Menu

apologia biology .....DS dont like it

This is our first year of HSing and I went with Apologia Biology because of the rave reviews. My poor DS HATES it!! read, read, read, answer 2 questions, read, read, read, again! This style of istruction is not beneficial to him. He doesnt have real good reading comprehension, and quickly looses interest. Is there anything else that is, perhaps, more visual? more interactive? more exciting? Or, do we need to just give it more time? We are only on cp 2. ;)

Or you could add the DIVE to go along with the Apologia. http://www.diveintomath.com/dive-biology-instructional-cd-rom/ That way you don't have to buy a new text. We weren't thrilled with Apologia Biology either, and this was suggested to me. I'm going to do the DIVE 8th grade science this year for ds. fwiw, you can use several different texts with the DIVE.

My son didn't like Apologia either. I think Apologia is too chatty and Wiley goes on and on. Some kids just want the information and move on. Works for a lot of students, but definitely not for everyone.

After trying Apologia and had it be a fail, I got the Biology 101 DVDs, which ds really enjoyed. After watching the series, he now loves Biology and will use Campbell and Reece's Biology as fun reading. He's using Science Shepherd as the primary course work for credit with lab. It is smoother and more to the point than Apologia.

I have looked into, and am very interested in, the Biology 101 series. What does everyone think of this?? What are the pros? cons?

My son didn't like Apologia either. I think Apologia is too chatty and Wiley goes on and on. Some kids just want the information and move on. Works for a lot of students, but definitely not for everyone.

After trying Apologia and had it be a fail, I got the Biology 101 DVDs, which ds really enjoyed. After watching the series, he now loves Biology and will use Campbell and Reece's Biology as fun reading. He's using Science Shepherd as the primary course work for credit with lab. It is smoother and more to the point than Apologia.

Edited by finlee@home

My boys love http://www.virtualhomeschoolgroup.com Biology has continuous enrollment and I believe will be accepting new students for Module 9, which begins in Oct. (only modules 5-8 have to be done in order).

Lectures cover the content in the modules, so you only have to read the book to study for tests, which are online. The lectures are interesting with a lot of visual aids and teacher and student interaction. There is also a lab day, game day, and biomystery day for most of the modules. Final exams are taken online.

bumping...hoping for input! :)

We are using it and like it so far. We've only just started, but coupled with Exploring the World of Biology and a local two day lab class (getting them all out of the way in the beginning), I think it will be perfect. We used Apologia Phys Sci last year and didn't love it. I'm very excited about this choice!

bumping...hoping for input! :)

If your DS is a visual learner, Abeka is great! DD DETESTED Apologia! :glare: When I switched her to Abeka for Physical Science---she truly loved it. My ds is just fine with Apologia----dd had started the Biology and we had to quit 1/3 through because she was pulling her hair out not understanding the concepts. DS used it last year no problem and is doing and loving Phys Sci and soon Chemistry. Apologia is NOT for every learning style---not even Dive or Bio 101 (which we used) will fix that. Your best bet is to sell your Apologia Bio book and purchase a more visual program---Abeka is good as well as Ace School of Tomorrow---and even adding in Bio 101. But Bio 101 is NOT a full Biology program no matter what their website says!!!

If your DS is a visual learner, Abeka is great! DD DETESTED Apologia! :glare: When I switched her to Abeka for Physical Science---she truly loved it. My ds is just fine with Apologia----dd had started the Biology and we had to quit 1/3 through because she was pulling her hair out not understanding the concepts. DS used it last year no problem and is doing and loving Phys Sci and soon Chemistry. Apologia is NOT for every learning style---not even Dive or Bio 101 (which we used) will fix that. Your best bet is to sell your Apologia Bio book and purchase a more visual program---Abeka is good as well as Ace School of Tomorrow---and even adding in Bio 101. But Bio 101 is NOT a full Biology program no matter what their website says!!!

:iagree:

My son watched them and really enjoyed the series. It was a little light to be considered a full course....however we didn't even look at the pdfs. I think it had tests and a schedule and supplemental ideas, but the using the videos alone would not be considered a full course.

• 2 weeks later...