Menu

Homeschooling Insurance Card

SJ.

Ok ladies, I need to know something serious. Where do I get my Homeschooling Insurance Card? Are the premiums high? What exactly will I be insuring - that my children are properly educated? Properly socialized? Not scarred for life?

Today at Barnes and Noble I was informed that my educator's discount card will be expiring at the end of the month. When I told the lady helping me that we homeschooled and that I did not have a school ID card she informed me that I can bring in my Homeschooling Insurance Card. I informed her that I never heard of such a thing and that when I received the card I just told the B&N employee that we homeschooled. She strongly felt that I should look into getting my insurance card and that I should bring it in next time.

Someone fess up, where do I get one? Is this like some secret society or something? Perhaps a Hive membership card will do?

:lol: Good times at the book store. :lol:

You didn't get your yours with the goat? Maybe he ate the cupcakes and the card. :lol:

As I read your post I had my B&N educator card in my hand. It's been on my desk for two weeks because it's expired. I haven't even bothered to see what I need to renew it. Last time they were such a pain in person, like they were doing me this HUGE favor by believing I was a homeschooler. In our last state we had a Letter of Intent and received a much copied receipt of letter in return. My B&N almost didn't accept it. Um, it's from the state, lady.

That is just creepy. I don't get it.

Though I couldn't get my Joann's card this year because I didn't have an official authorization letter from my county. I had one last year as it was our first year, but they just check a block on our spring review form to say we're continuing.

And I had to inform the woman at Joann's numerous times that the county does not "authorize" me to do anything. And then she said maybe I could bring in a pay stub. Really? If you don't know the process, don't try to speak to it.

I was hoping someone here would have fessed up to making an insurance card to show as proof of homeschooling, I thought it had 'The Hive' written all over it. :D

Seriously, I don't know what she was talking about and I don't think she did either.

Getting that discount card from B&N is a crap shoot, even though the corporate offices are totally on board with it.

When I was in California, I owned/administered an umbrella school. I went into B&N with my business checking account--you know, the one with the school name on it instead of my personal name--a faculty card with my name on it, and I might also have had my private school affidavit, to show that it was a bona fide school. Nope. No educators' card for me. I had to have...wait for it...lesson plans. Or a pay stub.

:blink:

B&N is just not worth it.

Getting that discount card from B&N is a crap shoot, even though the corporate offices are totally on board with it.

When I was in California, I owned/administered an umbrella school. I went into B&N with my business checking account--you know, the one with the school name on it instead of my personal name--a faculty card with my name on it, and I might also have had my private school affidavit, to show that it was a bona fide school. Nope. No educators' card for me. I had to have...wait for it...lesson plans. Or a pay stub.

:blink:

B&N is just not worth it.

Whoa, that is crazy! :glare:

You need a Membership Card. To an Official Homeschooling Group. It will Prove you are a Homeschooler, because it is an Official Membership Card.

And fortunately for you, I have a form for that. Simply use a word processing program to fill in the name of your Homeschooling Group (replacing "Your Group Name Here Homeschool Co-Op" on the form), then either print it on colored card stock, or print on regular paper and take it to a printer and have it copied onto card stock. Cut out the cards (10 per page), and issue them to members of your Official Homeschooling Group.

(For future reference, it's on my website, under "useful forms", under "misc.")

Please use responsibly. ;)

Just for you

Oh - and that was brilliant!!!

You need a Membership Card. To an Official Homeschooling Group. It will Prove you are a Homeschooler, because it is an Official Membership Card.

And fortunately for you, I have a form for that. Simply use a word processing program to fill in the name of your Homeschooling Group (replacing "Your Group Name Here Homeschool Co-Op" on the form), then either print it on colored card stock, or print on regular paper and take it to a printer and have it copied onto card stock. Cut out the cards (10 per page), and issue them to members of your Official Homeschooling Group.

(For future reference, it's on my website, under "useful forms", under "misc.")

Please use responsibly. ;)

Oh - and that was brilliant!!!

Thanks, I just started a group that I co-organize and maybe we will use these.

The first time I asked about a homeschoolers card at Barnes & Noble they refused because I "could be faking." hm. Borders (back then) was much much nicer about it - they asked to see the card we had from the state, but they weren't all that interested in it anyway. I think in the end I got the Borders educators card without actually bringing in the state card... but I would have been fine with that too. (I just never carry that sort of thing.)

What got me the Barnes & Noble card was showing up with a stack of books at the register... and my Borders card. And the phrase "oh my gosh, I wasn't thinking - I guess I'll have to buy these at Borders" They were pretty quick about the card then!

I have to say though... when we got a new Barnes & Noble, the manager there went out of her way to encourage homeschoolers to shop there. No problem with the discount card, and they specifically invited us to their teachers appreciation events. That was much nicer.