Menu

Postponing Subjects Wisdom?

DS 14 loves music, entering 9th grade. He wants to be in 5 ensembles this school year, plus private violin (weekly) and private classical piano (monthly). This would take at least two hours a day of practice if he did the bare minimum--he really needs 3 x that but I won't let him neglect other subjects. BUT...I could take History and 1/2 English out of the curriculum and plan for him to do History and the other 1/2 English next summer in order to have those two hours a day for him to practice the ensemble music.

I wanted advice from the Hive about the wisdom of postponing History and 1/2 of English until next summer.

I wanted advice from the Hive about the wisdom of postponing History and 1/2 of English until next summer.

Because History (or Social Studies) is a subject that often has only a 2 credit requirement for high school graduation in many states (and for most colleges for admission), and due to the ease of starting/stopping as desired with History (or Social Studies), it is a subject that would be easy to postpone or spread out.

English, on the other hand, is a solid 4 credit requirement, and would be MUCH harder to make up once you get "behind". Although some people do divide their English credit directly into two halves each year (one semester = Literature and one semester = Composition/Writing), I still think postponing one of those semesters till summer would make for a LONG summer, especially if the student has to spend every day doing a load of writing. Ug.

An alternative might be to postpone Science entirely until the last 3 years of high school, since typically only 3 credits of Science are expected.

Yet another option would be to spread out a credit -- take 2 years to do a 1 credit course. Some subjects are much easier to do this with (History, Gov't, Science), while others really DO need to be done daily (Foreign Language, English, Math).

You don't list your state or if you are legally bound by your state to fulfill certain class requirements for graduation, BUT, typical college admission requirements look something like this:

4 credits = English

4 credits = Math

3 credits = Science

2 credits = Social Studies (History, Gov't, etc.)

2-3 credits = Foreign Language

1-2 credit = Fine Arts

So, provided you don't have additional state graduation requirements, or "mommy requirements" of coursework you want DS to do before graduation (i.e., Health, Driver's Ed, Personal Finance, Computer Skills, Home Ec Skills, etc.), based on what colleges want to see for admissions, the high school class load could look something like this:

9th grade

1 credit = English

1 credit = Math

1 credit = Science

3 credits = Fine Arts (Violin, Piano, Ensemble)

summer school: 0.5 credit History/Social Studies; continue music

6.5 total credits

10th grade

1 credit = English

1 credit = Math

0.5 credit = Science

1 credit = Foreign Language

7 total credits

11th grade

1 credit = English

1 credit = Math

0.5 credit = Science

1 credit = Foreign Language

7 total credits

12th grade

1 credit = English

1 credit = Math

1 credit = Science

0.5 credit History/Social Studies

6.5 total credits

Finally, one last thought -- depending on your state and how they allow dual enrollment classes from the community college (CC) to be counted, you might be able to postpone the foreign language (or a science) until 11th or 12th grade, and do 2 semesters of CC foreign language which usually equals 2 years of high school foreign language. Just be aware, that the commute to the CC and having to do the CC class homework DOES take more time away from what you can do at home...

Just some thoughts to expand your options! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.

Yes, you can do something what you have described, and we've done subjects during the summer because of music. However, this year dd decided to get up early and do two practices during the day with a third practice in the evening. The day is full, and we are motoring all.day.long, as dd puts it, but neither of us want to do full subjects during the summer again. We both need time to enjoy other interests and recharge.

If my child was that involved in music I would shift around coursework to make that happen. The level of schooling most people ask of their kids is leagues beyond public school in intensity, time required, depth of study, etc. I would look to waht the basic, non honors, non AP high school classes look like and plan my year to mimic that. No need to go above and beyond on academics, IMO, if your child is really shining in music. Make sure the academics are "good enough" and send her off to do music!

What does his music look like long term? I have found that dc's involvement in most things only increases throughout high school, so postponing would have been bad. I actually wish we had loaded more up in the beginning because of this.

