Menu

Eggs for Supper Ideas

I've been making lots of veggie omelettes lately. I just put in whatever veggies I have on hand.

You could lay out an "omelet bar" and let the kids throw their own fixings into the omelet. And I just looked it up, I never knew "omelet" and "omelette" were both permissible spellings. I keep picking the version that spell check does not like!

Another idea would be probably be fattening: pound cakes, cheese cakes, homemade ice cream. Delicious but fattening :tongue_smilie:

spaghetti and eggs- yum. Cook your spaghetti and drain. Crack and stir an egg for each person plus one extra. Melt a bit of butter in a saute pan, toss in the spaghetti and warm it- then add the egg and stir until the egg is cooked. We like it sprinkled with parm but that's a new thing here- I grew up without using that. I sometimes make it with veggies added- sauteed zucchini, mushrooms, broccoli, bell pepper.

My recent discovery is an idea I picked up here just the other day! Saute garlic & chopped tomatos. Add spinach & cook til wilted. Make a hollow and crack eggs into it. Cook over easy, or scramble lightly or just fry them. Salt & pepper to taste - yum!!!

The version posted here involved tomato sauce instead of chopped tomatos, which would probably be easier if you were cooking for more than two people.

Anne

Egg curry is pretty awesome.

My mom is from Spain and when she makes chicken soup it has chopped boiled eggs and ham. It's actually pretty good.

Deviled eggs

Egg tacos

Quiche

When I was little we had this dish a lot in summer. Make an omelette slice it super thin. Slice cucumber super thin (think sushi). Slice ham and spring onions super thin. Make linguine rinse them so they are cold. Pile the sliced stuff over the pasta and serve drizzled with a sauce of soy sauce, rice wine and a bit of stock (supposed to be dashi but I've used beef or chicken broth just fine). It's so slurping good.

I really enjoy a frisée salad with a poached (or fried, if I'm feeling lazy) egg on top.

There is also a recipe that I discovered this summer, where you core and sort of scrape the seeds out of a tomato, toss in some pesto (I think the original called for a spinach and basil purée but I just use jarred pesto- see "lazy" above), crack and egg in the well and bake it at 400, until the tomato is soft. (If you like your yolks runny, I tend to put the tomato in a ramekin and nuke it a bit, then throw the pesto and egg in and put the whole thing in the oven until the egg is set)

My recent discovery is an idea I picked up here just the other day! Saute garlic & chopped tomatos. Add spinach & cook til wilted. Make a hollow and crack eggs into it. Cook over easy, or scramble lightly or just fry them. Salt & pepper to taste - yum!!!

The version posted here involved tomato sauce instead of chopped tomatos, which would probably be easier if you were cooking for more than two people.

Anne

:iagree:

Salad or greens with a fried egg on top is the best!

For a super fast meal, my dh likes to make ramen noodles and then turn off the heat so it is off the boil, crack a raw egg on top and then cover it for 5 mins. The egg poaches in the hot broth and it is a very filling and cheap meal. Gosh, we haven't had ramen and eggs in years...reminds me of our early years....