Menu

Literature/fiction for a World Geography year?

alisoncooks

It seems like every year of history study has tons of great historical fiction -- so many I can't even fit them all in!

But then -- if one does a world geography year -- it seems the options are pretty much limited to missionary stories and cultural folk tale compilations.

Any good fiction that would be great for this year? I've seen the Beautiful Feet collection, but think it's aged higher than what I'd need.

Anything where the main character travels from place to place and learns about *stuff*? :p (I'm tempted to add in the Sassafras Science in for this....)

TIA. :)

I downloaded an e-book during Scholastic $1 days called -Around the World with Picture books. The assignments are more mid-elementary but the books would be great! They vary in length from short picture books to long picture/chapter books.

The other resource I have was a download from someone on the Hive called Literature Based Geography, it has lists of books by country. Maybe they will pipe in and give a link again. I looked at my file but it doesn't have any contact/owner info in it.

The other ones would be Seabird by Holling and Around the World in 100 days.

That all I've got! Hope you enjoy your year of geography-sounds fantastic! The sample of MFW ECC give a little breakdown of how they add ecosystem study to different continents if you want to add some science.

slightly off topic. Children just like me is an oft used resource. My copy arrived the other day and I checked the new Zealand entry first (since I am a new Zealander). There is nothing wrong with the entry but it would be representative of less than 1% of the population. Are the other entries similar?

My kids learned a lot about London from the Paddington books. My family and I are actually working on our first book using the concept you suggest (a character traveling the world) but it will be a while before we are done.

A non-book suggestion is the DVD series - Families of the World (http://www.familiesoftheworld.com) . Our public library has them and they are excellent for elementary age students (but entertaining enough for older kids and moms to enjoy too!). They are 15 minute 'stories' of the daily life of a child in another country.