Menu

Talking about literature after it has been read

In my case, I have a degree in English. I enjoy analyzing literature. It is something that comes easily to me.

My dd is 11yo. So far it has worked just fine to discuss off the top of my head. However, in high school I intend to be more intentional about the process. I like the guidelines SWB enumerates in TWEM.

If you are not a former English major who gets high on analysis, I would suggest using TWEM as a guide. There is also nothing wrong with using lit guides to spark discussion. Just please keep in mind that the authors of said lit guides are NOT the only ones with a valid opinion. With literature, the idea is to defend any ideas you have ABOUT the book using snippets (words, phrases, passages) FROM the book. You can supplement those snippets with facts about the author's life too.

Furthermore, I suggest reading any given work (that you intend to analyze) twice. First, just read through to get a sense of the language and plot and characters. No analysis. Then read again, analyzing as you go.

I strongly, whole-heartedly and emphatically recommend you read the Well Educated Mind. I went to a college-prep high school, then college and grad school, and I never in all those years figured out how to analyze literature. It seemed like some innate skill you either had or didn't, and I assumed I didn't. The WEM breaks down the work of literary analysis into grammar/logic/rhetoric levels -- not the age levels we think of but levels of analysis -- with specific tasks for each level. The light bulb suddenly went off for me. It isn't rocket science after all!! It is now the method I use when we are going to tackle reading in a formal manner.

But, even before I had read the WEM, and even now for all the fun books we read, I simply talk with my kids about the book -- the characters, the twists and turns of the plot and if they were unexpected or not, and what we like or don't like about the book. We often find a movie version of the book and then talk about what the movie makers got right or, more often, what they got wrong. The conversations are casual, they weave in and out of our days, sometimes lasting over the course of a week. I think having simple discussion about reading makes future literary essays a bit less daunting as sharing opinions about books is a natural part of life.

One other tool I've used for tackling literature more formally has bee to use Sparknotes (sparknotes.com) which has a synopsis, character lists, context and short author biography, not to mention essay topics and quizzes, for lots of titles. It has been especially useful when the kids are reading something I've not read in years or have never read before.

Problem is, I don't have anything off the top of my head in that area.:lol: I am a mathy gal. Discussing the fine points of literature is not my area at all. I know I will be able to do it, but am looking for a place to start, KWIM. A place to start since I have not been able to dive in to TTC yet.

Can you recommend a small, easy list of things that I can begin with until I have a chance to do TTC, please? Just a few ideas to get me jump started, you know?

info that perhaps you could use.

We use and I highly recommend CLE reading. CLE reading helps us to carry over what we've learned with their program to understand and analyze longer works. It's a reader and 5 workbooks for 16 weeks of reading if used 5 days/wk. (we break it up with novels in between units).

CLE reading 5 includes:

