Menu

My French is pathetic

I am trying to learn French along with my dd. I have about 3 months experience, so take this for what it's worth: Our book taught a memory technique called CaReFuL to remember what ending sounds to pronounce. You only pronounce the last letter if it is C, R, F, or L. Also, R sounds kind of like H, and G is like J. That's all I know so far but maybe it will help you a little.

A quick tip: Dumas is not pronounced "Dumb*ss" as I once heard a visitor to Montreal use it. :lol:

If you want to send me a list, I can give you the pronunciations. erind35@yahoo.ca

:lol: It's pretty pathetic, but I /think/ I'm close on his name. ;-)

Should I email it, or just post it here? It's mostly the character list and a few place names.

" Dum-as" heehee! That's a good one.

(Doo-mah would be better, btw)

I sympathize. I have no idea what to do with many foreign words when I'm reading. As a teen I used to read historical romances, and the authors would include lots of French phrases. It drove me nuts that they wouldn't include the translation. And that, friends, is the real reason I took four years of French in high school. :D

A quick tip: Dumas is not pronounced "Dumb*ss" as I once heard a visitor to Montreal use it. :lol:

If you want to send me a list, I can give you the pronunciations. erind35@yahoo.ca

:lol::lol:

This is an ongoing joke at our house. One of my "pet names" for DH when he's acting like a Dumb@$$ is Dumas (Doo-mah). Or if I call him the first word, he'll correct me "My name is Dumas, thank you very much!" and vice versa - "That's DumbAss, to you". LOL

It's all in good fun. Words of endearment around here (my whole extended family) include, dork, geek, nerd, "Dumas", loser, etc. So if you're "called a name" in my family, you're very much loved and are considered part of the family. A text between my siblings and I will usually start with something like "Hey Loser..." or "Whatcha doin', Dork?" etc.

Pronunciation when I'm reading to myself doesn't bother me. Much. But when I'm reading out loud? Oy!

Ok, here's the list along with my guesses after reading this thread:

Aramis [air-uh-mee?]

Vannes [von?]

Fouquet [foo-quay?]

Colbert [coal-bear?]

Vaux [voe?]

D'Artagnon [dee-arr-tag-non?]

Baisemaux [bays-moe?]

I think Porthos and Athos are straight forward, but maybe I'm wrong? They don't seem French to me... [porth-ohs & ath-ohs?]

We're only through ch. 6 of the adaptation [which is only ~20 chapters], but I suspect these are the main characters.

Pronunciation when I'm reading to myself doesn't bother me. Much. But when I'm reading out loud? Oy!

Ok, here's the list along with my guesses after reading this thread:

Aramis [air-uh-mee?]

Vannes [von?]

Fouquet [foo-quay?]

Colbert [coal-bear?]

Vaux [voe?]

D'Artagnon [dee-arr-tag-non?]

Baisemaux [bays-moe?]

I think Porthos and Athos are straight forward, but maybe I'm wrong? They don't seem French to me... [porth-ohs & ath-ohs?]

We're only through ch. 6 of the adaptation [which is only ~20 chapters], but I suspect these are the main characters.

I'm not French - I just took it in school, and most of these look close enough except D'Artagnon. It's more like Dar-tan-yon.