Menu

Is anyone else surprised about the big "what do you use for math" thread?

HollyinNNV

Well, we use CLE math after the first 3 years of math. We switch over at around grade 4. I start my dc math off with a manip. based program (ie: rightstart).

CLE is awesome and my dd8.5 is thriving. However, I wouldn't have started her in CLE (k-3) becuase of too many pages, and too much writing. THats why I like RS because it is so hands on and they get a great understanding of math so they can transition (if you want) into a more traditional format (ie: more writing and algorithms).

The thread was about k-4 grade math, right?

Well, we use CLE math after the first 3 years of math. We switch over at around grade 4. I start their math off with a manip. based program (ie: rightstart).

CLE is awesome and my dd8.5 is thriving. However, I would havent started her in CLE (k-3) becuase of too many pages, and too much writing. THats why I like RS because it is so hands on and they get a great understanding of math so they can transition (if you want) into a more traditional format (ie: more writing and algorithms).

The thread was about k-4 grade math, right?

I am glad that you mentioned this. I had not heard about switching to CLE at 4th grade. I have a struggling third grader.

Holly

just b/c something gets a lot of talk doesn't mean there are that many using it (yet!) I don't even know what CLE stands for -- probably b/c I've been so happy with my Singapore/Miquon elementary math program that I don't even bother to open threads on other primary math curricula! I just wouldn't fix what ain't broke so I don't read those posts! I look at posts that are about programs I know in order to help others and I look at posts about *any* program on a topic/level that I am either considering for anytime in the future or are in search of a better solution for now.

So, since I don't know the acronym, I'd guess that CLE is pretty new (atleast to the WTM circle) and so, many families don't use it b/c they already had something they are happy with, even if this new CLE would have been a good fit had they known about it when making their choices. . .

I have one child doing Rod and Staff Math 5 and one doing CLE 500 series. Here's what I think:

I actually like Rod and Staff better because of the slow, incremental steps in learning, the constant practice and review, the mental math, and the absolute assurance of understanding. It is a great program and when the child finishes, he will KNOW math and be able to perform on the spot.

CLE math covers the basics, minimally practices them, and includes many advanced topics which certainly aren't necessary in fifth grade. For example, CLE begins negative numbers, geometry concepts (like line segment, ray, area of a circle, perimeter of circle). I would rather her practice really knowing the basics and mental math than these.

I will say that my CLE child is naturally better in math, and I would put a struggling child in Rod and Staff and not CLE. However, my struggling math child has become quicker in mental, on the spot math than my gifted student because of Rod and Staff!

That being said, I'm sure both of my children will do fine in life with these programs. Both will pick later what the other knows. Since I have two fifth graders, two different math programs eliminates competition.

Blessings,

Penny

CLE math covers the basics, minimally practices them...

Blessings,

Penny

CLE math 5 does cover the basics very well with each lesson including a drill of basic math facts to be done at the end of the book (check box at the top of each lesson) as well as continuous review as part of each lesson. It just doesn't have as many of each type of review problems as R&S math.

My oldest dc used R&S math 3-6,8 and my younger dc used R&S math 1-4 before we switched him to CLE math 5 this past year.

I feel that R&S math spends TOO much time on the basics in grades 5-8 and not enough time preparing for higher math. CLE math grades 5-7 reviews basic math but spends time slowly introducing higher math which R&S math doesn't do until the last chapters of math 6, 7,& 8 which doesn't give enough time to review and practice before the math program is over for the year.

Yes, for a dc weak in math R&S may be the better choice. R&S math 1-4 was enough for us to cement the 4 math operations and move on to CLE math.

Each program has it's strengths and weakness; finding the best math program for our family can be a challenge!

Anyone want to buy my R&S math 6 & 7 TM's and tests?

For those of you who use Rod and Staff, thanks for the info. I wasn't considering it for ds. I'm looking for something that is comprehensive and traditional in scope and sequence. From what I've read, R & S does not have the typical sequence, especially in the early years. So, I just wasn't looking at it for ds.

