Menu

Memory Work

laughing lioness

We are doing CC Cycle 1, AWANA for Scripture, First Catechism, Character First, the Gospel for Children, and IEW Poetry. And IF we get around to signing up for self-paced history they will memorize the timeline cards from VP for OT/AE. In the summer I want them to do the Bible cards for Genesis-Joshua.....

Religious:

Articles of Faith 1-3

Proverbs 3:5-6

Mosiah 2:17

Amos 3:7

John 14:15

D&C 82:10

Poems:

Who Has Seen the Wind -Christina Rosetti

The Falling Star -Sara Teasdale

At the Seaside -Robert Louis Stevenson

Happy Thought -Robert Louis Stevenson

Facts/Lists:

Names of the Continents (and places on a map)

Names of the Oceans (and places on a map)

The 8 planets in order

The 4 points on a compass

Colors of a rainbow

Address and Phone number

She has already memorized Article of Faith 1, "Happy Thought" and the continents. We just started Article of Faith 2 today. I didn't know what she would be capable of because she's only four years old, but we're speeding through them right now. And that's not counting "The Jumblies," "Jabberwocky," "The Walrus and the Carpenter," and "Lobster Quadrille" that she has almost memorized because of a cd of poems we listen to in the car. These seem to be her favorites.

Edited by MeaganS

Religious:

Articles of Faith 1-3

Proverbs 3:5-6

Mosiah 2:17

Amos 3:7

John 14:15

D&C 82:10

Poems:

Who Has Seen the Wind -Christina Rosetti

The Falling Star -Sara Teasdale

At the Seaside -Robert Louis Stevenson

Happy Thought -Robert Louis Stevenson

Facts/Lists:

Names of the Continents (and places on a map)

Names of the Oceans (and places on a map)

The 8 planets in order

The 4 points on a compass

Colors of a rainbow

Address and Phone number

She has already memorized Article of Faith 1, "Happy Thought" and the continents. We just started Article of Faith 2 today. I didn't know what she would be capable of because she's only four years old, but we're speeding through them right now. And that's not counting "The Jumblies," "Jabberwocky," "The Walrus and the Carpenter," and "Lobster Quadrille" that she has almost memorized because of a cd of poems we listen to in the car. These seem to be her favorites.

What cd is this? Sounds like fun!

What cd is this? Sounds like fun!

My aunt, who is a children's librarian, often receives books and educational cds to review for different publications. She'll send a lot of the stuff to me after she's done with it because her children are too old. That's how I received this one, otherwise I would never have known about it.

This particular cd is called "Favourite Poems for Children." Obviously, by the spelling, all the performances have British accents. There are a few poems I skip, but it is pretty good and both of my smaller children enjoy it in the car. This site lists all the poems on it.

We do!

This year:

Link:

The Land of Nod (in FLL 3)

A Tragic Story (FLL)

I Wandered Lonely As a Cloud (FLL)

A Time to Talk (FLL)

The Bells (FLL)

A Slash of Blue (FLL)

Astro:

The Goops (FLL 2)

The Year (FLL)

The Little Bird (FLL)

All Things Bright and Beautiful (FLL)

Both:

NT books

rulers of England

OT books

one other list that I haven't decided on yet :)

Lamentations 3:21-26

Psalm 100

Psalm 121

MacBeth selection (SOTW)

Shakespeare Sonnet 18

Ya'll are awesome! You got me remembering some stuff -lol! :001_smile:

Ds 9 is going to do Awanas this year. And we're really going to add in VP Bible Cards.

And I love Living Memory!

Is the CD Language Aquisition thru Poetry Memorization by IEW?

Edited by laughing lioness

We do memory/recitation work. I stayed up way to late last night working on my plan for this year. Most of the plan is still in a scribbled state on notebook pages. While I like to think it will get typed up nice and neatly and all the pages copied and organized, I will probably be working off of my scribbled notes for most of the year. :001_smile:

We are basically pulling ideas for Living Memory and a few other sources and lining it all up with other subjects we are studying.

My son actually enjoys memory work. Unlike his sister who would rather have her teeth pulled than recite a mother goose rhyme. :tongue_smilie:

Guest AnnieMueller

yay, thanks for all these great lists. I wasn't going to do any memory work other than our weekly bible verse, but the kiddos are really enjoying it so much that I figured... Why not? Wasn't sure where to start, though - so now I have some awesome lists to look over. ;)

Thanks all.

In this order of importance:

The 49 Qualities for Success, their definition, antonyms and 5 "I wills". I love that alertness and attentiveness come first. :lol: I might need to edit some of this, but...it's good stuff. http://www.amazon.com/Achieving-True-Success-Character-Family/dp/0967994101

Math Facts listed in The Core.

Don Potter's Phonograms

3 climate zones, 7 continents, oceans, seas, major rivers, mountains.

Edited by Hunter

We started working on Horatius at the Bridge this morning. It is so fun to read through- great ryhme scheme. I told the kids if they completed the "Churchill Challenge" (Memorizing the whole thing) this year they could each pick a prize. Ds 12 picked a med sized Lego Set and dd 9 picked a movie party with 3 friends.

And i'm going to videotape them reciting it and put it on my blog. Now THAT Is motivation for them;)

Poems from Primary Language Lessons

Awana Memory Verses

We are doing some of the Classical Conversations Cycle 1 memory work. I'm just picking and choosing what I want them to memorize. We are working on memorizing Exodus 20:1-17 by Christmas.

They are also memorizing the memory song from VP's Old Testament and Ancient Egypt course.

Edited by jpope