Menu

A bathroom update...

So here's the old bathroom in this thread here.

And here is our just about finished new bathroom. I still have to frame the mirror in wood trim which will be painted white. I also hung a nice decorative brushed nickel towel hook between the shower and little basket shelf above the toilet. There are a couple more things to add and I'll be finished. I plan to frame beach scenes using pictures I've taken over the years in various cheaper decorative frames that I've painted like the dark brown cabinets. I'll hang those above the towel hooks across from the cabinets. I lined all the cabinet shelves and drawers with black contact paper. They needed it and it looks much nicer in there. I still need to build and install a couple of shelves in the backside of the bottom of the tall cabinet. I made the ribbon hangers on the small baskets with snaps so I could remove them if need be. They were easy to do, but I did slice my thumb wide open after having to remove one that I accidentally put on backwards, lol.

Oh and ds declared the basket over the toilet with a few rolls of paper (as he's sitting in there asking someone for paper, not even noticing the ones above his head when he walked in) as I walked by and told him to look behind him: "The BEST invention EVER!" Thank you Pinterest. I just won the Smartest Mom award yesterday, :D

post-32706-13535087675331_thumb.jpg

What was done/replaced:

sink faucet, painted cabinets, new hardware on drawers and cabinets, walls painted, baskets, new TP holder, handtowel ring, and towel rod, plus contact paper, light fixture, trim around mirror.

total: approx $300. Just the sink alone to replace would have cost us over $400 as it was a custom size...I would have still wanted to replace and paint everything else anyways. So we saved a bit and we'll use the extra money on replacing the vanity top in our master bathroom...which is definitely going as it's evergreen cultured marble...ugh.

post-32706-13535087644211_thumb.jpg

post-32706-13535087673212_thumb.jpg

post-32706-13535087674249_thumb.jpg

post-32706-1353508767493_thumb.jpg

Edited by CountryGirl2

It looks great! Where did you find those little baskets you hung on the towel rack? Or did you make them?

hmmm, basket making. Not a hobby I've tried yet. :D

I bought them at Hobby Lobby. They've got tons of decor items and crafts there. Think Micheals, only waaaaay bigger.

It looks lovely!!!! I wish you had some spare money to stock up on toilet paper.:lol::lol::lol:

Great job!

LOL. What is it with kids and TP? It disappears faster than candy! I swear I need stock in some TP company...

Fortunately for ds I have the entire upper part of the tall cabinet filled with the stuff. I also check the basket each morning just in case. I was so tired of someone yelling about needing TP while they were on the loo, lol :D

Your bathroom is the reverse set-up of my cabinets, and I've been thinking about attempting this bathroom too. (Now that I've got the hang of my power tools due to Ana White ;)) Did you use the paint extender to reduce brush strokes? I'm wondering how you thought it worked.

BTW, your bathroom looks great! Also, in all of your projects, have you ever hung drywall?

Your bathroom is the reverse set-up of my cabinets, and I've been thinking about attempting this bathroom too. (Now that I've got the hang of my power tools due to Ana White ;)) Did you use the paint extender to reduce brush strokes? I'm wondering how you thought it worked.

BTW, your bathroom looks great! Also, in all of your projects, have you ever hung drywall?

I did not use a brush extender liquid. Didnt need it. Used a foam roller, latex water based paint with primer. Deglosser to remove the finish (which was not thick). Now, it can scrape off a little, but can be touched up easily and my kids are big now. Maybe going the kilz and oil based would provide more durability. I dont know. There are no brush strokes or roller strokes. Make sure you tape well...painters tape is your friend!

Dry wall is not hard to do. We just hung some in our other bathroom. You tube and the library had some good videos and books.

It looks great! I want to know how you hung the basket over the toilet.

Nails, lol. Long thin ones, set at an angle. You can't see them though unless you're looking closely. Picture hangers and tight wire would work as well, or screws (but if they aren't dark, you'd see the head of those). These particular baskets are fairly soft sided so it was easy to level out the nail placement, then hang the basket on them.

$300!? It looks fantastic! I love what you did with the baskets.

We're in the middle of a 2 bathroom remodel here (we're all using our basement grungy, rustic bathroom - yay). Our house was built in 1915 and these 2 bathrooms were so ridiculously overdue between the original plumbing, falling off tile, lead paint, asbestos tile, the works. We had to gut down to the studs and replace sub floor, all plumbing, new electric, etc. We're about 4 weeks out from being done yet. Tilers will be here tomorrow - sheet rock is done. We really had to replace EVERYTHING. It will cost plenty more than $300 (don't I wish - I think each toilet was more than 300).

$300!? It looks fantastic! I love what you did with the baskets.

We're in the middle of a 2 bathroom remodel here (we're all using our basement grungy, rustic bathroom - yay). Our house was built in 1915 and these 2 bathrooms were so ridiculously overdue between the original plumbing, falling off tile, lead paint, asbestos tile, the works. We had to gut down to the studs and replace sub floor, all plumbing, new electric, etc. We're about 4 weeks out from being done yet. Tilers will be here tomorrow - sheet rock is done. We really had to replace EVERYTHING. It will cost plenty more than $300 (don't I wish - I think each toilet was more than 300).

Wow! That is a lot of work. Our house is ~22 years old if I remember correctly. Nothing was done to update it before we bought it (except a new roof which was I feel done poorly by whomever did so and we plan to hopefuly rectify in the next couple of years).

I will wait to do the kitchen until I talk with a cabinet maker (stopping by there tomorrow). I need a door made to match another for the sink and I hope they can do it. I'm sure they can. It is just like the other cabinet doors (custom throughout this house).

I will also wait until the work in the master bathroom is complete. Having both bathrooms torn up was less than fun, lol. I'm also in my kitchen a lot so it's going to be a bit of an upheaval for me. I'm estimating two weeks of crockpot/premade oven meals for my family with kids putting sides together. I want to have everything ready and prepared in the freezer before I start. It will be one less hassle. Plus though DH enjoys the finished product, having too much mess around at one time tends to start to annoy him, causing him to start bugging me on when I will be done. :glare: I don't like being rushed, lol.

I'm thinking of going with a chalk paint for the kitchen in a distressed white/grey. I'm exploring color choices though right now and adding them to my home improvement notebook. I love having all my ideas down on paper and color swatches or pictures added for reference. I have black appliances and a reddish brick composite floor so I'm working with color schemes now.