Menu

Swedish Drill at the beginning of day, (or anytime)

It's CM stuff.

There's a little preview of explaining it, it's as she says, "advanced Simon Says".

It was really interesting the effect it had on the kid, was like it "turned her ears on".

I'd think kids in dance, music instruction and some sports are naturals at this.

Edited by one*mom

I wonder how this would work for a frustrated child needing refocused. A mini-mind break with a little physical activity--just enough to renew and refresh focus. This may be partly what Charlotte had in mind.

I imagine some kids would find this fun--especially when several instructions are given at once. A different kind of challenge for the mind and a break from the desk for the body.

Edited by Hilltop Academy

I like this idea. Somehow I missed it in my Charlotte Mason readings in the past. Makes me want to go back and re-read. But, then there is the danger I'll end up changing a lot of plans. :tongue_smilie:

Have more people been doing this? I'm curious to see some more feedback. We're on vacation right now, and starting school on September 3.

I considered trying it this week, but am still thinking about it. This is probably one of the times we can make use of her recommendations without taking them literally. She was using what was then a modern form of exercise. I haven't looked into it much, but I doubt it is more beneficial than various other exercises. I think a mental and physical break from desk/book work is what's important.

On the other hand, it does seem like it might be fun, so we might give it a go. I'll keep you posted.

Anyone else giving it a try?

Edited by Hilltop Academy

I looked at the Parents' Union School schedules this morning. Drill and singing had a 20 min time slot daily in the upper grades. I can't imagine doing Swedish Drill for 10-20 min at a set time during school hours--either for exercise or a mental break.

We tried it a bit this morning. It was a little fun for something different, but there are other activities that would be more beneficial to us. We already have activities we use to center ourselves and prepare to focus, so perhaps that is why this seems less valuable to me.

We are getting rigorous exercise outside of school hours. During our short breaks we take care of tasks such as playing with the dogs, tending to laundry, etc. These provide mental and physical breaks.

I'll probably keep Swedish Drill in my toolkit of ideas to try when my dd seems to lack focus and nothing else is working, but I don't think it will be beneficial to us on a daily basis at a set time like PUS used it.

I'm looking forward to hearing the experiences of others.

I considered trying it this week, but am still thinking about it. This is probably one of the times we can make use of her recommendations without taking them literally. She was using what was then a modern form of exercise. I haven't looked into it much, but I doubt it is more beneficial than various other exercises. I think a mental and physical break from desk/book work is what's important.

On the other hand, it does seem like it might be fun, so we might give it a go. I'll keep you posted.

Anyone else giving it a try?

I've done it in the past and would like to incorporate it this year, but we aren't starting school until next week ---maybe later b/c I am getting sick. I feel horrible.

I'll probably keep Swedish Drill in my toolkit of ideas to try when my dd seems to lack focus and nothing else is working, but I don't think it will be beneficial to us on a daily basis at a set time like PUS used it.

I'm looking forward to hearing the experiences of others.

I see Swedish drill as a tool for refocusing, one of the many tools Charlotte offers us. My oldest is in both taekwondo and dance (for a grand total of 6 hours a week), and swimming added on an hour a week. However, I can see he's very energetic and in need of some more, especially as a break during school.

I see Swedish drill as a tool for refocusing, one of the many tools Charlotte offers us. My oldest is in both taekwondo and dance (for a grand total of 6 hours a week), and swimming added on an hour a week. However, I can see he's very energetic and in need of some more, especially as a break during school.

:iagree: I think this is why it might work better on an as needed basis, as opposed to having a set time during the day. Unless, of course, the child always needs to refocus at a certain time of the day.

I wonder if this would work standing in line--especially for the younger crowd. It might be enough to distract the mind and use a little energy. It also might get a few stares, but so does an upset child. At least this way the child might be happier. :)

It might not be appropriate in some places, but it's worth a try during a long day at a theme park or similar situation.

ETA: That's lots of mights! LOL

• 9 months later...