We've used BJU for K-2. I've been pretty happy with it except that ds is not really ready to move on to grade 3. So, instead of repeating a BJU year, I need to find another program for him.

Holly

Holly, I didn't realize you're using BJU math right now. You said he's not ready to move on to the gr 3 book. Have you been doing all the supplemental workbooks and things BJU sells, or JUST the student worktext? Honestly, if kids do just the student worktext, a lot of them are NOT going to be getting enough work, which might be why you're sensing he's not ready to move on. BJU sells 4 supplemental workbooks (Reviews, Spring, Stretch, and Spread). New for this year they are reformatting things with the new editions and will have those extra workbook pages included on an enhanced cd included in the tm. I think somebody said the 2nd gr tm update is out, not sure if the 3rd will be for this year or next. In any case, I'd suggest you get those extra workbooks, the ones for 2nd gr, and work through them with your ds to get prepped for the 3rd gr book. You don't need Spread Your Wings, which is a remedial book. Reviews is spiral review plus fact drill. Spring Into Action is more practice on the topic of the main lesson. My teacher friend in a cs assigns this as homework, meaning her students do the student worktext PLUS Spring PLUS a daily drill sheet PLUS the review contained in the lesson. Reviews replaces that daily drill and lesson review. So to get as much math as BJU intends, as much as he'd be doing in a school, you have to do the Reviews plus Spring plus the student worktext. If you haven't been and he's not getting enough practice or not having it solidify or become fast, that's why. Can't tell I speak from experience, can you? Can't tell that's our plan for the summer, to go back and do all the workbook pages, every single one that I skipped thinking she was proficient enough on conceptually and didn't need... :)

PS. Stretch Your Mind is really good too. It's challenging application problems, problem-solving situations, and while good can wear them out on top of all the other things. I'd focus on getting the Reviews and Spring pages done. I'll bet if you do those for the 2nd grade book, he'll be proficient and ready to move on to the 3rd grade book.

Ok I'm sorry here is another math question. Just when I think I have made my mind up I read ANOTHER thread about math. ACK! I should just turn off my computer and order something. I mean it's only 1st grade for crying out loud. LOL!

That being said, I am still stressing about doing this right because I did saxon with my 11 yr old dd k-4 and she HATED the program which has now resulted in her NOT knowing her math facts very well and struggles terribly now. Even though we drilled and drilled. She just hated doing math every day so now we have a block. I should have ditched saxon long ago. I just hate jumping around with curriculums.

So now I have a 6 yr old ds who did a year of saxon 1st grade last year with yet more tears about hating math because it just drags on the daily lessons and the meeting ect.... I am repeating 1st grade math with him and was going to go with CLE 1st grade due to the good reviews on here but now I am thinking R&S. I just want something to lay a good foundation for him. I am thinking I may switch to something else by 5th grade like TT or who knows what will be out by then. But right now I need a good foundation in math for 1-3 or 4th grade. At least 1-3.

Thanks, Julie

Holly, I didn't realize you're using BJU math right now. You said he's not ready to move on to the gr 3 book. Have you been doing all the supplemental workbooks and things BJU sells, or JUST the student worktext? BJU sells 4 supplemental workbooks (Reviews, Spring, Stretch, and Spread). New for this year they are reformatting things with the new editions and will have those extra workbook pages included on an enhanced cd included in the tm. I think somebody said the 2nd gr tm update is out, not sure if the 3rd will be for this year or next. In any case, I'd suggest you get those extra workbooks, the ones for 2nd gr, and work through them with your ds to get prepped for the 3rd gr book. You don't need Spread Your Wings, which is a remedial book. Reviews is spiral review plus fact drill. Spring Into Action is more practice on the topic of the main lesson. My teacher friend in a cs assigns this as homework, meaning her students do the student worktext PLUS Spring PLUS a daily drill sheet PLUS the review contained in the lesson. Reviews replaces that daily drill and lesson review. So to get as much math as BJU intends, as much as he'd be doing in a school, you have to do the Reviews plus Spring plus the student worktext. If you haven't been and he's not getting enough practice or not having it solidify or become fast, that's why. Can't tell I speak from experience, can you? Can't tell that's our plan for the summer, to go back and do all the workbook pages, every single one that I skipped thinking she was proficient enough on conceptually and didn't need... :)

