Menu

Is there any hope for this situation?

I am supposed to go out to dinner with old high school friends on Saturday. This is a huge deal for a couple of them and involved about a month of back-and-forth e-mails until they found the exact day that everyone could come. The restaurant is a Chinese dumpling and noodle house.

Since then, my naturopath decided that I should go gluten free. She didn't decide this based on any particular tests or symptoms other than the fact that I have fibro. I'm doing it because I tend to listen to doctors at least initially and wanted to give it a try anyway.

So - this restaurant is (as I mentioned) a dumpling and noodle house. What do I do? While part of me just wants to cancel going, I gave my word and I do feel that outside of a true emergency that I should keep my word to go. I looked up the restaurant's menu. No ingredients are given other than the names of dishes. There is a glass noodle soup (bean threads) with fried bean curd (tofu) and pork rolls but I'm sure it is has soy sauce in the broth. There is fried rice but that is going to include soy sauce.

So - since I'm not convinced that I need to go gf anyway, do I just eat whatever? Or should I try to eat less and choose things like the fried rice or glass noodles which would not have as much? I can't just not eat because I just can't.

Call the restaraunt.

There was a place in our old city that we adored for Chinese. If they knew you were gf, they'd prep specially, incl a gf soya sauce. The waiter would walk you through the menu..."You can have this. NOT THAT! And this...and this...NO, YOU CAN'T HAVE THAT!" :lol:

Is the goal of attending the dinnner to eat or to socialize with friends?

As vegans, we've gone to a lot of restaurant meals at which we ate over-priced, plain baked potatoes (or nothing) because our agenda was to be with friends. The food is unimportant.

In your situation, I'd call ahead and speak to the chef or someone knowledgeable about the menu. Explain your situation and ask what would be the best bet or if they can make something to meet your needs. Since you're unconvinced this is a huge deal for you, at that point, I'd do my best to select the thing least likely to be problematic, eat sparingly and enjoy the time with friends, which is pretty much the point, anyway, right? (You can always have a snack when you get home.)

Personally I would call and see if there are some things you can eat, like plain meat or veggies, if that fails I'd talk to them about bringing my own food. If that didn't work I'd eat directly before, even arriving early and eating in the car if need be and bring food to eat afterwards to eat if needed as well(if blood sugar is an issue and it goes long). I might also mention that your stay is limited because you need to eat to leave.

Most restaurants are aware of allergies and intolerances. Just talk it over with your server. They would prefer you said something up front than have to resend a dish back to the kitchen to try again with fresh stuff. Don't ask me how I know...

At Chinese places, tofu, vegetables and rice noodles are okay. Make sure you ask for Tamari which is soy -based, soy sauce tasting but without the wheat. All regular soy sauces have wheat thus gluten.

If you have to be diligent, you have to ask them to make your dish fresh without any previous ingredients in the pan. This is where it is hard for me to be insistent. If the food is cooked in a pan that had previous ingredients that are allergic, it will carry over to your dish.

This is not only important in Chinese restaurants but any kind. I was happy to find a place that sells gluten-free pizza but they have to cook it on a newly clean pan.

If I read it right, you don't have a gluten-allergy but possibly a gluten intolerance? If so, that is easier to deal with because if there is cross contamination, it's not as dire.

Go to the restaurant. You'll be happy you did.

~Melissa

A general reply to your advice so far:

I will call the restaurant. Excellent idea!

Praire, yes it is supposed to be a gf trial. I've been tested twice for gluten problems with blood tests. And I did a gf trial once before with no signs of anything. So part of me is wondering why I"m doing this again. But at home it is easy because I was already low carb and all but one of the condiments in my pantry were gluten free anyway. But when I'm out, Oy Vey! I have much sympathy for those of you with celiac and other severe gluten problems.

It's obviously not a case of gf or die, and we're talking about a dinner that's just in a couple of days. Why not just defer starting your gf diet until after the dinner? The dinner is, as you say, a big deal. The gf (in terms of time necessity), is not.