Menu

Fun class ideas please

I am participating in a new co-op starting in January. I am going to teach a class for girls 10-12 based on the Anne of Green Gables series. I want to teach another class that my son can participate with me. I am stuck on ideas though.

What would your 8yo (dd or ds, doesn't matter) find fun and interesting once a week?

Classes don't have to be academic specifically so any idea is good. :)

Thanks!

You could do a Lego club, art to eat, hands on science experiments, a tinkering class where you take old or broken small appliances apart and put them back together. You could do a wilderness club. You could do survival skills type things. You could do some sort of unit on occupations boys tend to be fascinated by and see if you can get people to come in and give talks or presentations. You can do stuff related to insects. You could do some sort of sport or physical activity- even like a "Greek Games" kind of theme...

Here is what I would do:

Junk Box Challenges: http://www.sciencespot.net/Pages/junkboxprojects.html Give a challenge each week and provide the basic supplies. Let the boys work together to build a machine to do whatever the challenge is. It is a lot of fun, it's creative, the students need to think in order to design the projects, it is inexpensive, and it is educational as well.

My 7yo son is participating in two co-op classes this fall; one is art, and the other is a pirates class, based on Treasure Island. So far, he really likes both of them. Our co-op often offers a science class, with nature walks and journals, for that age group. I think a hands-on science class with experiments would be fun too. I believe Lego club was a hit with some of our co-op's boys a couple of years ago too; I think the teacher gave them an objective each time, and then they had time to build something to meet that objective, and then they discussed it.

Here is what I would do:

Junk Box Challenges: http://www.sciencespot.net/Pages/junkboxprojects.html Give a challenge each week and provide the basic supplies. Let the boys work together to build a machine to do whatever the challenge is. It is a lot of fun, it's creative, the students need to think in order to design the projects, it is inexpensive, and it is educational as well.

That looks so fun! Would love to hear other ideas.:lurk5: