Menu

Psychomotor Overexcitabilities

First of all, I'd like to thank all of you on this board for your posts. I've spent too much time reading the archives and lurking - what a wealth of information you are! Thanks!

So now for my question:

My 6 year old has an abundance of energy - he paces and has several other nervous habits. He can only partially control them, especially when he's excited about something.

Wednesday we were outside for 4 hours hiking or playing soccer. He didn't show any of his usual overexcitabilities that evening. This is a definite pattern. Anything less than 4 hours helps but doesn't eliminate them.

So should I just plan on 4 hours a day of heavy physical activity? Is that even possible? I'll certainly get in better shape... :tongue_smilie:

I'd love to hear your suggestions for channeling his energy for good.

When I think DD really needs to move (and she can't focus until she deals with it), I put on some Celtic music and have her practice her jigs. Yeah for step dancing!

We have a friend whose son is the same way, and he takes long martial arts classes at least 3 times per week. DD is planning to join him soon. That friend also has a wiggle seat, and DD wants one too.

We have a friend whose son is the same way, and he takes long martial arts classes at least 3 times per week. DD is planning to join him soon. That friend also has a wiggle seat, and DD wants one too.

oh, that is so cool. and it comes in black. i {heart} that seat.

Button doesn't require it, but I bet it would help.

OP: are you in an apartment? near a park? do you have a yard? long/short driveway? just wondering about active stuff at your house ... you are in a different league of physical-activity-requirements than we are, but Button does well with lots of biking around our driveway, which is med-long and on a slope; his dad recently built him a shallow jump ramp which is going over VERY well.

Yes... just take him to the park, enroll him in karate, or whatever is necessary. Sometimes, I have my kids run laps around the house if they can't focus on school work. :lol: ... actually, I remember my mom making me do the same thing when I was a kid!

oh yes! us too! or "shoot hoops" -- for us, that's toss a ball into a big container from a challenging distance -- or do some tumbles or something like that. Occasionally he gets to just do hops off the couch.

Yes... just take him to the park, enroll him in karate, or whatever is necessary. Sometimes, I have my kids run laps around the house if they can't focus on school work. :lol: ... actually, I remember my mom making me do the same thing when I was a kid!

:iagree: I send my kids to run laps around the backyard (which is very large, since we're on a farm). My middle son LOVES running laps! He's the one that really needs exercise too.

If you ever get a chance to hear the Logic of English lady, she talks about her DD who required hours and hours of gymnastics training to focus on schoolwork. Once she realized her DD really did need THAT much daily exercise, she was able to adjust school expectations and teaching style to fit that need.

Thanks for the responses, everyone! :) I don't have much time now, so will write more later.

OP: are you in an apartment? near a park? do you have a yard? long/short driveway? just wondering about active stuff at your house ...

We are in a subdivision - small yard and short driveway, but we do live on a cul-de-sac, so my boys love to ride bikes up and down the street. There is a hill in the backyard that is fun for them to run down. I have various balls, a baseball bat, and a soccer goal, but maybe I need to get more...

Have a great day!

So should I just plan on 4 hours a day of heavy physical activity? Is that even possible? I'll certainly get in better shape... :tongue_smilie:

I've been wondering about this myself. My son is not quite 6 but we do 15 mile bike rides (he rides his own bike, never had training wheels) once or twice a week and afterwards he's like a completely different kid. Other people have noticed so its not just my imagination. He moves and talks completely differently after our long rides. The effect usually lasts into the next day, or maybe its just compounded by the fact that the other days we have swim lessons and nature hikes with friends.

I would love to do a ride of that length every day (I was an avid cyclist pre-kid), but I think he'd get bored by it eventually so... I have to limit it somewhat since its my ace in the hole and I don't want to wear it out. I think bike riding has worked better than anything because it requires so much at once - balance, stamina, mental concentration, etc.

It's also solo. I've found that sometimes group physical activities lead to worse problems. My son is very friendly and outgoing but I think secretly he's an introvert who finds being around others really draining (even though he likes it).

Anyway, I'll be following suggestions closely.

Sometimes, I have my kids run laps around the house if they can't focus on school work. :lol: ... actually, I remember my mom making me do the same thing when I was a kid!

:) My mom had my brother do that, too. It does help when I send my son out!

:iagree: I send my kids to run laps around the backyard (which is very large, since we're on a farm). My middle son LOVES running laps! He's the one that really needs exercise too.

If you ever get a chance to hear the Logic of English lady, she talks about her DD who required hours and hours of gymnastics training to focus on schoolwork. Once she realized her DD really did need THAT much daily exercise, she was able to adjust school expectations and teaching style to fit that need.

