Menu

I think I have fallen out of love with Right Start Math

BrookValley.

Actually, that may be a bit off the mark. I still love Right Start, I just don't want to use it anymore. I love the way it teaches concepts, I love the manipulatives...but I hate the approach. The way topics (such as shapes/geometry, days of the week, etc.) jump around tweaks me to no end. I never thought we would be a big worksheet/worktext family, but the lack of written practice bothers me. In general, I feel it is cumbersome, and I started to dread pulling it out every day.

So, I downloaded Math Mammoth a couple days ago. *sweet relief*

I hear ya. We are using RS A, and REALLY love the approach. It is perfect for my ds right now, but just as sure as it is great for now, we will be moving to MM as soon as we finish RS A. :tongue_smilie: that really always was the plan. I love the simplicity of MM and that it is so conceptual. I think RS A is going to set ds up perfectly for MM.

I just wondered. We used A for K and B for 1st but then after B we switched programs.

Yes, we just used A and B as well. I think RS is a great "first math" along with some miquon and c-rod play. After that we move on to MM, which I really like. My son is doing MM4 now, and things are still going smoothly.

It seems like a lot of people only use the first couple of levels for RS. I have never looked at RS C, so I can't comment on it, I've been happy enough with MM to not second guess myself. :tongue_smilie:

FWIW, I really dislike the format of A, but I love, love, :001_wub: RS B. B is much less "spiral" and actually has a logical sequence. Honestly, I wish that Dr. Cotter had kept B as the original entry point to RS and not added A.

I agree, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE B. Can't think of anything that could be better. We jumped ship to Singapore after C for my son though and my daughter is not doing C

I started my son with B, we are now in C. I got A for my 5yo. I can't stand it. So I'm waiting until he's a little more mature and I'll just start him in B. I don't think it hurts to wait. FWIW, we skip a lot of the clock/days of the week/money type lessons because we cover those in other areas of life.

I supplemented B with MM to calm my worksheet worries, it definitely helped, and now I don't feel like we need to. I totally get why MM would be a relief after teaching RS! I'm glad you've found what works for you.

Agreeing with all the others...

We tried A last your for K and I couldn't stand it. I bought B used, and am so happy I tried B. My son loves it, I love it, and like someone else said, I also skip the calendar parts of the lesson because we are covering it elsewhere. I find myself flipping ahead often because I'm curious to see where things are going, and it's always interesting! I think of the geometry things as logic type stuff at this stage.

Well, glad to see it isn't just me. But it sounds like B is better...oh, decisions. I don't want to curriculum hop, so my thought was if I'm going to switch, I should just do it and be done with it before we get too into the weeds with anything.

A was boring. B is great, but it is soooooo much work. We often skip to something else and come back. My dd likes more workbook-type math.

I'm not going to lie, the fact that with MM I can just hand my kiddo a notebook with worksheets in it and let him go at it is pretty great. While I do love working with him on things, I do work full time from home; it's awful nice to have him working on something independently right next to me. He can read pretty well, so except for the occasional explanation or introduction of a new skill, I can pretty much hand him a worksheet/text and let him do his thing. This is saving us time to take care of other subjects and activities where I do need to be 100% involved.

We went from A through 1/2 of C though it was never a good fit for me and so I did try some other options at various points.

I am really happy with the foundation (place value and mental math) those early levels laid for us. The spiral through approach never fit me well. I want to see clearly where I'm going, why, and the path I'll be taking. RS didn't ever do that for me. That is why I tried other things at various points some a little more sincerely than others but I kept coming back to RS because I felt some of their approach just couldn't be beat. I'm still glad I used it. I'm also glad I'm finally done!

I hope Math Mammoth continues to be a good fit for you!

Edited by sbgrace