Menu

Help, my dc can't skip count in Classical Conversations!

mathnmusic

My dd6 is learning how to add and subtract numbers 1-100, and she's doing ok at this. However, as we do CC, we're getting to the higher skip counting by 3,4,5 and 6, and for the life of me, I don't know how to teach it to her besides just memorizing the numbers to the cute song on the CD. How do you teach a kid how to skip count? With skip counting 3's, I just told her to count quickly and say under her breath all the numbers but say out loud every 3rd number (lame, I know!), but this won't work so well for the higher numbers. Any ideas???

We listen to the schoolhouse rock songs and just practice. It's on our morning board, so we just review one number each morning. This week is week 4 of school, so we will be doing 5's. I have a laminated sheet for each number on the board and we count them outloud during recitation time (along with our Latin vocab, Scripture, address, phone #, monthly hymn and monthly virtue.)

Considering that she is 6, I wouldn't stress about it. They do the skip counting in math every year. My youngest couldn't get past 5's when he was 6. My 9yo had no troubles with it last year. This year, my 7yo is doing much better.

You could try using a 100's chart and coloring in the numbers so she can see the patterns. There are sheets on CC connected that are fill in the blank for practice. But we pretty much just sing the songs over and over.

I print a hundreds chart for each child every day. It has about 1/2 the numbers, so they have to write in the rest of the numbers. Then they mark the pattern (cross out 1, cross out 2, circle 3, cross out 4, cross out 5, circle 6) all the way to 100. Then they read the circled numbers to me (3, 6, 9, 12, etc.).

We made a hundred number chart with spreadsheet and I printed it out for skip-counting. We would color every number in the particular skip count we were doing and then I would have them skip count as if they were multiplying. 1 four is four, 2 fours are eight, 3 fours are twelve and so forth.

To reinforce I would have them number each colored square to show which 4 it was. Rather than have straight memorization I like to have the charts for the child to point as they count for a while.

It also can be useful to have them do the skip counting with a number line in the same way. Use colored pencils to mark the advances and do it as a long addition.

Either way I would absolutely keep the charts available for her to use for practice for a long time.

I also wouldn't stress at age six. At six my guys were comfortable with even numbers 1-20, odds 1-20, by 5's to 50 and by 10's to 100. By 7 they could do much more, and now that they are 8 we are working on getting comfortable with the higher numbers through multiplication.

There are some free skip counting drill sheets here at Currclick from Lilliput Station. I laminated the 100 chart and used it to introduce each number. Then we used the drill sheets over and over, one number at a time. Then oral review. But this is at seven, he now has them memorised at 7.5.

RightStart has a skip counting game that helps (if you are using RS), and using the abacus to move the beads over in separated sets helps them picture it. (Again, that's if you are using RS.)

There is a card game called Speed which I am ordering that looks fun and has gotten good reviews.

of how to play it.