Menu

Does anyone have a structured day with slow mornings?

I am just curious as to what this looks like at your house. One of my DDs and I do better with structure but we all seem to need some slow starting....like a relaxed tea (not the strange WTM board version of tea that I still can't figure out the origins of) time, breakfast, reading, praying, listening to a story. Then comes a point where we all seem better able to kick it into gear and start our school day.

How does this work for others? Do you have a set time? Or a flexible but slow routine? I'm just curious what works for others as I seek to bring more order to our lives.

I am just curious as to what this looks like at your house. One of my DDs and I do better with structure but we all seem to need some slow starting....like a relaxed tea (not the strange WTM board version of tea that I still can't figure out the origins of) time, breakfast, reading, praying, listening to a story. Then comes a point where we all seem better able to kick it into gear and start our school day.

How does this work for others? Do you have a set time? Or a flexible but slow routine? I'm just curious what works for others as I seek to bring more order to our lives.

Hmm. We are kind of like this. My girls wake up around 7 or 7:30 and I let them read until I am up and alert. Then they shower and get ready for the day while I drink coffee and check my email. We all sit down to breakfast together and I read an article from Youngzine or a chapter from our latest book aloud to them while we eat. Then we clean up breakfast and start school. When we do our Latin or history reading, usually first thing, we cozy up in my bed or on the couch.

Ironically, it's the getting to work right away that makes our mornings more peaceful. I don't feel rushed and we are all calm. It works for us.

We wake up between 7 and 8, have an hour of t.v./reading/drinking tea or otherwise slowly waking up. I have my shower during this time too but the kids have theirs at night. Then at 8:55 it is time to throw on clothes and make beds. We have breakfast between 9:00 - 9:30 with our poem for the week read at breakfast. Then we have a focused chore time from 9:30 - 10:00. School starts then at 10 am.

We do. None of us are morning people, (my 8yo has asked to do "midnight school" more than once), so we need slow mornings or we are all grumpy. I get up at 8, so I can have some quiet coffee time and plan my day. I get the kids up at 9, and we start school at 10. Of course since I am teaching 3 kids, grades 1,3, & 7 with a preschooler along for the ride, this means that we don't finish till 5 in the evening. It's a trade-off, but it works for us.

We get up at 7 then lazy around till 8. The kids get their breakfast at 8 and watch a cartoon. At 8:30 I get in the shower and the kids do their list (get dressed, make beds, brush teeth, feed dog). We start school at 9 and go till 12:30 or 1. I read our read-aloud along with something else (science, picture study, Spanish flash cards, poetry, or composer study) at lunch. Sometime we have things to finish after lunch, but we try to get it all done before.

I get going very slowly. Coffee, reading, walking the dog. All done very leisurely. I don't start working until noon but when I still homeschooled, we started around 9a.m. Writing down times for specific activities - even resting works for me. For example: 7 - 7:20a.m. Wake up, drink coffee. 7:20 - 7:40 Dog's first walk. 7:45 - 8:15 read, go through mail, etc...

I am a morning person, but my kids get up between 6 and 7 (or later in the winter) and we do not start school until 9 a.m. I like my lazy mornings - they set the tone for the whole day. I get more done early, and then I'm not so stressed the rest of the day. Works great for us. I see no reason to roll out of bed and start school right away.

I get up with dh and have coffee at 6:00a.m. He leaves at 6:30.

I drink coffee and have quiet time until it's time for dd16 to go to school at 7:30. I take care of the farm animals after I take her to school. After the morning farm chores are done I take a shower and get ready for my day.

At 9:00 I wake dd13, ds10 and dd8. About 50% of the time dd8 is up already. We have breakfast and read aloud or listen to a book on cd until about 9:45.

My goal is to start our school day with our Bible study by 10:00am.

This is how our mornings have been so far this year.

I get up any time b/t 7-8. I have my thyroid meds and read while I wait until I'm able to eat. Kids get up and read or sometimes work on school work and have breakfast. Then they do their household chores, piano, independent reading while I walk the dog and get a shower. Sometimes I have a chore or two to do before my shower. Dd works on dog training while I'm in the shower. Ds is usually reading either for history or science, or studying LAtin. By then it's usually around 10am and we might do some together subjects like read alouds or writing depending on what I have planned. After that we split up for subjects. I work with Dd first and then Ds while she Dd is doing math homework.

Because of a couple of daytime activities, our schoolwork can sometimes stretch into evening, which I am perfectly fine with.

