Menu

Like "Living Math", only "Living Language Arts"

scrapbabe

I have been a big fan of living math for years. I'm not great at incorporating it but I try. I was just reading The Writer's Jungle (Bravewriter) and was thinking about making language arts more "living". So what kind of things (books, games, etc.) do you use for language arts (grammar, spelling, writing, poetry, etc.) that are fun supplements?

Here's a list of things I've come up with.

Language Adventure Books http://www.amazon.com/Why-Banana-Split-Adventures-Language/dp/1423620860/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1349065032&sr=1-1&keywords=a+banana+splits

Eight Ate: A Feast of Homonym Riddles http://www.amazon.com/Eight-Ate-Feast-Homonym-Riddles/dp/0618766766/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1349064991&sr=8-1&keywords=eight+ate+a+feast+of+homonym+riddles

Stubborn as a Mule and other Similes http://www.amazon.com/Stubborn-Mule-Other-Silly-Similes/dp/1404867155/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1349064954&sr=1-1&keywords=stubborn+as+a+mule

Cooking Up Sentences http://www.amazon.com/Learning-Resources-LER0344-Cooking-Sentences/dp/B0012OELKS/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1349064904&sr=1-1&keywords=cooking+up+sentences

Rory's Story Cubes http://www.amazon.com/Gamewright-318-Rorys-Story-Cubes/dp/B003EIK136/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1349065074&sr=1-1&keywords=rory%27s+story+cubes

Word Pirates http://www.amazon.com/Haywire-Group-G89623007407-DICEcapades-Pirates/dp/B001ANMQT4/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1349065115&sr=1-1&keywords=word+pirates+board+game

I would love to make a huge list of resources, so please share. Also, if some of these that I've listed above you have used, could you tell what you think of it?

Thanks

My favorite for grammar for the lower grades is Lively Language Lessons using Ruth Heller's World of Language books.

For poetry, we are very inspired by Awakening the Heart this year.

Some other stuff we've loved...

Writer's Toolbox (We have the single volumes but this is a collection of many of them.)

Rip the Page!

Written and Illustrated by...

Author: A True Story really inspired my kids.

The Furry News

Making Books That Fly, Fold, Wrap, Hide, Pop Up, Twist & Turn

For young kids, The Write Start

Families Writing

Pizza, Pigs, and Poetry (good especially for boys)

I'm also still in love with No More "I'm Done!"

Brave Writer is living language, for sure. You don't even need to buy any of her products to incorporate her wonderful ideas into your school. The Brave Writer Lifestyle is nicely explained here. She also has thought provoking blog entries and posts some assignment suggestions there.

ETA: How could I forget Bare Books? They're awesome. :)

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

Hey wait, wasn't this thread just done? ;)

I suggested, then, Word Spy & Return Of The Word Spy. There's also a matching activity book. My boys LOVE these books & we use them as a full grammar programme, but you ABSOLUTELY HAVE to read them with enthusiasm. They just beg to be read that way.

FWIW, in the US they are called Word Snoop.

Games like You've Been Sentenced, Banangrams, Scrabble, Quiddler...

I also think Peggy Kaye's books Games for Reading and Games for Writing are in this category, though they're only for K-2.

Also, some of the Tin Man Press stuff - Letter Getters and Just Write.

What age are the word spy and the activity books for? I can't find a sample for the activity book.

Thanks!

Stephanie

You can't get it in the US. I'm also still not sure if the US version is the same as the Australian version. I've seen this recommended a few times now (always by Australians, of course!) and I wish we could get it here, but I did quite a search at one point and it seems pretty impossible. Book Depository has had it listed as unavailable for ages:

http://www.bookdepository.com/Word-Spy-Activity-Ursula-Dubosarsky/9780143306139

Can you explain what the Sentence Family is? I've heard of it and looked at it, but I'm not sure what it is.

It is a book on the parts of speech. The kids draw pictures of different "characters" (the parts of speech), and I have mine write sentences to go with the story that goes with each character. So, for example, when we did interrogative sentences, dd9 wrote three questions, and ds11 wrote 5.

You can't get it in the US. I'm also still not sure if the US version is the same as the Australian version. I've seen this recommended a few times now (always by Australians, of course!) and I wish we could get it here, but I did quite a search at one point and it seems pretty impossible. Book Depository has had it listed as unavailable for ages:

http://www.bookdepository.com/Word-Spy-Activity-Ursula-Dubosarsky/9780143306139

I did find it through book finder, but it isn't cheap.

Wait.. I think I found it at a reasonable price! HERE

And Amazon has it as The Word Snoop for $15

Edited by momto2Cs

Can you give me a link for Lively Language Lessons?

My favorite for grammar for the lower grades is Lively Language Lessons using Ruth Heller's World of Language books.

This is wonderful with artistic students. :001_smile:

ETA: Changed the LLL link to include all her blog posts on the topic.

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

The Sentence Family is a wonderful combination of grammar, art, and story-telling! We are just loving it at our house. My kids beg for it. We do the drawings in oil pastels, which I have to take outside to spray with a fixate, so we have this joke in our house that we only do grammar on sunny days. :tongue_smilie:

We use it slowly, introducing a character or two a week. We read the story together and then everyone draws their own picture of the character. We then incorporate the Lively Language Lessons by reading the corresponding Ruth Heller and Brain Cleary books and drawing our own examples of the different parts of speech. Then we just talk about the chracters randomly. Like tonight at dinner, any time a person spoke, we had to decide who would have send that sentence (Mr. Declarative, Mrs, Interrogative, Mr. Imperative, or Mrs. Exclamatory). Even my 4 year old knew the different types of sentence from the character sketches!

The Sentence Family is a wonderful combination of grammar, art, and story-telling! We are just loving it at our house. My kids beg for it. We do the drawings in oil pastels, which I have to take outside to spray with a fixate, so we have this joke in our house that we only do grammar on sunny days. :tongue_smilie:

We use it slowly, introducing a character or two a week. We read the story together and then everyone draws their own picture of the character. We then incorporate the Lively Language Lessons by reading the corresponding Ruth Heller and Brain Cleary books and drawing our own examples of the different parts of speech. Then we just talk about the chracters randomly. Like tonight at dinner, any time a person spoke, we had to decide who would have send that sentence (Mr. Declarative, Mrs, Interrogative, Mr. Imperative, or Mrs. Exclamatory). Even my 4 year old knew the different types of sentence from the character sketches!

Thank you for sharing! I love your ideas!!!