Menu

California Folks - Private School Affidavit Time

You know, I saved your reminder from last year, I was telling dh this weekend that it was time, and then completely forgot. Thank you! This is our first year filing!

ETA: Uh oh. I put it off and never actually looked closely at that thing. May I pm you with any questions, please?

Edited by theYoungerMrsWarde

You know, I saved your reminder from last year, I was telling dh this weekend that it was time, and then completely forgot. Thank you! This is our first year filing!

ETA: Uh oh. I put it off and never actually looked closely at that thing. May I pm you with any questions, please?

Sure. I am taking my youngest to swimming lessons in a minute, but I will be back later.

Thanks for the reminder! Here is a link to line-by-line instructions for those who need it (like me). :D

http://www.hsc.org/index.php

VERY helpful, thank you!

33-37 Custodian of Records (on the line by line helping document) it says

All persons operating private schools must maintain attendance records, records of courses of study offered, and the names, addresses and qualifications of the faculty,

Are there guidelines for this? Is there a required amount of hours/days for CA? And would my "qualifications" be my high school diploma, or "N/A" ?

Edited by theYoungerMrsWarde

I did mine yesterday :D

Does anyone know if the number you get means anything? It seems I've heard it has something to do with the number of PSAs filed. Two years ago, I filed on October 1st and got a 5-digit number. Last year, I filed on the 11th and got a 6-digit. I was surprised to get a 6-digit when I registered on the morning of the 1st this year!

VERY helpful, thank you!

33-37 Custodian of Records (on the line by line helping document) it says

Are there guidelines for this? Is there a required amount of hours/days for CA? And would my "qualifications" be my high school diploma, or "N/A" ?

Well, last I heard CA public schools did 180 days, though because of budget cuts, they're thinking about lowering that. I just go by PS standards as my minimum.

There are no mandatory hours/days for private schools in California. That means you. :) The Ed. Code says that private schools are supposed to keep track of days *absent*, not days present; since homeschooled children are always present, there are never any absences, lol.

There is no definition of what "persons capable of teaching" means, so your "qualifications" are whatever you have. Where are you thinking you need to indicate "high school diploma" or "N/A"?

There are no mandatory hours/days for private schools in California. That means you. :) The Ed. Code says that private schools are supposed to keep track of days *absent*, not days present; since homeschooled children are always present, there are never any absences, lol.

There is no definition of what "persons capable of teaching" means, so your "qualifications" are whatever you have. Where are you thinking you need to indicate "high school diploma" or "N/A"?

Because:

School Records

The person named as Custodian of Records below maintains attendance records required by EC Section 48222 and the records of courses of study, names, addresses, and educational qualifications of the faculty, as required by subdivisions (f)(2) and (3) of EC Section 33190. Such records are true and accurate and are accessible at the place or through the person listed here.

Those were the only thing I could think of for listing my educational qualifications.I see that I don't actually have to put it on the affidavit, but would it come up in an audit?

Those were the only thing I could think of for listing my educational qualifications.I see that I don't actually have to put it on the affidavit, but would it come up in an audit?

Nope. Don't worry about it. There was a kerfuffle in the courts a few years ago, but ultimately it was determined that parents don't have to have a teaching credential to teach their own children under the PSA.

And don't worry about an 'audit'. Seriously. If anything happens, and it almost certainly won't, the most you'll get is a truancy officer showing up on your doorstep. You can show him your PSA and he'll be on his way. But considering the financial crisis our state is in, a lot of counties can't even afford a truancy officer any more. And the way our schools are going down the toilet, home schooling is not considered such an odd choice as it might have been even 10-15 yrs ago.

Here's a link to put your mind at ease:

http://www.hsc.org/legalprivateschooloption.php

HTH!

Because:

I don't know of anyone who has ever been "audited," and I filed my first affidavit in 1982. And I was not a nobody when I hsed in California. Just sayin'...:D

The only qualification for teachers in private schools is that they be "persons capable of teaching." There is no definition of what that means. Many professional educators believe that it means that there is a degree of some kind, but the law does not say that. Also, the law doesn't say "educational qualifications." It says "qualifications." You should always pay attention to those small details. :)

The form I used for the parents in my PSP just had stuff like years of education, graduated from high school or not (and name of high school), college or not, experience teaching in Sunday school, scouts, etc., and so on. It was a very official-looking form. :D All you'd need to do is write that stuff down, but, as I said, the possibility that you'd ever have to show it to anyone is miniscule.