Menu

I should say that we are now using Elementary Greek book 2 and it's going great. My intent was to have DD learn Classical Greek, but since DD also wants to read the NT in Greek, we started with Koine.

I have Athenaze, all the materials in fact, but the font size really bugs me. Otherwise, we could have started. The thought of having to make enlarged copies stops me from using it.

ETA: I just re-read your post and I think Athenaze would be a good choice since your kids are older and font size wouldn't matter. There's a TM from Rainbow Resource. Also, Athenaze has a separate workbook in addition to the textbook.

Edited by crazyforlatin

I second Athenaze. My DS did Vol. 1 last year in 7th & is doing Vol. 2 this year in 8th, both with Lukeion; he had no prior experience with either Latin or Greek when he started. I think if your kids already have some Latin, they shouldn't have any trouble with Athenaze. It's a terrific program — Greek is DS's favorite subject. :)

Jackie

Would Hey Andrew be something to hand a teenager? I guess it depends upon the teenager. I used it with my youngest a few years ago. My oldest thought it way too young for her. But, she did enjoy going over it with her younger sister and did learn a fair amount while helping. I don't know about awarding credit for it though. Someone else would have to answer that question.

This makes me really want to start Greek with my boys. Did you do any other program like Greek Code Cracker to learn the alphabet first? Can we judy dive into EG 1?

Yes, as a matter of fact, dd DID do Code-Cracker (I think she was 8 or 9 at the time?) and had a great time with it. Her desire to learn Greek is completely self-motivated. She's a language lover, and I thought she'd take Latin like big sis, but she was attracted to the "alternative alphabet" of Greek. Another reason Code Cracker appealed. She dove right in to EG1 and actuallly skipped the first few lessons because she already knew the alphabet.

She also took a free lecture from Regan Barr at Lukeion.org on learning the Greek alphabet in an hour, but that was after she did Code Cracker. He does that lecture once in awhile, so you could look in to that. Her original goal was to take Greek with Mr. Barr starting next year, but now she has a schedule conflict, so she will probably take it somewhere else. She has taken some workshops with him and my oldest dd took Latin with Mrs. Barr, so I'm just putting in another plug for Lukeion for anyone else who's reading this!

Hope this helps!

We went through the Greek Code Cracker and are now working S-L-O-W-L-Y through Greek to GCSE. Galore Park was supposed to be coming out with a new Greek Program, So You Really Want To Learn Greek, next month, which I was hoping to use, but now it's listed as out of print. Very confusing. Now I have to revise my plan!

ETA: Apparently the name has been changed from SYRWTL to Introduction to Classical Greek. At least I'm assuming that's it, since they've put that book out with the same publication date as SYRWTL was supposed to come out. Yay.

ETA (again): You can get a preview of the ItCG (which looks awesome) on the Galore Park website. There's a button below that reads View Contents and Sample Chapter.

Where is the Greek to GCSE study group????? I NEED IT!

Edited by Mom in High Heels

Where is the Greek to GCSE study group????? I NEED IT!

I PM'ed you more details, but the list is here: http://www.quasillum.com/study/greekstudy.php

I believe there are 2 groups using this series. One will go faster, and serve as a review for people who have some Greek and need to brush up. The other will be a beginner group.

Here is where both groups are listed: http://www.quasillum.com/greek/greek-activities.php#GCSE-1-BEG

Now I'm going to bow out before I get the urge to buy yet another Greek curriculum! :auto:

I second Athenaze. My DS did Vol. 1 last year in 7th & is doing Vol. 2 this year in 8th, both with Lukeion; he had no prior experience with either Latin or Greek when he started. I think if your kids already have some Latin, they shouldn't have any trouble with Athenaze. It's a terrific program — Greek is DS's favorite subject. :)

Jackie

:iagree: my ds is in the same class and it has become his passion. It would have been very difficult to get to this level on our own, the class has been amazing.