I have a friend who has a large yard, and I found myself envious when I visited - so much room to run would be so nice. :)

I've watched one of the Logic of English videos, but I'll have to look for more. I can see how it could help, but it seems overwhelming to build in so much time when I'm having trouble putting together our schedule anyway. Maybe, though, the rest of the day would go more smoothly if I did....food for thought.

I just put 2 of those seats in my cart (must have one for little brother, too). :)

I've thought about martial arts, but I have no personal experience with it and wondered how much exertion is required. Do you have any idea?

Do you have fidget toys?

I got a squeeze toy that was not used, but maybe I need to revisit other options. Any that stand out for you, or does it depend on the child?

http://www.jumpingballs.com/

Both girls deal with this OE (in addition to a couple of other ones ~sigh~). These jumping balls are great!!

DS1 has others, too (and little brother has his own). :grouphug: Sounds like we need to add jumping balls to the list. :)

Thanks, everyone! :)

I've been wondering about this myself. My son is not quite 6 but we do 15 mile bike rides (he rides his own bike, never had training wheels) once or twice a week and afterwards he's like a completely different kid. Other people have noticed so its not just my imagination. He moves and talks completely differently after our long rides. The effect usually lasts into the next day, or maybe its just compounded by the fact that the other days we have swim lessons and nature hikes with friends.

I would love to do a ride of that length every day (I was an avid cyclist pre-kid), but I think he'd get bored by it eventually so... I have to limit it somewhat since its my ace in the hole and I don't want to wear it out. I think bike riding has worked better than anything because it requires so much at once - balance, stamina, mental concentration, etc.

It's also solo. I've found that sometimes group physical activities lead to worse problems. My son is very friendly and outgoing but I think secretly he's an introvert who finds being around others really draining (even though he likes it).

Anyway, I'll be following suggestions closely.

It's wonderful that others have confirmed your thoughts about the bike rides. Can you vary the location/trail to keep it interesting for him? Or maybe try rides every other day and see - maybe he'll feel so good that he won't mind that it is a routine. How did you keep it interesting when you rode regularly?

I feel like biking doesn't tire my son out as quickly, but we are not doing 15 mile rides, either. DS2 has a balance bike, and so long rides will have to wait until he can keep up.

My husband is like your son - he is friendly and outgoing when he is with people, but when he gets home he is exhausted. I'm the exact opposite - reserved in a group, but energized by the contact with people. I think my son is an introvert, but he really seems to enjoy soccer, so maybe he's a closet extrovert like me.

I've thought about martial arts, but I have no personal experience with it and wondered how much exertion is required. Do you have any idea?
Depends on the style of martial arts you choose. Not just the big division, like Judo vs. Karate vs. Jiujitsu, but even within each and from studio to studio.

DH and I did a form of Kenpo Karate, and our kids did a form of Kempo Karate (yes, one has an 'm' and the other an 'n'), and both had the potential for a pretty good work out that you could do with a punch bag and without a partner. Other styles involve more grappling, and you'd need a partner for a good work out.

Depends on the style of martial arts you choose. Not just the big division, like Judo vs. Karate vs. Jiujitsu, but even within each and from studio to studio.

DH and I did a form of Kenpo Karate, and our kids did a form of Kempo Karate (yes, one has an 'm' and the other an 'n'), and both had the potential for a pretty good work out that you could do with a punch bag and without a partner. Other styles involve more grappling, and you'd need a partner for a good work out.

Sounds like I need to visit nearby locations and observe. Thanks for the information!

I feel like biking doesn't tire my son out as quickly, but we are not doing 15 mile rides, either. DS2 has a balance bike, and so long rides will have to wait until he can keep up.

The 15 miles approximately meets the 4 hour threshold you mentioned if I include the play time at a park about half way through. That's why I was so interested - other people mention things like 30 minutes of swimming, etc. and that just doesn't cut it for us. I'm still not sure if its an OE thing, or a boy thing , or just an individual thing, but I do think that we, as a society, vastly underestimate the amount of physical activity and outdoor time that some kids need.

The 15 miles approximately meets the 4 hour threshold you mentioned if I include the play time at a park about half way through.

So interesting that the 15 mile ride meets the 4 hour threshold! I'm definitely going to try it some day when DS2 is otherwise occupied.

I'm still not sure if its an OE thing, or a boy thing , or just an individual thing, but I do think that we, as a society, vastly underestimate the amount of physical activity and outdoor time that some kids need.

:iagree: that some kids need more. I lean toward OE or individual trait because younger DS does not have the same tendencies (at least not yet). But who knows?