Menu

Moving to a computer-based school environment

OT said today to get as much of DS's school work onto the computer as possible and to eliminate all penmanship/writing at this time. (Will work on adding it back in, as therapy progresses.)

I am a bit :001_huh: about what that will involve, though I do agree that it is probably the best course of action right now.

Thankfully, we are almost done with our school year so I have time to research what I want to do for 2013.

In the immediate, though... I was planning on focusing on the basics for the remainder of this year. Approx. 5th grade.

Typing - Need to get proficient at it

Writing - Will hinge on typing. I have tried to do his writing for him, but that is rough going. Any suggestions?

Spelling - We use AAS, so I can have him do more with letter tiles - will try and use computer more but that hinges on typing

Grammar - Suggestions? We were using FLL, but it has too much writing. Any computer or workbook suggestions?

Math - This has been our big hangup lately. :tongue_smilie: Ideas?

I am not worried about science or history right now.

I don't know what else I might be forgetting right now.

How would you go about cutting out all pencil/pen work?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Learning.com offers an inexpensive typing program. It is very simple. The same website offers a math program called Adaptive Technology.

Much of what I teach, if I don't want to use computer based programs I just scribe on behalf of DS. Sometimes I just don't require the written component and we discuss the topic instead. Often I will write the answers on a white board as we discuss then erase and move forward.

You can also use a whiteboard with you doing the scribing. That way you can keep some of the programs that are working.

On typing, Dvorak has been a MIRACLE here, highly recommend. We use the Mavis Beacon software for mac. We tried typing for years before, and she seemed to get worse instead of better, reverting to pecking when she tried to go faster. Dvorak rearranges the keyboard layout to be more efficient. On my mac it's a simple toggle. I set her user account up to default to Dvorak, while my user account on the same computer is QWERTY. My dh worried about future computers, but it's not really an issue. They all toggle. It's even an option to change the layout on the ipad, hehe. It made a huge, huge difference for us. Like she went from 8 wpm and PECKING to 40 wpm and proficient touch-typing in just a few months.

And yes, it makes a huge difference in their ability to get their thoughts out when they can touch type. Last year was when we had the typing turnaround, and that helped her be able to get her thoughts out. But she still needed that hyper-quiet, limited distraction environment. This year is turning out to be really different. She actually just sits down and does her writing, without grief, something I've never seen her do before. We've been doing some work with the metronome and working memory, and someone was suggesting that's part of it. Someone else said age. Probably a bit of everything.

OT is amazing. Enjoy the process! We learned a lot about *all* of us during it. :D

Thank you for the link. I skimmed that post last week, before our OT eval. The post meant a lot more to me tonight, so I am thankful you pointed me in that direction.

Speech software is something I am certainly interested in. DS has a laptop, but it is older and clunky. (Though runs well.) I would like something smaller and more portable, but not sure what product to go with - netbook or electronic tablet.

DS is almost 11.

Current dx is neurological tremor/tic in his dominant hand, sensory processing and vision tracking. Both OTs want us to go for neuro testing, given DS's complicated medical history. DH and I are unsure if we want to pursue it at this time. (DS has hand tremor in resting position, tic when closed to hold pencil.) DS reads and understands well above grade-level, but anything written is a huge struggle.

Often I will write the answers on a white board as we discuss then erase and move forward.
You can also use a whiteboard with you doing the scribing. That way you can keep some of the programs that are working.
I need another whiteboard, obviously. :tongue_smilie:

We have been using our whiteboard for Latin and I like to keep our lessons up/ongoing.

On typing, Dvorak has been a MIRACLE here, highly recommend.
That is one funky keyboard. :001_huh:

DH has agreed to take over typing lessons - and, more importantly, DS has agreed to let his dad teach him typing.

I will revisit Dvorak later, after giving Dad and Qwerty a fair chance.

OT is amazing. Enjoy the process! We learned a lot about *all* of us during it. :D
Thanks. I feel very hopeful right now, but today's session wore DS out and he has been out of sorts ever since.

The only time my son picks up a pencil is for Math. Everything else is computer based.

Math - We use Saxon. But the timed drills are done on http://www.xtramath.org on either the ipad or my computer because they have a number pad. His school work is done on a white board which I have a love/hate relationship. Using the marker makes for messy work which has to be scribed over to the worksheets but makes for easier erasing when a mistake is made. Long division is a nightmare! He has a very hard time keeping all the numbers in line. I'm gonna try a modified white board just for long division with strips of ducktape applied to help him keep his column of numbers straight.

Spelling/Vocabulary - We use http://www.spellingcity.com Many of the major spelling program lists have already been typed into the program so you can just download those lists and use the same words. It's a highlight of his day!

Science - We use Apologia (I have to scribe everything for him but he loves reading the textbooks over, so I continue) We also use Switched on Schoolhouse for Science (yeah, running two science programs here) He loves to do his computer science lessons - doesn't like the tests and quizzes but does well on them.

