Menu

A math program for a struggling student that needs solid math

I am looking for a math program for dd that struggles in math, but needs a very solid college prep math program. Of all my children, she is the worst at taking direction/instruction from me. She works slowly and (I feel) still doesn't have a solid grasp of the basics. I think she is willing to put in the time needed to progress, I just need a good program. I was thinking Chalkdust. We could begin with Basic Math this year (7th) and work through one level per year, taking whatever amount of time needed to work at that pace. She really loves science (especially chemistry/physics) and we are both frustrated in that her math skills are holding her back. She plans to dual enroll (part time) for the last two years of high school and is truly looking forward to taking a college science class each semester. I've watched the video demonstrations online (as has she) and they seem to me to be very thorough yet clear. Chalkdust seems to have a good reputation.

So basically, would Chalkdust work for a struggling, but determined student?

Or are there other programs I can consider?

What she has used in the past:

1st-5th: Singapore 1-4A (with IP and CWP) + some Saxon

6th - Saxon 65, LOF Fractions, Key to Fractions

7th - currently planned, but struggling - Saxon 76, LOF Decimals, Key to Decimals

Teaching Textbooks gets a lot of bashing here, but our experience is positive. My then-8th grader tested into calculus at the local university this summer following completion of TT Alg 2 (she also used TT for pre-alg, Alg 1, and geometry. Previous program was Singapore). Ultimately we had her do pre-calc with Derek Owens (in progress now), and she's doing great.

I think TT is great for a struggling student or advanced student.

Do you have a goal as to when to start Algebra I? My 7th grader struggles but we are pushing to start Alg 1 in 9th grade. We've been using MEP and she is 2/3 done with Y4. After Y6 I anticipate being able to start Algebra I. MEP is really solid. You could try MEP 7-9, which I think you could complete in 2 years from what I have read. It is for students who haven't done MEP in the younger grades. Just a thought, but not one that pulls you out of it so feel free to ignore it!

We hope to start Algebra I in 9th (actually the summer after 8th.) Sorry, but what does MEP stand for? Thanks!

Do you have a goal as to when to start Algebra I? My 7th grader struggles but we are pushing to start Alg 1 in 9th grade. We've been using MEP and she is 2/3 done with Y4. After Y6 I anticipate being able to start Algebra I. MEP is really solid. You could try MEP 7-9, which I think you could complete in 2 years from what I have read. It is for students who haven't done MEP in the younger grades. Just a thought, but not one that pulls you out of it so feel free to ignore it!

http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/projects/mep/default.htm

MEP is a math program that is available online and free of charge. It was translated from Hungarian by someone in Britain I think.

If you want to see the kinds of things we did this week, look at Year 4 page 113-118 Lesson plans and Practice book(the student pages) I think the following link will take you to the Year 4 materials. The material in the lesson plans is essential to get the full benefit of the program. The lesson plans contains an explanation of the student pages and also contains things to do with them/teach them that is not on the student pages. Often my daughter can work some of the teaching part on her own after I set her up and explain it. This week we had some problems that are really Algebra e/9>4 for example. All of the metric units work is used for base ten/decimal practice and shouldn't be seen as something you need to change to English units.

http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/projects/mep/default.htm

Kendall

Teaching Textbooks gets a lot of bashing here, but our experience is positive.

:iagree:

My oldest son used TT in middle school, including Algebra I in eighth grade. He decided to go back to public school for high school and opted to take Algebra I again just in case he'd missed anything. He hadn't. He pretty much slept through the class, did none of the (optional) homework and finished with a 100 average. He's now a junior and did TT pre-calculus this summer to get a jump on his honors pre-calculus class at school. So far he's doing very, very well.

• 3 weeks later...

My son has struggled in math too and TT just doesn't offer enough review for a math-challenged student. The working-out of every problem is a nice touch, certainly, but there just isn't enough review for a student who struggles, plus we found that the test questions were usually more difficult than anything encountered in the student workbook. That turned out to be a real confidence crusher for him. I wish I had started him with Saxon -- the abundant repetition probably would've been really helpful in his case.

He has made it to Algebra II now:tongue_smilie: and is doing well with Math Relief.

:iagree:

My oldest son used TT in middle school, including Algebra I in eighth grade. He decided to go back to public school for high school and opted to take Algebra I again just in case he'd missed anything. He hadn't. He pretty much slept through the class, did none of the (optional) homework and finished with a 100 average. He's now a junior and did TT pre-calculus this summer to get a jump on his honors pre-calculus class at school. So far he's doing very, very well.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I went over all of them with dd and she decided to try Chalkdust. We have received PreAlgebra already (and I just purchased the Chalkdust Basic Math program as well.) We spent some time looking through the entire text and listening to a few of the lectures and believe that this may be just what we need. I'm thinking about purchasing Algebra I and II as well for my eldest dd to work through. I still feel that she has gaps in her understanding of Algebra, despite decent test scores.

My son has struggled in math too and TT just doesn't offer enough review for a math-challenged student.

Definitely depends on the kid. My DD absolutely hated math, cried over it, "couldn't do it" etc. Two years later with TT, math is her favorite subject and she tested on her national test in the upper 10%. Some kids are "math challenged" because of the program, not the kid.

We LOVE TT.