Menu

Child to Memorize one chapter of the Bible: Which one?

warriormom

Only one? :svengo:

Psalm 23 -- The LORD is my Shepherd...

Psalm 1 -- Blessed is the man...

Psalm 8 -- O LORD, our Lord, how excellent...

Psalm 24 -- The earth is the LORD's...

Psalm 46 -- God is our refuge and strength...

Psalm 121 -- I will lift up my eyes...

Psalm 91 -- He that dwells in the secret place...

Matthew 5 through 7 -- Blessed are the poor in spirit...

John 1:1-18 -- In the beginning was the Word...

Romans 8 -- Therefore, there is now no condemnation...

1 Corinthians 13 -- Love is patient, love is kind...

Ephesians 6:10-18 -- Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power...

Hebrews 11 -- Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see....

Revelation 4 through 5 -- After this I looked, and there before me was a door standing open in heaven....

Galatians -- the whole book

Philippians -- the whole book

James -- the whole book

1 John -- the whole book

AMEN!

It's amazing to realize how much one can memorize when they are young, and I agree that memorizing big 'chunks' of Scripture is a great idea. I am older now and my memory is still pretty good for what I remembered 'back then', but I have a much harder time memorizing new things now. I agree with having a habit for always thinking, "What chapter shall I memorize next?"

Psalm 119 is long, but I loved memorizing this one because it is full of reasons/benefits for hiding God's Word in your heart, and it is a chapter when the psalmist is talking directly to God... so it becomes like a meditative prayer.

Isaiah 40 is good, too. You'll laugh, but when I was in college I even had the idea to memorize entire books of Scripture. I started with Isa. chapter 1 and got all the way to ch. 9 before I decided to skip right to Isa. 40 which is the chapter I especially wanted! :lol:

MFW has students in Exp. to 1850 memorize either portions or the entire book of James (you choose the track).

I memorized a lot when I was young, and I am now continually blessed by it. I am excited for my dc learning the book of James this year, and I am going to try to do it, too, even though I know it'll be a lot harder for me this time around. :tongue_smilie:

Blessings,

Brenda

John 1 is a commonly memorized chapter.

King James Version: John Chapter 1

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

2 The same was in the beginning with God.

3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.

5 And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.

6 There was a man sent from God, whose name was John.

7 The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe.

8 He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light.

9 That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world.

10 He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.

11 He came unto his own, and his own received him not.

12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

15 John bare witness of him, and cried, saying, This was he of whom I spake, He that cometh after me is preferred before me: for he was before me.

16 And of his fulness have all we received, and grace for grace.

John 1 is a commonly memorized chapter.

King James Version: John Chapter 1

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

2 The same was in the beginning with God.

3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.

5 And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.

6 There was a man sent from God, whose name was John.

7 The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe.

8 He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light.

9 That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world.

10 He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.

11 He came unto his own, and his own received him not.

12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

15 John bare witness of him, and cried, saying, This was he of whom I spake, He that cometh after me is preferred before me: for he was before me.

16 And of his fulness have all we received, and grace for grace.

that seems like a great one! Thanks!

Starting in the Fall, I will have DS8 work on memorizing Proverbs 4. He can be very stubborn and is extremely independent, so he likes to do things HIS way, as opposed to obeying Mommy and Daddy. We are CONSTANTLY having to explain to him that we tell him things and enforce rules FOR A REASON and that we are trying to set him up for success, so he REALLY needs to listen to what we tell him and the things we teach him, especially from the Bible.

So I think Proverbs 4 would be a great one for him to memorize. And some point, I want him to memorize 1 Corinthians 13.

Proverbs 4

I think kids can memorize much more quickly than most people think. We do a Bible verse and a poem or a long bit of Bible text each week.

ETA: In case anyone is curious as to how we do that, we read aloud what we're trying to memorize three times in a row each weekday morning. We use this system for upkeep. (I put the names of the poems or long Bible passages on cards that go in that file. The full poems or passages are in a binder for reference.) We do not read the upkeep items aloud three times; we only read them once.

Edited by Parker Martin

Only one? :svengo:

:iagree::lol:

My kids memorized Psalm 23 when they were 4 (the 3-4 year old class at church does it). I can't imagine only doing ONE chapter in the child's entire time at home. They are way more capable than that! :D

I also agree that James would be excellent to memorize. It's the "Proverbs" of the New Testament and has a lot of great stuff in it.

My children haven't memorized anything from the Bible yet. Ds8 was busy memorizing poems and a few rules in grammar and science.

I'm going to have ds9 memorize a few passages this coming year. Thanks for the list, Sahamamama - I wouldn't have known where to start.