Menu

OMGosh, Math GRRRRRRRRRRRRR

MrsMe

Last year we used CLE. Not bad, but the jumping around. YIKES! Also, there were so many errors in the TM I got a direct line to the error "person" at CLE. I also hear they're having problems with the level 6 TM as well. sigh. It's a little annoying to say the least when you find you mark your kids' equations wrong when they're right. But really the jumping of concepts was a little daunting.

This year I opted for Rod & Staff. I knew the mastery would be a bit better with a bit of review at the end, without overkill mastery. But the lack of worksheets is completely annoying. DD does some in the book, some not due to space. It's a pain because there's 1 a), b) blah, blah... But the TM is useless IMO. Some reviews have no answers for this unmathy mom, plus the answers in a division problem for example only has the bottom line answer. So I have to do the entire equation to see which line dd got wrong. I Don't Want To! Not only that, that will be a huge problem as we move up in level. And on my not so good brain days, like today:tongue_smilie:....I'm at my wits end with the lack of teacher helps. At least if I had some line by line answers and I didn't get the problem I can figure it out. With just a bottom line answer....ugh! At least in CLE I could read the directions & or answers, AND dd could read the directions, and we could figure it out.

BJU is way too busy for dd and me, too expensive and just too much of everything. I despise "wierd" math terms used by certain programs. And I don't like MM or MUS.

What out there is good, basic, solid math that has a good TM and workbook? Level 5 or 6 depending upon it's difficulty for a mom that stinks at math. And don't go Asian on me. :scared:

Edited by alilac

for a mom that stinks at math.

Unfortunately, math is a topic that is usually taught by a teacher, not by a curriculum. Can you outsource math? If you aren't confident in teaching it and don't feel capable of learning the material well ahead of your child, it's time to find someone else to teach that subject.

Perhaps you can find a local homeschool mom to trade subjects with? There is probably a mathy mom that would love to have you teach her child <insert hefty LA subject here> in exchange for her teaching your child math. :D

It's been my experience that Abeka is straight-forward and only assumes that Mom or Dad can read. Make sure you get the homeschool version of the lesson plans if you buy used. The text and teacher's edition are the same but the lesson plan books have two versions.

Abeka is advanced so you may want 5th grade. Buy the student books new and the teacher's used and you'll save a ton!

Maybe Teaching Textbooks?

:iagree:I have heard that TT walks the student through the problems that they miss, so that would be my preference in this situation.

I am using R&S with my oldest, and I have noticed that they stopped giving answers to some review questions during the teaching time. It definitely keeps me on my toes!

I haven't checked MCP....yet. But... as far as Teaching Textbooks. Does the CD teach it, then she does the work in the workbook? I wouldn't be interested if she had to answer it all online. First, we have lousy internet and can't stream much less load things when we want. So can she watch the DVD then do the workbook?

I haven't checked MCP....yet. But... as far as Teaching Textbooks. Does the CD teach it, then she does the work in the workbook? I wouldn't be interested if she had to answer it all online. First, we have lousy internet and can't stream much less load things when we want. So can she watch the DVD then do the workbook?

TT isn't online, it's all on the CD. She can either answer on the computer (again, using the software not the internet) or she can write her answers in the workbook.

So MCP would have us in one year before we change again. McRuffy is too young. The jury is out on teaching textbooks. DD does good reading directions on her own as well as a verbal instruction. Plus I wonder if you need to look up terms whether that's available with Teaching Textbooks. Ace's samples have a lot of multiple guess. Ugh...Havent' seen Abeka yet.

So MCP would have us in one year before we change again. McRuffy is too young. The jury is out on teaching textbooks. DD does good reading directions on her own as well as a verbal instruction. Plus I wonder if you need to look up terms whether that's available with Teaching Textbooks. Ace's samples have a lot of multiple guess. Systematic links show another only with answers and not how you got them. Not good as you get up in math years. Ugh...Havent' seen Abeka yet.

Ugh...Havent' seen Abeka yet.

Just this week someone recommended that I look at it. I was told grades 4-6 cover the content in Ray's Practical Arithmetic, but is obviously updated. I couldn't really find any decent samples to look at. But my curiosity has been awakened now.

Just this week someone recommended that I look at it. I was told grades 4-6 cover the content in Ray's Practical Arithmetic, but is obviously updated. I couldn't really find any decent samples to look at. But my curiosity has been awakened now.

I looked but I couldn't find decent samples either. Even though I can make the sample bigger on the site it doesn't work right. The work looks okay from what I can barely see :tongue_smilie:, but found no sample of the TM nor a placement test.

Check the Abeka website. It is sound and solid but quick moving and has lots of review built in. If Rainbow carried it, I'd be ordering that.

As for TT, we were blessed with a copy two years ago. My son wasn't retaining anything. When I asked the reps at our local expo what they would suggest, they said, "Just buy calculadders. Have him work in that."

I walked away disgusted but glad we hadn't paid for it! For that much moolah, it better do the job without an additional purchase. Kwim?

Check the Abeka website. It is sound and solid but quick moving and has lots of review built in. If Rainbow carried it, I'd be ordering that.

As for TT, we were blessed with a copy two years ago. My son wasn't retaining anything. When I asked the reps at our local expo what they would suggest, they said, "Just buy calculadders. Have him work in that."

I walked away disgusted but glad we hadn't paid for it! For that much moolah, it better do the job without an additional purchase. Kwim?

Yeah, not to knock TT, but the cost is quite prohibitive. Abeka's site didn't have a TM sample for the level I looked at. I'll go back. Maybe I missed it!

Last year we used CLE. Not bad, but the jumping around. ... But really the jumping of concepts was a little daunting.

Some reviews have no answers for this unmathy mom, plus the answers in a division problem for example only has the bottom line answer.

What out there is good, basic, solid math that has a good TM and workbook? Level 5 or 6 depending upon it's difficulty for a mom that stinks at math. And don't go Asian on me. :scared:

*Sent you a PM.*

Abeka has a TM with the full answers calculated out. The Lesson Plans have the "teaching helps." But Abeka will jump around on concepts in a similar way to CLE. That's part of its "spiral" method. Just so you know.

There is no placement test. (I don't think you'd have a problem going with "grade level" wherever you are currently at.)