SUNRISE READING 500 – Open Windows

LightUnit 501

Vocabulary words

Cause and effect

Identifying strong, active verbs

Describing story characters

Identifying similes

Defining words from context

Choosing facts to support a statement

Writing progressive degrees of a concept

Working with personification

Proving or disproving statements about a

story

Identifying and interpreting figures of

speech

Completing analogies

Inferring facts not directly stated

Understanding circumstantial evidence

and proof

Defining and using homographs

Understanding the term idiom

Interpreting common idioms

Answering five W questions

Numbering story events in order

Telling what story characters learned from

the way God worked

Listing traits of story characters

Working with rhythm and rhyme scheme

in poetry

LightUnit 502

Working with vocabulary words

Defining words from context

Understanding a proverb

Creating an alternate story title

Identifying character’s feelings

Identifying the most important event in a

story

Completing analogies that have more than

one correct answer

Understanding a nonverbal message

Predicting what happened after the story

Marking poetic rhythm

Using principle and principal

Scanning for answers or topics

Evaluating story characters’ actions

Identifying a story’s main lesson

Understanding the meaning of prejudice

and its foolishness

Identifying a biography

Defining foot as used in poetry

Identifying metrical feet in a poem

Thinking about race prejudice

Working with synonyms

Marking rhythm in a poem

LightUnit 503

Telling what could have happened

Identifying main ideas and summaries

Identifying a characters fears and hardships

Learning about other inventions of

Benjamin Franklin

Marking poetic rhythm and meter

Working with perfect and imperfect rhyme

Numbering unstated events in order

Identifying figures of speech

Defining and identifying metaphors

Finding evidence to support statements

Outlining a simple story plot

Explaining a figure of speech

Identifying metaphors, similes, and personification

Defining words from their context

Suggesting others whom the sinking of the

Titanic would have affected

Comparing a poem and a story

Identifying main ideas of paragraphs

Explaining the meanings of sentences

Understanding conflict, internal conflict,

and external conflict

Identifying areas of conflict in the story

LightUnit 504: Out in Nature

Identifying cause and effect

Identifying the story purpose and details

that further the story purpose

Working with guide words

Using the dictionary

Finding metaphors in the Bible

Defining biography

Identifying a metaphor in a poem

Scanning to locate facts

Writing an essay imagining he is Peter

walking on the water

Identifying a metaphor from the story

Marking the rhyme scheme of a poem

Writing another title for the story

Making a prediction

Categorizing natural resources

Naming reference books needed to find

answers to given questions

Identifying hints of how a character will act

Defining free verse

Identifying main ideas, story lessons, and

summaries of stories

Completing a poetic couplet

Reading about KJV Bible

Rewriting KJV phrases in modern English

Identifying characters, setting, external

and internal conflict in the story

Understanding a character’s actions

Imagining what might have happened

LightUnit 505

Working with vocabulary words.

Understanding story characters’ actions

and feelings

Working with main idea, story lesson, and

summary

Thinking about idle words

Working with personification

Making a simple outline of a story

Categorizing words

Explaining an idiom

Identifying emotions as shown by words

Interpreting figures of speech

Defining circumstantial evidence

Scanning for answers

Imagining details not given

Imagining story characters’ feelings and

explaining possible reasons for their

actions

Telling what might have happened

Identifying similes

Choosing exact, specific verbs to replace

weak ones

Learning the term epigram

I have just the thing for you! It's called Quick Flip Questions for Critical Thinking published by Edupress. It's this small little flip chart that has 6 levels of questions depending on what you are trying to accomplish. And it's cheap (I think I paid $4 or $5 for it).

Level 1 are questions for Knowledge ("What is...?" "How would you explain....?"); Level II is Comprehension ("How would you rephrase the meaning of...?"); Level III is Application ("What would result if...?"); Level IV is Analysis ("How is ____ related to _____?"); Level V is Synthesis ("Can you predict the outcome if...?" "How would you adapt _____ to create a different ____?"); Level VI is Evaluation ("Would it be better if...?" "What would you cite to defend the actions of....?")

You can Google it or try their website: www.edupressinc.com

Problem is, I don't have anything off the top of my head in that area.:lol: I am a mathy gal. Discussing the fine points of literature is not my area at all. I know I will be able to do it, but am looking for a place to start, KWIM. A place to start since I have not been able to dive in to TTC yet.

Can you recommend a small, easy list of things that I can begin with until I have a chance to do TTC, please? Just a few ideas to get me jump started, you know?

I would start simple. Take some of the basic literary terms and start by using those as a base for asking questions.

Characters

1) Who is/are the main character(s)? What are they like? Here is where you can introduce protagonist and antagonist, if you want.

2) Do you identify with the main character? Why or why not?

3) Do you like or dislike the main character? Why or why not?

Setting

1) Where does the story take place?

2) What time period is the story set in?

3) Is the setting a real place or imaginary?

Plot

1) What are the major events of the story?

2) Can you identify the climax of the story?

3) How is the conflict resolved?

