Menu

Is it safe to sleep

with an ace bandage on? Why do I have it in my head that you're not supposed to?

My wrist hurts and is a bit swollen. I don't remember injuring it, but it felt tender yesterday, and got worse tonight, so I wrapped it. I'm just afraid of making it worse in my sleep, especially since I tend to rest my head on my hands and roll around a bunch.

with an ace bandage on? Why do I have it in my head that you're not supposed to?

My wrist hurts and is a bit swollen. I don't remember injuring it, but it felt tender yesterday, and got worse tonight, so I wrapped it. I'm just afraid of making it worse in my sleep, especially since I tend to rest my head on my hands and roll around a bunch.

I'm not sure what a ace brace is.

But I do sometimes sleep with a wrist brace on my wrist.

My wrists are in bad condition and if I'm not careful I hurt them easily. (Broke and sprained one wrist, twisted the other).

It's safe. If your wrist continues to be tender, you might consider getting one of those more rigid wrist splints (the velcro type) that they sell at pharmacies to sleep in. You could have a little carpal tunnel inflammation, and if you sleep on your hands, this makes it worse. Obviously if it doesn't improve you should see a doctor!

You know I was thinking the same thing tonight as I unwrapped my foot. I was always told to remove it for sleeping growing up so it is in my head that's what you must do. But man does it suck to move in your sleep and have the pain wake you up. I am glad to hear it is fine to sleep with one on. That means I can rewrap my foot for tonight.

If your injury is new and still swelling, or you have just applied the bandage, then don't sleep with it on.

If the injury has stabilized and is just sore but no longer swelling or if you have had the bandage on for several hours and it has not become uncomfortable or needed readjusting, then sleeping should be fine.

One other consideration, especially for dc, is making sure the bandage does not come unwrapped during the night and become a choking hazard. We use the cut-off top of an old tube sock to cover the bandage during sleeping. It may slide up and down a bit, but cannot come off easily if the person is an active sleeper. We also like Vet Wrap or other brands of that spongy rubberized bandage to hold the Ace type bandage on and in place.

Edited by hillfarm