Typing class - Mavis beacon typing and a towel. Yeah, he started the program but was looking at his hands so much he wasn't progressing. I zero'd his account, tossed a towel over his hands and told him to stop looking at his fingers. His typing error levels have improved but his speed has slowed down, I'm ok with that because it is more important to me that he learns to type correctly and work on speed later on.

Composition class. - This was hours of work for me ahead of time. Now, it's a snap! We use Classical Composition. I scanned in the student workbook and then created Word documents for my son so that he could do the work directly into Word. I allow him to simply cut and paste parts of the fable into his document, to speed up the process. I have my dd9 doing the same Fable lessons on her computer at the same time. I decided that I was more concerned that they learned how to write a good story/composition then I was concerned about how neatly they actually wrote it.

Language Arts - We use Switched on Schoolhouse.

History - We use the Story of the World - I will ask him to colour a picture or do a paper activity. If there is a picture to colour and he does a good job, I'll tell him he can be done Art for the week if he chooses too. Although, if I bring out the clay or paint, he's elbow deep in it still.

Health and Safety - my own creation to focus on safety on our farm. This has a collection of worksheets I found online but they are simple fun activities and he doesn't mind it - once a week.

He has penmanship class, a few times a week, because I want him to continue to learn how to form his letters correctly but his therapist is happy that most of his work is computer based.

Even when we first started and he couldn't type worth beans, he was still faster then using a pencil. So, embrace this new adventure and find out what works for your son!

If someone would create a Saxon totally computer based program, I'd be willing to take out a loan to buy it!

I need another whiteboard, obviously. :tongue_smilie:

We have been using our whiteboard for Latin and I like to keep our lessons up/ongoing.

That is one funky keyboard. :001_huh:

DH has agreed to take over typing lessons - and, more importantly, DS has agreed to let his dad teach him typing.

I will revisit Dvorak later, after giving Dad and Qwerty a fair chance.

Thanks. I feel very hopeful right now, but today's session wore DS out and he has been out of sorts ever since.

My dd always needed a nap after OT. It's a lot of work! Just plan on it.

http://www.amazon.com/x23-Inch-Plastic-Frame-Magnetic-Board/dp/B005NCN8F4/ref=sr_1_53?s=office-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1349150757&sr=1-53&keywords=board+dudes+magnetic+dry+erase+board This is like what I have. Surf around for the best price. It's a Board Dudes magnetic dry erase board. I've used it for over a year and love, love, love it. Like you're saying, you need a bigger size when you teach an older child. Mine measures 16X20 when I measure it, but I couldn't find one that says that online. I bought mine a year ago and things change. Anyways, it's big enough to diagram sentences on, do more complex math, etc. I also really like the Board Dudes markers. http://www.amazon.com/Board-Dudes-Double-Sided-Magnetic-14002UA-24/dp/B0028N6QTG/ref=sr_1_9?s=office-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1349150858&sr=1-9&keywords=board+dudes+magnetic+dry+erase+board Again, not sure that's the best price. I got mine on clearance a year ago. Before that I always used the small Quartet ones from walmart that are low/no odor. These particular Board Dudes markers are low/no odor too, but they're WONDERFUL, like over the top nice. They're thicker, flow better, last longer, and are just plain nicer to write with. This year I'm letting my dd write with them as well, since I think she won't press so hard and ruin them. Before, I made her use the cheapies and I got the nice ones, hehe. :D

Oh, the reason the magnetic boards are better is because it's porcelain on steel instead of the thinner coating over mdf/cardboard. The better coating holds up better and won't ghost so fast. If you've been using smaller or non-magnetic boards, that probably explains the lack of love. Move up. We work at a kitchen-type table and I put the board between us on the table as we discuss. When we're not using it, I put it up on top of the crates that hold her books. (Or you can stand it on the floor beside your table.) So it's big enough to work with at a table but not so big that you have to hang it on the wall, if that makes sense.

Math - We use Saxon. But the timed drills are done on http://www.xtramath.org on either the ipad or my computer because they have a number pad. His school work is done on a white board which I have a love/hate relationship. Using the marker makes for messy work which has to be scribed over to the worksheets but makes for easier erasing when a mistake is made. Long division is a nightmare! He has a very hard time keeping all the numbers in line. I'm gonna try a modified white board just for long division with strips of ducktape applied to help him keep his column of numbers straight.

A small hijack.:D We found this to be helpful for math:

http://www.reallygoodstuff.com/product/multi-digit+computation+dry+erase+board+set.do?sortby=ourPicks&page=6

I don't remember where I purchased them, but I didn't have to buy a set. I would love a larger size though, maybe 12 x 18. Dh just brought home a few larger white boards, and on one of them he used whiteboard tape to make a grid, so I am going to try that one out. I think it may be too big and heavy to be practical though.

Aleks, IXL, Dreambox and Mathletics are all on the computer. Most have free trials (and Mathletics will have their site open starting Oct 8 for practice for the kids doing the American Math challenge-so you can set up an AMC account and give your DC a chance to try it next week, even if they don't want to do the actual challenge). Many are weak in instruction-but you can use them to do the instruction off the computer, than the actual practice ON the computer.