We have a routine but no set time. Kids wake up whatever time they feel well rested, can be anything from 7am to 11am. They don't wake up at the same time usually. They have breakfast, than seatwork than reading. After reading time, we have lunch followed by art or science or playtime.

They get restless after lunch which is why we get seatwork done in the morning.

I am a morning person, but my kids get up between 6 and 7 (or later in the winter) and we do not start school until 9 a.m. I like my lazy mornings - they set the tone for the whole day. I get more done early, and then I'm not so stressed the rest of the day. Works great for us. I see no reason to roll out of bed and start school right away.

I've found that on the days when I let the kids play for a while before starting school, they do better. So they're up around 7am, play, get dressed, eat, and then play some more until around 8:30-9:00 when I declare it school time.

But that only happens twice a week because the rest of the week we have commitments that make it so we have to get going on our school work by 8:00am.

I get up at 5:30 so I have time to get coffee and relax before getting the older boys off to school. Then I hit the treadmill for 1/2 hour, shower, and feed the others. About 9 we start slowly into it by doing Phonics Road with one of the girls while the other entertains the 3 yr old. Then I begin a rotation between the 3 hs'd kids.

I can't believe the timing! Just today, this very, very, day, we discussed trying out something like this.

Long ago, oh, late elementary, we began each day with read aloud in bed with prayer. Then we moved to the couch and did some snuggly subjects, and finally got around to the other stuff.

Then we sort of transitioned into getting up early and hitting the floor running. That worked for several years.

Now, we've been sluggish in the mornings again. We have to be up by 6.15 no matter what anyway for mass/adoration but after that, it's hard to get moving. We tend to want to settle in and lounge over breakfast with good books and not get started for a good long time.

So, Since we're out already we thougth we might do some kind of fitness to kick start our day. We did think about running but we wear skirts to church and would have to come home to change. That is an option, I guess. We also talked about going to a pilates mat class at the Y on T/R. We also talked about swimming laps -- I love lap swimming but my daughter isn't sure. She's on break from swim team and isn't sure she wants to go back or lap swim for fun.

Anyway, my point is that, all of a sudden, we're just not ready for academics first thing any more. My daughter would prefer to start later and go later, even right up to bed time, rather than do school first thing.

Today is really the first time we discussed this later alternative, tho. I don't really know what we're going to do.

I can't believe the timing! Just today, this very, very, day, we discussed trying out something like this.

Long ago, oh, late elementary, we began each day with read aloud in bed with prayer. Then we moved to the couch and did some snuggly subjects, and finally got around to the other stuff.

Then we sort of transitioned into getting up early and hitting the floor running. That worked for several years.

Now, we've been sluggish in the mornings again. We have to be up by 6.15 no matter what anyway for mass/adoration but after that, it's hard to get moving. We tend to want to settle in and lounge over breakfast with good books and not get started for a good long time.

So, Since we're out already we thougth we might do some kind of fitness to kick start our day. We did think about running but we wear skirts to church and would have to come home to change. That is an option, I guess. We also talked about going to a pilates mat class at the Y on T/R. We also talked about swimming laps -- I love lap swimming but my daughter isn't sure. She's on break from swim team and isn't sure she wants to go back or lap swim for fun.

Anyway, my point is that, all of a sudden, we're just not ready for academics first thing any more. My daughter would prefer to start later and go later, even right up to bed time, rather than do school first thing.

Today is really the first time we discussed this later alternative, tho. I don't really know what we're going to do.

I say go for it! Give it a try and see if it works for you. It's very freeing to follow your own schedule. I've posted about this so many times I feel like a broken record...... this year we've scheduled as many activities as possible during the day b/c we'd all rather be home in the evenings, even if it means working a little later on school work. The earlier the activity is, the better. The most enjoyable day we have is Thurs when they have dog training classes at 10 and arrive home around 11:30 or 12 and then spend the rest of the day on school. It's weird, but we all feel more relaxed than we did when we had to finish up and be out of the house for the night.

We get up at 8- well the older kids do. Sometimes I get up at 8:30:D. They have an hour to get dressed, eat breakfast, brush teeth, and walk the dog. All that really only takes about 30 min, but my 2 need more time to get going. We have Bible at 9 together with a Scripture reading, memory verse, and prayer. Then we start our work.

Some days I feel like 9 is early. Then I remember my sister's kids are at school at 7:40. Suddenly 9 seems decadent!