Menu

started my new workout/health program

And I don't think I'm going to survive;)

I started a cleanse on Friday and that is going well. Today, I started 1800 cal diet which I plan to follow for at least 2-3 weeks. The nutritionist said that *should* be enough to make me lose weight and still support my daily activity as long as I make every bite count (no M&Ms in the calorie count, all quality food). IF I'm not losing any weight, I'll lower it to 1500 cal. My goal is 1lb a week for 10 weeks. I will drop to 1200 cal if I have to, but I will not go any lower.

Today, I also started a new Kathy Smith total body workout dvd which I think is going to kick my butt. Tomorrow I'll do the balance/core and stretching dvd I also bought yesterday. I've walked at least 3 miles a day, every day for at least a year now. But, it is not enough. It feels like my body has adapted to that level of exercise and needs more to change. It is great for stress reduction, but I'm not improving my stamina, tone, or losing any weight. In fact, I've gained a few lbs.

Encouragment please!!!! I have to make lifestyle changes not that I'm 50. I WILL NOT buy a bigger size jeans. I Will tone/firm up, increase flexibility, improve stress management. And hopefully lose 10lbs in the process. I'll be very happy if the jeans fit better by the time the fall weather gets here and I have more energy.

You can do it! It sounds like a doable plan. A plan you can't live with is worthless. I hear you about 50. I'll turn 50 in Jan. things take attention now they didn't used too. Remember, if you can hang on a month the hardest part will be over.:grouphug:

Yes, the first month is the hardest and my energy levels fluctuate with my hormone levels. That is why the nutritionist suggested 1800 cal to start. We don't really know how many calories I've been eating/day. But, given all the numbers, I should not gain any weight at 1800. I might not lose any though, but at least I'll be eating a balanced amount. I'm changing quite a few things so stability might not be a bad thing.

It sounds like a really good plan until you said you would drop to 1200. Don't.

:iagree: though I doubt you'd have to.

You're right about your body adapting. Your muscles get very effiencient doing the same thing all the time. And, just as a point of reference: whenever I take somebody else's classes, I totally feel it. One of my colleagues, who has taught group exercise classes for almost 30 years, complains about the same thing. That made me feel better, less like a slouch. So if you're feeling kicked, take heart. "Fitness professionals" get our butts kicked, too.

I'm not sure I'd do a cleanse, new diet, and switch my exercise routine into high gear all at once - I would definitely advise a client against it - but that's just more "miser factor" than any concretely based objection. ;)

You can do it!!!

I began Weight Watchers on January 1st and have dropped 35 pounds and two clothing sizes. I have been on plan 99.9% of the time (and that includes a trip to Las Vegas!).

Exercise exercise exercise (I swim 4-5 days/week and for the past three weeks have been going 7 days/week plus walking the dog 2-3 miles/day).

Get the family involved in exercising and eating healthier!

It sounds like a really good plan until you said you would drop to 1200. Don't.

I totally agree about not dropping to 1200. I'm hoping the 1800 cal will do the trick. So far, I'm finding it hard to eat that much "good" food. Whole wheat, salad, and such are much more filling than higher calorie "junk" food.

I totally agree about not dropping to 1200. I'm hoping the 1800 cal will do the trick. So far, I'm finding it hard to eat that much "good" food. Whole wheat, salad, and such are much more filling than higher calorie "junk" food.

Good job and keep it up! I am getting back on the bandwagon after a couple of great vacations this summer. Once I upped my exercise and got back to eating whole food, the lbs are finally coming off. I think it's great that you're going to a nutritionist. It is hard for me to eat 1800 calories/day when I'm eating well for just the reason you stated above. I really have to force myself to eat because I want to fuel my body for the exercise and I have pay a lot more attention to nutritional content. Isn't it interesting how much exercising can change our eating habits for the better?

BTW, I'm getting my butt kicked all over the place by my workouts these days, but the results are worth it. :D

I've spent my 30s being "fat" and have decided I want to be fit and fab in my 40s. Your plan sounds like mine. I don't know how much weight I've lost (I tend to be obsessive about things---so I'm not watching my weight), but I've gone down a little bit more than a clothing size. I'm eating between 1500 and 1700 calories a day. It really took a change of focus for me to get use to that amount of food. I use to feel that I "deserved" the food. I really really like food. I've learned that I really really like how I feel when I eat reasonable amounts of healthy food. My thinking has started to change--and it helps that I like seeing the changes in the mirror.

Keep at it! You are worth it!