Menu

Blank Poster Size US Maps?

I am trying to find reasonably priced poster sized blank US black line maps. Think I can find them anywhere? Nope!

Anyone have any suggestions? We want to create maps of our Westward Expansion study and I want the kids to include Native American tribes, forts, westward trails, Lewis and Clark's Expedition, major waterways, etc. but I don't want them to have to draw the entire US themselves...at least not for this project...Haha!

Hoping someone has a lead on where I can get something like this.

Thanks,

Cindy

When I wanted a blank poster-sized world map, I downloaded a free one from the Internet, took it to a print shop, had them print it to the right size (A1 for us) and had them laminate it. It worked out much, much cheaper than buying a similar map would have.

If you go here:

http://www.yourchildlearns.com/megamaps.htm

You can print out maps of many sizes. I printed out the 25 sheet USA map, taped it together, and traced it onto white bulletin board paper leaving off the state borders. It gave me a large, blank outline of the USa and I didn't have to deal with folding up 12 taped sheets of paper. It took a bit of work but it is exactly what I want and it was free!

Then, for my needs, I laminated it but you could just use it like it is. I can laminate for free so cost wasn't an issue.

We use our blank one for activities like you're planning. I also made one with the state borders and laminated that one. Last year in CC, the kids LOVED to shoot it with nerf guns and guess the state they hit. We played LOTS of games with it (and the kids became surprisingly good shots!)

Edited by Tammi K

Thanks all! I am really looking for the non-laminated type, a printed one so the kids can then make a permanent map to go with their study. Hubby found them at maps.com but I REFUSE to pay that kind of money for them, especially when I need five of them. Might go the cut and tape together route. Seriously, i figured this wouldn't be such a difficult thing to find!

The Owl and Mouse ones, linked above, are really easy. We have used them in many sizes over and over and they're great. I love that they have different continents too - we used a giant one for Africa as well and put animal stickers on it and labeled where all the books we read came from and labeled rivers and cities and so forth.

There's no cutting involved. You print them and the pages come out in order. You lay them down and tape them together - takes maybe five minutes. And voila. There is a TINY gap of about a millimeter at the edge of the page where, but that's really not a big deal on a big map like that and you can easily fill it in with a marker.

I have always bought mine from teacher supply stores for under $5. If they don't have them in stock, they can usually order them for me. If not, then I borrow an overhead projector or an opaque projector, project one onto a large sheet of paper or posterboard, and trace.

I have purchased the laminated map set from Geography matters. The maps are laminated, so you can use dry erase markers on them. They are very durable. We have had them for years. My son with autism loves looking at them.

You can get these at Rainbow Resource as well. We have one and it's been great.