Menu

First day of school and I only threatened PS twice

LOL - we aren't starting until after labor day but I still had to threaten PS to get my daughter through violin practice today. :glare: I am absolutely dreading the start of school with my younger. She is not in a happy frame of mind lately. Can't imagine the teen years with this one.

So far, so good. Done with Bible and Algebra, halfway done with Japanese. Still to be done: literature. We are easing into the school year; the other subjects (government, history, logic) will be added next week or possibly the week after.

Wendi

We did everything planned with just one minor issue. We did more than I intended, DS and DD were ready to go. I planned to start with 4 subjects...math, Bible, reading, and grammar....we also did history and science! The only subjects we did not hit were spelling and Latin....but we did some spelling review with our McGuffey reading lesson. :)

Well, today was't even our first day, and I threatened public school. All Ds had to do was read some things for his first Latin class. I'm tired of getting talked over and answered back. And the answering back is very clever b/c it isn't exactly like you can call it back talk. It's more like Ds thinks everything I ask him to do is a discussion. I have other things to do. I cannot have a discussion about why this needs to be done when I say it needs to be done. Part of me would like to just let him do things his way and then let him experience mediocrity or maybe even failure.

I'm annoyed....can you tell?

My mom also showed up today to drop off some peaches. Great! I love peaches. What I don't love....my mom hanging out in the background distracting me half of the day while I try to get done housework, school planning, dinner, and help Dd with her article for the 4H county newsletter. UGGGH! :ack2:

I went pretty well with my K student. She was excited and ready to go. She started getting a little tired towards the end, but said it was a great first day. My 4th grader is a different story. He didn't remember a thing about math and it took forever plus he was distracted by everything and felt the need to comment on all the distractions. It wasn't terrible, but I gave up before finishing everything I had planned for him.

It was a little rougher than I had hoped, but we'll get there. We got a late start today, which kind of set the tone for the rest of the day, kwim? I felt like we were behind the whole day. But I'm going to give myself a little grace and remember that this is a process, and we have to get used to being on a school schedule again. I looked at my youngest ds once, and wondered if he might be better off in ps. But then I remembered, "Oh right, we already tried that and it was terrible!" Lol, guess I'll just add an extra dose of patience!

I spent all last year threatening public school for my son. I Was going to send him this month, even had all the registration papers. Then I went to the darn homeschooling conference and had a change of heart!:tongue_smilie:

So I'm keeping him home, and I have made a commitment not to mention PS again now that it is off the table. Happily he seems to have had an attitude adjustment, and our first week went quite well.

Ours went pretty well, with the exception of DH's tirade on the way out the door for work. It's sad when the biggest problem of the day is the ADULT. :angry:

We didn't finish until 5:30 :001_huh: but I spent a lot of time going over procedures for certain things and we took about 2.5 hrs. to go out to lunch and visit my dad. DS didn't complain about anything except having to do WWS. I had originally told him that we may drop it so when he saw it in his bin he was a little irked. Oh well. All in all a very good day.