Conflict

1) What type(s) of conflict are in the story? This is where you can introduce types of conflict: man v. man, man v. nature, man v. society, etc.

2) What is the main conflict of the story?

Theme

1) What is the overall theme of the story? You can introduce basic themes: good v. evil, coming of age, disobedience, overcoming the odds, etc.

2) Is there a moral or message the author is trying to share?

These are some basic questions to get started with. There are so many more you can ask. Sometimes just by asking one question the discussion will take on a life of it's own. You don't have to ask all the questions for a story and usually it is better not to. I would start by choosing one aspect to focus on and discuss that. The next time choose a different aspect, etc. The younger you start with introducing and talking about the different elements of a story, the easier it will be later on. Don't feel like you have to do a major analysis of a work at this age. An introduction of the basic elements and talking about them occassionally will be enough to lay a foundation.

We are working with TTC now and I am really enjoying it. I decided to work through the stories in the program with my kids. I prewatched all the DVD's and now am going through them with my dc. It is fun to watch the wheels turning in their minds and how they react to the stories. I pause the DVD so we can discuss the questions and then we see what the tv people had to say. It is fun when my dc watch and go "Hey, that is what I said!". :)

Anyway, have fun with it. Keep it casual and enjoyable and it will all work out just fine. :)

I use a variety of resources - TTC, Critical Conditioning, How to Read a Book, WEM, Ruth Beechick, websites (like this, this, and this.)

Flip through your TTC manual, and you can get some ideas before you watch it. But I really encourage you to carve out time to watch it soon!

Specifically, what we do: I have a list of books for the year that each dc and I will discuss. I read them ahead of time and take notes. After they read them (or during, depending on how long the book is,) we discuss and I use different methods to check comprehension. We also talk about literary technique, etc. Sometimes I use a literature guide, sometimes I make it up myself. They also have a list of books that they write repsonses to, and I check those over. Finally, they have a list that they are just to read without any of the above. I still read these, though, so that we can talk about them if they want.

The Emily Fisher talk "Literature" from the Veritas Press Teacher Training is invaluable. You can get it through Wordmp3.com. It gives a great overview of what we are trying to accomplish, as well as specific steps to get there.

Thanks to you all for such wonderful help and resources. I started school this week, before I have had a chance to get all of my work done! Ds started reading a book for assigned reading. I just wanted some quick ideas so that if he finishes before I have had a chance to watch the TTC dvds and such, I could go ahead and do something with him!

Now I have even more ideas and resources from which to glean information. Thanks for sharing with me!

I am in the middle of watching TTC. I know diddly squat about lit analysis, but if you have the syllabus I'd recommend you look through there. Reading through the first two lessons and reviewing the socratic questions may give you a place to start.

I started outlining our plans today, we are reading Bulfinch's Mythology. I preread and highlighted some points within the text to bring up and discuss.

We are starting with baby steps.

We sometimes use a form from the Senior High Form-U-La book. (We've used it in 4th-6th grades, with a few adaptations.) It has a few of the usuals on there -- noting the author, what "person" it is written in, what time period it's about, etc.

But the part my son likes best is where he gives a number (1-5?) for the book's value in various categories (historical, scientific, moral, religious, even tear-jerking value LOL). He likes that he doesn't have to write much...

I like taking his eval in hand and asking him why he chose to give the book a 2 for moral value, etc. I find out some interesting thoughts in my ds little brain :o)

Julie

Shock! Horror! Yes, you read that subject line right: In my opinion, a 10 year old child doesn't need to engage in literary analysis. Read. Enjoy. Chat informally if you're so led. Rinse and repeat ~ as the saying goes 'round these parts.;) I cringe when I hear/read detailed means of "discussing" literature with young ones. I'm so glad no one forced me to do that when I was 10; it likely would have led me to do a U-turn as far as my high interest in literature was concerned.

Don't sweat it. Ten is young.