Menu

How do we find cleaning help?

I'm running up against a wall here, and frustrated. I know, I know... lots of people don't have cleaning help, but DH and I have made the choice that this is a priority for us. Between his career & travel, HSing, our business, and my long-term chronic health issues... It's a necessary luxury.

We have had weekly help for years. Years. It was all fine, until our long-term housekeeper had to move due to a family situation. Now we have run through a string of housekeepers who don't work out due to one reason or another after several months: they cancel at the last minute on various weeks; radically inconsistent work; or just a slow decline in their work. The latest, who has been with us several months now, has child care issues. Okay. So now we are on the hunt again. Ugh.

Now I'm wondering if we're just asking too much? Are these people not working out because we are looking for too much? Or is this just ... bad luck? Are we making bad hiring choices?

We want someone who will come on the same day each week (preferably toward the end of the work week, but we are flexible); someone who can come later in the morning due to DH's work schedule (he works from a home office, so we need quiet mornings) - that part is not negotiable.

I want someone who will do the basic housecleaning, with a few extras (leather conditioner on couches weekly; once a month put a wood conditioner on a few pieces of furniture). I also want (but don't have) someone who will rotate a deep cleaning for each room every few months; do baseboards; and vacuum under the couch cushions. We are fine with paying extra for these.

Am I looking for way too much in a house cleaner? If my hopes are absolutely not reasonable - just say so. :)

And if they are not... How on earth do I find someone who will be consistent?

Any thoughts or advice here would be welcome.

I wonder, have you thought of using an older homeschooled teen? You may have to provide specific direction the first few times, but it might work out.

(I don't think you are asking too much. From what I hear, finding reliable help is difficult)

Thanks. I hadn't thought of a homeschooled teen. I can check into that, although I have no leads at the moment. My main concern is making absolutely certain that s/he feels that we are not taking advantage of her/him (parents included), but I think we could alleviate that by paying the same amount we'd pay anyone to do the job.

Thanks for saying that we're not asking too much. I really started to think that maybe it was just us, and hearing a bit of validation that we're not searching in vain for too much helps.

Thanks. I hadn't thought of a homeschooled teen. I can check into that, although I have no leads at the moment. My main concern is making absolutely certain that s/he feels that we are not taking advantage of her/him (parents included), but I think we could alleviate that by paying the same amount we'd pay anyone to do the job.

Thanks for saying that we're not asking too much. I really started to think that maybe it was just us, and hearing a bit of validation that we're not searching in vain for too much helps.

this. It would help if you could find someone that you know, but not too well, if you know what I mean.(to avoid hurt feelings if it doesn't work) I'd also be sure to make sure that you have a trial period, where you or the teen can cancel the arrangement if it isn't working out. If I were in your shoes, I would expect the first 2 times to work alongside the teen SHOWING him or her exactly how you prefer to have things done. My teen wouldn't have a clue about leather conditioning since we don't have leather furnishings, but would pay attention if you showed her. She also thinks that cleaning the tub is all that is required of cleaning the shower and forgets to wipe all the little shower shelves unless I remind her. So you may have to be VERY specific.

I found my cleaning lady through my local homeschooling list. Can you start there?

Oh, that's a good idea. I've tried all sorts of local lists, but not our local homeschooling list. That might lead in to the other idea, too, of finding a home schooled teen, if all else fails. Thanks!

this. It would help if you could find someone that you know, but not too well, if you know what I mean.(to avoid hurt feelings if it doesn't work) I'd also be sure to make sure that you have a trial period, where you or the teen can cancel the arrangement if it isn't working out. If I were in your shoes, I would expect the first 2 times to work alongside the teen SHOWING him or her exactly how you prefer to have things done.

Those are excellent ideas. Thank you.

There is a lady who Does an amazing job cleaning all of my neighbors' houses (not mine) and there is a waiting list for her. She cleans for 8 hours, all baseboards, every dang surface, etc. she makes $200 a day, there is, I repeat a waiting list. I recommend asking people in your community who they use. There will be THAT person, and no one will want to give her up...but they will...because they like to brag about her. :D my neighbors do.

