Menu

When you have to adjust your dreams...(medically related)

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

We did vision therapy dd's entire senior year. One thing I learned in hindsight, don't take SATs when you are not up to it. Dd got a good score in May, so we eeked it out. I will PM you as well.

Dd was doing much better by the end of the year, so was determined to go on to college. She is doing well. But I was open to letting her take a gap year. In your case, I wonder if taking two years to complete her senior year would help? If she is not feeling well, she probably won't go straight to college. Or if you have enough credits, you could graduate her and let her take a class or two at CC if she wants.

Both of my dc chose to stay home and attend the local university, so if you have one close by, maybe you could talk to admissions (with your dd's approval).

It is a good thing that she has good doctors. I had to drive far away for ours, and it got very old.

:grouphug::grouphug:

We have been in that boat too. Lyme Disease turned our formally incredibly bright high schooler into a physical and cognitive mess. Some days are better now, there is progress on the horizon but the last two years have been incredibly difficult for her.

Hope and pray things will get better for your daughter, physical health takes priority. I know it is probably very frustrating for her as well as scary, being a teen is hard enough when you are well sometimes.

Thanks to all for your support. I was feeling a little overwhelmed last night when I decided to post about this. We're off to visit the counselor and neurologist today, so maybe we'll figure out something to help. :001_smile:

:grouphug:

Support is good, it can be such a hard thing. I hope they can help her. Keep us posted. :grouphug::grouphug:

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I'm sorry.

My son is younger but he's been sick off and on for nearly 3 years, with allergy/sinus troubles resulting in surgery, and more recently, nausea that is unexplained. His high school years are not going well at all. So I can relate to what you are going through.

We had to adjust our dreams big time with both sons. With one, we dreamed too low; with the other, perhaps too high.

It can be hard either way--I am used to protecting one, and now my role has changed. College may not be in the plans for the other; it was humbling to find out how biased against non-college opportunities we were, and we have repented of pride.

I'm so sorry for you, but new paths, while not what we expect, can turn out to be filled with blessings. :grouphug:

Your daughter is very blessed to have a mother so caring and supportive. :grouphug:

Only thing I can suggest is that I too used to make myself physically ill when I was younger if there was something exciting coming up. My parents either didn't recognize that it was a form of anxiety, or at least they never discussed it with me or helped me with coping strategies. I do recall, however, that they did treat my physical symptoms (vomiting) with Emetrol. I don't know if that particular medication is still used/available, but perhaps you could ask her doctor about prescribing something she can take either for those times of anxiety (like Xanax?) Or at least something to allevieate the nausea (like perhaps Zofran?).

So happy for you that you have wonderful doctors and a path to take! It must have been really hard for your family and your daughter. APD is so tough because the processing gaps are so hard to fill. Hope things start to improve. Knowing about the doctor's dyslexia must be so affirming for your daughter :001_smile:.

NJKelli, First of all, big huge hugs. Second, I know exactly what you're going through. We've been dealing with this for a year now. My 12yr old son has been dealing with chronic nausea and fatigue since February. The fatigue started in Fall of 2012. In Feb, the nausea began. He was at that time diagnosed with Lyme Disease. He was put on antibiotics which destroyed his intestinal system. He was so sick and vomiting, he couldn't get off the couch for 30days. He got better for 2 weeks and we thought cured. Then the nausea returned. HE was put on another antiobiotic for 30days. That antibiotic didn't hurt or help. Since then he's had an endoscopy/colonoscopy with about 10 different biopsies as well as abdominal ultrasound, stool cultures .... everything NEGATIVE. The pedi GI doc suggested anxiety. It did seem to fit a mild depression and the best thing we could do was to get him back into life. Get him back to playing soccer and TKD. Subsequent with illness, he missed a TKD belt test, then tested after not being there for 2 mths and didn't pass which was devastating for him. Then his travel soccer team dissolved. He tried out for another team which would have him playing a year up. Before every practice, he would be practically in tears, near vomiting in the car but he would then be fine once he started playing. Sadly, he didn't make the team, mostly b/c his stamina is just not there after being sick any lying on a couch for a year.

We think DS has become anxious over his illness and about not getting better. But he gets nauseous still after he eats. He lost a lot of weight but that has stabilized and he was very skinny to begin with. HE also suffered memory loss w/ the Lyme disease and that really shook him up.

And while all this was going on initially, my husband was being treated for malignant thyroid cancer. So yep, a lot going on. That has sense thankfully been taken care of and DH is fine.

I know my son has, what do that call it? Over excitability??? He has EXTREMELY sensitive taste buds, sensitive to sound, extremely sensitive to pain and hyperfocuses on the least scratch. He was like this as an infant. He would get overstimulated and then cry for hours. This to say that ALL of these have gotten MUCH worse over the past few months. I think that something has happened in his brain. THe Dr said it could be a result of the Lyme disease triggering something.

Please, if you get any more info on your DD could you let me know? THis might not be my son's issue but anything we can rule out is a step in the right direction. I will look into getting a pedi neurology consultation scheduled for him.

Capt Uhura

We had two very interesting appointments today. Both the counselor and the neurologist think that a big part of the trouble, the nausea and fatigue, is due to dd's underlying processing disorder which, basically, is stressing out her entire system. They are not convinced at all that she's dealing with anxiety in the typical sense. They both expressed this even though they never consulted with each other! It was almost eerie.

The neurologist wants the GI doctor to pick up the pace and do an endoscopy to determine once and for all if there's any physical cause to explain the GI problems. And he has a plan to help dd.

I think he spent over an hour with us, and I know other patients were waiting. He was so incredibly thorough and covered all bases. I was really amazed. I don't know if he is right, but he certainly thought it through carefully--he read ten years worth of reports before our appointment!--and he was very convincing. Best of all, he asked dd speak for herself and express what she wanted to accomplish from this visit, and he reassured her on many different levels.

And...he is DYSLEXIC, which dd thought was awesome. She knew he really understood processing issues from the inside. He said he didn't realize he was dyslexic until he was grown up. He just thought he was dumb.

I feel so much better now and will hope for the best.

I am impressed by your doctor. I just wish there were more Drs like him. In my family, I am the one who has had to adjust since I am the one with the health issues (autoimmune). I know it can do a number on your self esteem, especially if you start comparing your 'old self' and all you could do to your 'new self' and all of your limitations, or if you start looking at what other people are able to do. It can be very depressing. I feel for your daughter and your family. :grouphug: You are blessed to have such an understanding and helpful doctor.

Thanks NJKelli! I'll keep your family in my thoughts! Nathan had a bad episode last night at dinner. It's sad and frustrating. He is just so different from what he used to be. We're on vacation and he has been completely normal and then bam, he complained of nausea before dinner, then went to dinner and his food was the tiniest bit spicy then couldn't get him to eat anything or try anything else. Then he couldn't walk back to the hotel which of course gets DH upset. Then DS starts to cry and begins his "I'm dizzy" and stumbling....it's a downward spiral. He did recover by the time we got home b/c DH and my other son raced us running while we hopped on the trolley so that bit of fun and excitement broke him out of it. We don't know what is just personality, anxiety, some underlying as yet undiagnosed disorders which then triggers anxiety..... and he's a drama queen as it is so where one ends and a real issue begins is unknown.