to pursue the 4 year cycle the WTM way for highschool. I decided to use SL because, like you, I can go to the library, get the books, but then we don't read them. I'm not great with making my own schedule. I think sl will be a good way for me to learn to do it myself when the time comes.

We are odd duck unschoolers who have used Sonlight for a couple years now. I got 1+2 and 5 and we're still working our way through the books. I bought everything either on the For Sale forum or at Powells and Ebay as i wasn't interested in any of the IG's, the religous-based books, etc.

They really have The Best Books. You can easily do Sonlight by using your library and googling lesson guides for specific books to provoke dialogue with your kids about the books and spend very little money on it.

Hi Aubrey,

Just wanted to make sure you knew that if you choose core 2 then you get to pick from the 1st grade readers, 2nd grade readers, 3rd grade readers, or grade 3-5 readers and surely one of those would work for your son. You wouldn't want to use the core 3 readers as those books actually match up with the history of core 3.

I also thought you would be interested in the fact that Paula's archives offers a schedule that will match up the chapters of SOTW with the usborne world history book used in core 2 so you can easily use SOTW 2 as your spine and even the activity guide.;) That is what I did when ds was younger.

I have used sonlight for 5 years now and we have found very few books we didn't enjoy. My ds was not that fond of reading but he likes sonlight, likes the book choices, and asks for it every year. Sonlight has a great return policy, you can purchase a core, use it for 18 months and if you don't like it you can still send it back for a complete refund, just don't put the stickers on the books if you think you may need to do this. I say give it a try, it may be the best year ever, if not send it back and get your money back.;)

Hi Aubrey,

Just wanted to make sure you knew that if you choose core 2 then you get to pick from the 1st grade readers, 2nd grade readers, 3rd grade readers , or grade 3-5 readers and surely one of those would work for your son. You wouldn't want to use the core 3 readers as those books actually match up with the history of core 3.

quote]

Aubrey,

Actually the title of the reader packages has changed yet again. It makes it so confusing!

Anyway...with Core 2 you could get Readers 2, Readers 2 Intermediate (Used to be called Grade 3 readers last year), or Readers 2 Advanced (used to be called Grade 3-5 Readers). When you get to Core 3 the Readers 3 regular and readers 3 advanced coordinate with the history readings so you don't want to get those with any other core.

Do you have an actual catalog? If not, I'd request one from Sonlight. It is so much easier to figure out the catalog than the website IMO.

Hi Aubrey,

Just wanted to make sure you knew that if you choose core 2 then you get to pick from the 1st grade readers, 2nd grade readers, 3rd grade readers , or grade 3-5 readers and surely one of those would work for your son. You wouldn't want to use the core 3 readers as those books actually match up with the history of core 3.

quote]

Aubrey,

Actually the title of the reader packages has changed yet again. It makes it so confusing!

Anyway...with Core 2 you could get Readers 2, Readers 2 Intermediate (Used to be called Grade 3 readers last year), or Readers 2 Advanced (used to be called Grade 3-5 Readers). When you get to Core 3 the Readers 3 regular and readers 3 advanced coordinate with the history readings so you don't want to get those with any other core.

Do you have an actual catalog? If not, I'd request one from Sonlight. It is so much easier to figure out the catalog than the website IMO.[/quot

Ooops, sorry I gave the wrong name for the reader packages, I must still be living in last years catalog.

Oh, and the advice to get a print catalog is excellent, it explains things so much clearer, and is also alot of fun to look at and read.:)

I saw myself in your post. We had used SOTW for 3yrs and then was introduced to Sonlight. I love SOTW and we read many of the supplemental books, but if I did not read the book myself, I didn't spend much time discussing the book with my 4 ds.

We purchased Sonlight condensed 3 and 4 last year and are still working our way through it. We love all of the books and they just don't forget them. The IG is great for vocabulary, comprehension, and general discussion.

We still used SOTW because one of my ds took SOTW history in a co-op. This meant that we had to keep up with our SOTW reading and narration, so we did not get all of SL 3&4 finished. In my early years of homeschooling this would have bothered me immensely, but it does not bother me now. We will just keep going. I had 4 reluctant readers, but they are all slowing changing and I know it is a result of SL books. They are proud of how much they have learned too.