Menu

Looking for 3x week grammar?

Tabrett

I'm looking for grammar that is only done 3x a week for 2nd and 3rd grade. I really love R&S, but I don't like skipping so many lessons to make it what I want. I would prefer a workbook type format. I don't want it to have a lot of writing (I have a writing program).

Any suggestions?

First Language Lessons 2 and 3 are scheduled out for 3 times a week to finish the book in one "normal" school year...

FLL 2 doesn't have a workbook, but directions for *simple* written work is in the text. I combined FLL 2 with the Abeka Language 2 workbook (and skipped the writing exercises in Abeka). FLL was the teaching, and Abeka was independent work for the student. It worked very well to give written work of grammar concepts. The scope and sequence of both books wasn't the same, but close enough for my taste. :)

ETA: FLL 3 does have a student workbook...

Edited by Zoo Keeper

First Language Lessons is done 3x a week. My dd enjoys it.

Along those lines is Emma Serl Primary Language Lessons. My dd likes PLL free here:

http://books.google.com/books?id=JfAsAQAAMAAJ&pg=PR3&lpg=PR3&dq=primary+language+lessons&source=bl&ots=RVa7PV1qEu&sig=6UGvQ_KTJBb2DUA8ZEIR3785Mio&hl=en&sa=X&ei=Idd9UNiTCMX5igLmloHQDw&sqi=2&ved=0CEIQ6AEwAw

Ella

Edited by elladarcy

I kind of feel that any grammar can be made into this schedule, even if it is "scheduled" differently. I sometimes feel we paint ourselves into these boxes. Now that I am homeschooling, I feel liberated to be the boss and make adjustments to any curriculum....though like you we are looking for a new grammar program.

I will likely hold off until next year.

We use and like EasyGrammar. It's a work book format, is doable by kids independently much of the time, etc.

There are 180 days of lessons/activities in each year, but they're quick. We have the kids do 2 pages, 3x per week - it takes them like 15-20 minutes. They'll finish in ~32 weeks of schooling (180 / 6 per week + 2 weeks to memorize the prepositions and helping verb lists, etc).

I kind of feel that any grammar can be made into this schedule, even if it is "scheduled" differently. I sometimes feel we paint ourselves into these boxes. Now that I am homeschooling, I feel liberated to be the boss and make adjustments to any curriculum....though like you we are looking for a new grammar program. I will likely hold off until next year.

:iagree: We've always done grammar this way but usually only 2x a week. Sometimes it has been R&S, sometimes Abeka, or Easy Grammar. Make it work for you. I think alternating grammar with writing or other skills creates a good balance.

We use and like EasyGrammar. It's a work book format, is doable by kids independently much of the time, etc.

There are 180 days of lessons/activities in each year, but they're quick. We have the kids do 2 pages, 3x per week - it takes them like 15-20 minutes. They'll finish in ~32 weeks of schooling (180 / 6 per week + 2 weeks to memorize the prepositions and helping verb lists, etc).

I second this, but with a bonus. The older edition books are 2 grades in 1. Like 1 book is 2nd/3rd grades, second is 3rd/4th grades. That is exactly why I picked the older versions. So, we take 1 book and split it up and work on it for 2 years. Since they are around 200/215 lessons (pages) per book- you get about 2 years of work if you do it every other day.

I also love the initial focus on prepositions. It makes picking out all the other stuff so much easier. It is very much a black and white workbook with only the writing in it. But it gets done and over in a few minutes so no big deal here.