PS. Stretch Your Mind is really good too. It's challenging application problems, problem-solving situations, and while good can wear them out on top of all the other things. I'd focus on getting the Reviews and Spring pages done. I'll bet if you do those for the 2nd grade book, he'll be proficient and ready to move on to the 3rd grade book.

We did the entire 2nd grade book and the entire review book. He absolutely could not do the Stretch You Mind book. Personally, I nicknamed the book, Stretch My Patience book.

DH and I pretty much determined that we will not stay with BJU. DS tested in the low 10% in math on the CAT last year. He is only up to around 20% this year in computation and teens for concepts. He worked hard all year long. We generally did around an hour of math a day. Some of this was teacher-kid interaction. Some of this was him on his own. It was sometimes cut into chunks, depending upon him.

I do not think that these results were for lack of effort on his and my part. I also do not think it was because we did not utilize the BJU program, although if I were you, that would have been my first question.

Since receiving the test results, I've been in "throw up my hands in despair" mode. :confused:

Aaargh.

Holly

Holly-

If you go with CLE what level are you planning on using? Just curious. My dd is also in third and I am planning on starting in 204. I haven't gotten my books yet so that might change once I see the books. I have ordered 204-206 just to get a better feel of the program.

Jan

Holly-

If you go with CLE what level are you planning on using? Just curious. My dd is also in third and I am planning on starting in 204. I haven't gotten my books yet so that might change once I see the books. I have ordered 204-206 just to get a better feel of the program.

Jan

Hi Jan,

I was thinking 104. Looking at the sequence, that is where I start to question ds's abilities. Maybe we could do two lessons a day till it gets hard?

Holly

Ok I'm sorry here is another math question. Just when I think I have made my mind up I read ANOTHER thread about math. ACK! I should just turn off my computer and order something. I mean it's only 1st grade for crying out loud. LOL!

That being said, I am still stressing about doing this right because I did saxon with my 11 yr old dd k-4 and she HATED the program which has now resulted in her NOT knowing her math facts very well and struggles terribly now. Even though we drilled and drilled. She just hated doing math every day so now we have a block. I should have ditched saxon long ago. I just hate jumping around with curriculums.

So now I have a 6 yr old ds who did a year of saxon 1st grade last year with yet more tears about hating math because it just drags on the daily lessons and the meeting ect.... I am repeating 1st grade math with him and was going to go with CLE 1st grade due to the good reviews on here but now I am thinking R&S. I just want something to lay a good foundation for him. I am thinking I may switch to something else by 5th grade like TT or who knows what will be out by then. But right now I need a good foundation in math for 1-3 or 4th grade. At least 1-3.

Thanks, Julie

Horizons a good, all around curriculum. It lays a solid foundation, plenty of review (maybe too much in which case just eliminate). It's colorful which my girls like. I use my MUS rods along with Horizons. I don't think it would leave any gaps and would lay a good foundation for higher level math.

However.... I was all set to start my youngest with Horizons when I started hearing all the rave reviews about CLE, and now I'm back at square one! Maybe I'll shut off the computer with you.

Janet

Holly-

Jan

OH-and I had him take the Singapore Math placement test. He couldn't even pass the 1A test.:blink:

Holly

OH-and I had him take the Singapore Math placement test. He couldn't even pass the 1A test.:blink:

Holly

Singapore does things very differently than many other programs. I love Singapore and wish that my dd did as well. My dd just wants to know the basics. She doesn't want to think about math the way that Singapore encourages. She doesn't want to be told how to think about math. She likes making discoveries on her own in her own time not as part of a curriculum. I am hoping that CLE will be a good choice for her. Then I will add back in a little Singapore starting with the CWP books.

Jan