Ask around. I started asking friends about reliable help. I will be blunt and say that I only asked my friends who had high standards. I asked teachers, doctors and such. I love my friends but some of them shrug off basic cleaning (but would still know someone looking for work cleaning a house). Most people know someone who is looking for work and is cleaning houses, but these are people who clean because they have nothing else to do and usually don't really like cleaning. They will be okay for a few weeks but then slack off a bit.

I also asked for an interview and references. The person we ended up with actually charged more than the others, but already had several clients. We do not regret using her and she now has a waiting list.

Thanks, Mad Charity and Slippers.

I will start asking around again. That is how we found our last, great gem-of-a-cleaning-lady. This time around I asked on our local community lists. I suspect that the people who were referred were people who needed work, and our experience has been much like Slipper noted.

[sigh] ...Back to the drawing board...

I do miss our old cleaning lady!

No advice, just to say that I don't think you're expecting too much, and that we have had very similar problems to yourselves. I'm even willing to pay quit a bit more than the going rate locally, but still haven't found anyone whose work I'm happy with and who is reliable (I have found reliable people who do sub-standard work, and people who clean well but aren't reliable, sigh). I'm back to trying to do it all myself again, and it's exhausting. The only thing that keeps me going is knowing that I can spend the cleaning money on Amazon :tongue_smilie:.

No advice, just to say that I don't think you're expecting too much, and that we have had very similar problems to yourselves. I'm even willing to pay quit a bit more than the going rate locally, but still haven't found anyone whose work I'm happy with and who is reliable (I have found reliable people who do sub-standard work, and people who clean well but aren't reliable, sigh). I'm back to trying to do it all myself again, and it's exhausting. The only thing that keeps me going is knowing that I can spend the cleaning money on Amazon :tongue_smilie:.

:lol: I did consider that option, for the same reason. :)

Have to kind of laugh at this... We are having such a problem hiring someone, and DH is currently hiring for his company - and he is having a similar problem finding applicants that are qualified. Apparently, we don't live in an area with people who are hungry for work? Or not the kind of work we can offer...

With any luck we'll both find someone soon. Otherwise I might have to jump back on the FlyLady bandwagon *gasp!*

Yes, I'd look for a homeschooled teen or a college student, perhaps. I did housecleaning in college for one of the veterinary professors, and I worked for her for several years until I graduated (and then my sister took over :)). I don't think you're asking too much at all; I would just make sure that they know exactly what you want done (maybe a checklist), and that you're paying fairly (I'm sure you are). Good luck.

When we owned a cleaning business, we did most of our work from referrals, so ask around. We would have charged extra for the extras you listed, but that would have been written into the initial contract.

In our three years of business we only turned down one person as a client, she wanted way too much done each visit and we wouldn't have been able to do another job that day.

Also don't discount male cleaners, if that is something your comfortable with. My dh ran the business, did all the client contact, and is a neat freak. He was the one doing the bulk of the cleaning, I was his "help".

When we owned a cleaning business, we did most of our work from referrals, so ask around. We would have charged extra for the extras you listed, but that would have been written into the initial contract.

In our three years of business we only turned down one person as a client, she wanted way too much done each visit and we wouldn't have been able to do another job that day.

Also don't discount male cleaners, if that is something your comfortable with. My dh ran the business, did all the client contact, and is a neat freak. He was the one doing the bulk of the cleaning, I was his "help".

Thanks, I was hoping someone with experience might reply! Yes, we always pay extra for the "extras" ... we usually discuss at our initial meeting and write it up in the estimate. I would be totally fine with a male cleaner, too, once we adjusted to the thought. Married couple would be a bonus, I'm thinking it would take less time with two working.

I will do more asking around, and see who we can find... Now that I think about it, the best cleaners we've ever had were ones who came recommended by family/friends. We just don't know as many people with housekeepers in our immediate area now, so I'm relying on referrals from the community email list, etc. I think asking our docs, etc might be a good idea.

I am so tempted to just do this myself, honestly, but I know that it would fly for now, but the next time I go into a flare things would fall apart. Aaaack.

:iagree: The very best cleaner we ever had was a Polish boy who was working as an au pair for one of my friends and did cleaning to earn a little extra while he was here. He was so full of energy and with very high standards, and he even enjoyed the kids being around while he cleaned. According to my friend's boys he also made the best puddings ever.