I think most students can handle the four core academic subjects along with two hours of practice per day. Personally, that would be my starting point.

What does his music look like long term? I have found that dc's involvement in most things only increases throughout high school, so postponing would have been bad. I actually wish we had loaded more up in the beginning because of this.

I think most students can handle the four core academic subjects along with two hours of practice per day. Personally, that would be my starting point.

I'm especially picky on language arts and math because they are so foundational to everything else. Priorities vary, but IMHO you can lighten up on history and science labs for some high school students as long as everything else is rigorous. Note that I didn't say drop, I mean that you can safely streamline history and science labs in a thoughtful manner.

I've also found that as mine get older, having some level of summer break for extra activities, socializing, work, etc. becomes more important for being well-rounded and happy. I used to be a year-round homeschooler, but we've backed off as they've become teens and need the break more.

DS 14 loves music, entering 9th grade. He wants to be in 5 ensembles this school year, plus private violin (weekly) and private classical piano (monthly).

Hmm... Five ensembles? I'm sure there are sports-loving boys who would like to be on five basketball teams, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea to try.

I would check that it would even be physically possible to participate in that many groups come recital season. Are you sure performances and other obligations will not overlap? Next, look at the value of each ensemble -- is it music education? socializing with other musicians? performance opportunities? Prioritize and pick-and-choose what makes sense.

I think it would be better to join the number of ensembles where he could perform well, as a fully-committed participant, rather than go for five ensembles but only have time to do the minimum amount of practicing and preparation.

--Janet

If he's only doing the bare minimum of practice, he won't be contributing to the ensembles as he should. It's not worth the damage it may do to his reputation as a musician. Why set him up for mediocre performance? I think you should limit him to 2, 3 at the most, so he can do his best there and also focus on schoolwork.

DS 14 loves music, entering 9th grade. He wants to be in 5 ensembles this school year, plus private violin (weekly) and private classical piano (monthly). This would take at least two hours a day of practice if he did the bare minimum--he really needs 3 x that but I won't let him neglect other subjects. BUT...I could take History and 1/2 English out of the curriculum and plan for him to do History and the other 1/2 English next summer in order to have those two hours a day for him to practice the ensemble music.

5 ensembles does seem like a lot to keep track of, even before adding in schoolwork. I thought the sports analogy was apt. How much was he doing last year; iow, how much of an increase is this?

Don't forget that each of these ensembles will have different pieces of music to master, different rehearsal schedules, and travel to and from the ensembles.

You may be able to be disciplined and get some reading or lectures in during travel time. On the other hand, I've found with sports that after practice is a time for mental and physical recovery. It can be nice chatting time, but not that effective for study.

Have you laid out what a sample week would look like with the music and the schoolwork (even just the pared down schedule)? I'm finding, for example, that we no longer have a day in the week that is open for fun field trips. And that once a week, I have to get from one side of town with swimming to the other side of town for cross country for two kids in the middle of morning rush hour. I'm still not entirely sure how that will work.

What are your summers normally like? If he's making up school time, does that require that he turn down summer music camps or other summer activities?

Thank you, everyone, for the good suggestions.

We will postpone the writing part of

English. DC will do the reading part of

English this school year and write next summer possibly.

We will completely postpone History

except for a few good movies and documentaries.

He will definitely take private classical violin and classical piano; also one small ensemble. We might let him take one more thing, either a second ensemble or a third commitment of private classes. So instead of taking 2 private classes and 5 ensembles, which would have been 7 musical commitments, he will be taking 2-3 private classes and 1-2 ensembles for a maximum of 4 musical commitments.

Postponing the 1/2 English and the History will help him focus on the "pared down" musical work for this year. He will have more hours a week to devote to each thing, so hopefully it will be better in the end than spreading himself thin.

I also found out that at least one university only requires 3 years of History (as opposed to 4 years of English, Math, and Science), so

we could potentially not do any History at all for 9th grade and not worry about it (although I do just in terms of education).

Anyway, all the suggestions and opinions were very useful--thank you!