Menu

Anyone else using Sassafras Science?

Sharilynn29

We are 2 weeks into Sassafras science from Elemental Science. My 8yo dd and I are both loving it! We only read from the book twice a week, but she would love for me to read it everyday. We've done the SCIDAT logbook, habitat posters, cheetah mask, I Spy, copywork, and food chart. I've read extra books and watched documentaries with my dd.

Anyone else enjoying this curriculum?

We just received ours last week and I can't wait to start.

We are going to do a unit on animal classification that I already had planned and then we will start. I can't wait it looks like fun.

The first chapter discussions animal classification so you might be able to start and use your unit to expand it then continue with chapter 2 when you are done studying classifications.

Heather

We are starting this next week as a secondary program that DD hopefully can do quite a bit independently -- we're still using BFSU as our main family program, but that's limited in anything she can do on her own without a lot of planning on my part. I'm going to stretch it out over the whole year -- using the "two day a week" schedule -- with one "day" as one week's assignments and the other "day" as the second week's assignments.

Can someone remind me where Sassafras stands on evolution? Also, since there's obviously a good bit about taxonomy, is it updated? Taxonomy has changed a LOT in the last couple of years (and is still all being redone by scientists, as I understand it).

I was curious and took a look.

It's put out by the same people who do Elemental Science and here's the link to the FAQ for that curriculum.

www.elementalscience.com/faq.html

Neutral in the early years and explores both theories in the upper level programs, I guess?

I've never seen the actual materials and there's no information about Sassafras directly, so grain of salt?

Edited by MrsBasil
I can't link right!

Can someone remind me where Sassafras stands on evolution? Also, since there's obviously a good bit about taxonomy, is it updated? Taxonomy has changed a LOT in the last couple of years (and is still all being redone by scientists, as I understand it).

We've read all but the last forty pages of the book, thus far

The book itself does not mention evolution. There is one passing reference to God/prayer. It is not in reference to science but rather a minor character praying for other characters in a potentially dangerous situation. It makes sense in the context of the storyline.

The taxonomy in the book is the standard amphibian, reptile, mammal, bird, fish, and invertebrate variety. The level of detail provided about each animal is fairly basic. I believe the intent is for you to use supplemental materials to get your desired amount of additional information about each animal.

My sons are really enjoying the book. I wish the authors planned to release the rest of series more quickly than one volume a year.

We start Tuesday. (that's when we start school). I will be using it as a combination Science and Geography program. I am so excited about it. It looks terrific.

Heather

We are doing accidental geography through this program. Since we currently are not doing any history, I might stretch out the lessons to make it a full science and geography course. Marking the maps for the different habitats, learning continents and oceans, specific studies about locations where they visit, good documentaries of different locations and habitats. Yeah! I can see how this can easily be changed to a one year program.

ooh great idea turning it into a 1 year program with geography included, now I am even more confused about science for next year than ever, i think i have narrowed my choices down to 2 (RSO and sassafras) but now with the geography slant, hmm, definitely looking like a great option.

• 3 weeks later...