Menu

Foam Mattress Toppers?

When we visit Costco on our annual trips to the U.S., we often look at the mattress toppers and can't seem to decide whether we should get them or not. Has anyone tried these? Recommendations, thoughts? I really would love to hear if anyone has a problem with these in the heat. Grenada is very hot even when our A/C is on the coolest setting. I would love to make a wise decision on this, since shipping and duties here cost a fortune.

Thank you so much. :)

Comfort Revolution Body Therapy Memory Foam Mattress Topper

Novaform Gel Memory Foam Topper

NovaForm Pure Comfort Memory Foam Mattress Topper

Serta 2.5-Inch Gel-Memory Foam Mattress Topper

About 4 years ago, we bought a Novaform air bed mattress (like a sleep number) with the memory foam topper from Costco. We love it. BUT, the memory foam is too hot for me. It holds all of my body heat in and the part of my body that is touching the mattress overheats. So, I don't use many covers, even in the winter, and the part of my body that is not next to the mattress freezes. At first, I thought it was just me, as my dh doesn't have this issue. But, I've been spending a lot of time at my sister's (helping take care of my mom) and I don't have that problem sleeping in the bed at her house. I've been trying to find a solution and searched online. Someone recommended getting a thicker, better quality mattress pad to put another layer between your body and the memory foam. Didn't do a thing. Someone suggested layering a thick Turkish towel between you and the mattress. I put that over my new mattress pad. Didn't do a thing.

THEN, a couple of weeks ago, I found a website that sells cooling mattress pads for these kinds of situations. It seems to be working! Even in the above 90 degree weather I'm comfortable. I'm so excited that I might be able to use my blankets and comforters this winter again. It was quite expensive, so was a big decision to make to order one. But, there is a 30 day money back guarantee.

We have a 1.5in memory foam topper on our bed in our other house. It's ok, but it is warm and it doesn't completely cover the mattress top (even tho it's a Qu size :glare:) so there's a bit of a ridge on the edge.

I much prefer a pillow-top topper, like you'd find on an expensive mattress. That's maybe just me, tho.

We bought a foam mattress topper from Costco about five years ago. The topper fits the mattress perfectly. I love the topper! When we travel I miss it.

The mattress topper does make you hotter though. The summers are hot where I live 100+ degrees some days, but I wouldn't think about taking off the topper, I love it too much.

Please post a link for the cooling mattress pad. I am always boiling as soon as I lie down. The only kind of mattress that doesn't overheat me is an air mattress. I love how comfortable our bed is, but I really need some way to keep cool and I also need to keep it just on my side of the bed because my dh is always freezing to death. I have just a sheet on my side and am still boiling. He has three blankets on his side is always freezing.

Angie, you sound like my husband and I. I don't know how he can be cold when he radiates so much heat.

Here is the link:

http://www.coolingmattress.com

I got the cooling mattress pad. They also have cooling sheets and pillow cases.

The mattress pad covers the whole top of the mattress, so I'm not sure how you would just put it on your side.

I bought ours without saying anything to my dh. I put it on the bed and he hasn't seemed to notice. The website says something about how it moderates the temp, so maybe it doesn't over cool him? It is so great not to wake up several times in the night way too hot and sweaty. I'm really looking forward to this winter when I can hopefully use our down comforter again and other blankets. I love the feel of the weight of covers in winter and haven't been able to do that in several years.

I bought one at Macy's; don't know the brand. We do not have any problem with heat. After years of PT following a car accident that caused significant lumbar and c-spine injuries, I can now move my head freely (through most of my normal range of motion) walk much farther, sit through church, and no longer hurt all day long.

I would recommend one any day, and the topper is much cheaper than trying an entire mattress. Our first topper was on sabbatical-- we slept on air mattresses covered by a topper on a concrete floor for four months in Minnesota, because the homeowners didn't leave us a bed in the master BR! I didn't want to go back to our bed at home :). We settled for buying a topper or our bed when we came home.