Menu

Would you, could you bowdlerize?

A high school student has requested that I preread certain novels and obliterate objectionable material--mainly extreme profanity, graphic gore or TMI intimate encounters--with a black marker. I don't have time to do much of that. Time constraints aside, would something be really wrong with pre-redacting portions of literature? The student could skip the works altogether in most cases but would like to read the books, just finds some things disturbing.

Lee in New England

I would not have a high school student read materials with extremely disturbing content - very graphic violence or sex, but I have only rarely encountered any books that I would eliminate for this reason.

I would, however, also expect a high school age students to deal with occasional language, violence, sex in quality literature. he does not have to be comfortable with everything - in fact, I find it important that kids find out what exactly they are uncomfortable with, and then they will skip the passage, or skim a few pages. I do not consider it harmful if a student encounters uncomfortable content in an otherwise high quality book (I am not talking about reading p*rnographic trash)

I do not, nor will I ever, edit books with a black marker. I consider this wrong on principle - and an unreasonable request on part of the student.

Edited by regentrude

A high school student has requested that I preread certain novels and obliterate objectionable material--mainly extreme profanity, graphic gore or TMI intimate encounters--with a black marker. I don't have time to do much of that. Time constraints aside, would something be really wrong with pre-redacting portions of literature? The student could skip the works altogether in most cases but would like to read the books, just finds some things disturbing.

Lee in New England

I would encourage the student to skim and skip the parts that are a problem. I have always done this for myself - as a child, I read things way out of my age-appropriate category (I mean literature), and I learned to do this so I would not feel that I was reading something I shouldn't. I still do it, as I do not enjoy reading vulgar language or graphic descriptions of sex or violence. Skim and skip.

I would not do that. I would suggest books with milder content, instead, or recommend an abridged version for younger children if one exists.

I agree about just suggesting other books.

As a would-be writer, myself, I have tremendous respect for the choices an artist of any kind makes in creating a work. I don't think it's acceptable to slice and dice someone else's art to fit our personal ideas of morality. If a student is not mature enough to handle reading a book -- the whole book -- then I think the appropriate approach is to read something else.

I'm not a fan of abridgments or adaptations for young readers, either, by the way. My feeling is that there is lots of great literature for all stages of a student's life. There's no need to reach up and then dumb down.

I'll be contrary and say, yes if I had the time I might consider it.

In your case, I'd be honest and tell them you don't have the time.

Let's face it there are tons of abridgments out there already, done for all sorts of reasons.

I can accept that there are some folks who might have ethical or religious objections to reading some things regardless of their maturity. Helping them would be okay in my book IF I was already okay or had read those materials in the past (you get into some ethical areas of concern about asking someone to do something you won't do if it would be unethical for them, too).

That said, in my readings most works of true literary value don't have graphic anything in them the way more modern and less worthwhile books do so you'd want to get detailed on what exactly crosses the line.

Profanity, sexualized reading material (obviously acc to the reader/author opinions of same), and vulgar speech are character weaknesses imho - and against the teaching of God in the Bible.. (Every person obviously needs to independently determine what the standard is for good literature - I'm not speaking for anyone else.) Garbage in-garbage out.

However, I would never have the time nor inclination to preread and cross-out objectionable material. Plus, I believe the first three types of reading selections I mentioned are inappropriate for me, let alone the student.

I have forgone many current movies and books because I believe their overall value is nixed by the other content. OTOH, there are so many incredible books that don't cross lines into what i consider objectionable. The selection is so vast, I would suggest other reading options.

There are so many Scriptures about being wary of evil, fleeing temptation and the standing apart from the world controlled by satan, that I want to be careful "little eyes what you see; little ears what you hear."

Lisaj,

Sure, I would do that as a favor to someone, if it was their own copy of the book, and if I had the time. People have different areas of temptation, and perhaps sexually charged passages in books have been a stumbling block for them in the past.

I also tell my kids to close their eyes while I fast forward if any near nudity/sex screen pops on screen during movies. I don't care what the "author" intended, it's not something that they need to have etched in their brain.

For some people, book passages can be just as damaging.

To suggest that it is somehow "wrong" to do that seems silly.

Edited by lcelmer

No. I think my position would be that if they feel they need someone else to edit content for them then they aren't mature enough for that book.

I'm also uncomfortable with the attitude that others should ensure a person not encounter anything objectionable.

:iagree: If you want to read the book, read the words the author put on the page, they're there for a reason.

Life is messy and not always suited to our tastes, books are a glimpse into life.

There are plenty of other titles to read if you find one objectionable. If a high school student is uncomfortable reading an assigned book, they should take it up with the teacher or ask for alternative book.

Profanity, sexualized reading material (obviously acc to the reader/author opinions of same), and vulgar speech are character weaknesses imho - and against the teaching of God in the Bible.. (Every person obviously needs to independently determine what the standard is for good literature - I'm not speaking for anyone else.) Garbage in-garbage out.

However, I would never have the time nor inclination to preread and cross-out objectionable material. Plus, I believe the first three types of reading selections I mentioned are inappropriate for me, let alone the student.

I have forgone many current movies and books because I believe their overall value is nixed by the other content. OTOH, there are so many incredible books that don't cross lines into what i consider objectionable. The selection is so vast, I would suggest other reading options.

There are so many Scriptures about being wary of evil, fleeing temptation and the standing apart from the world controlled by satan, that I want to be careful "little eyes what you see; little ears what you hear."

LisajThe ,

The Bible contains profanity, sexualized material and vulgar language, just like many great works of literature.

That sort of brings up another point though. If the book isn't a good piece of literature, why waste the time to read and black out content. If it is good literature then perhaps some of the objectionable content is key to the work and by blacking it out you're changing the work and what the author has to say.

I would not have a high school student read materials with extremely disturbing content - very graphic violence or sex, but I have only rarely encountered any books that I would eliminate for this reason.

I would, however, also expect a high school age students to deal with occasional language, violence, sex in quality literature. he does not have to be comfortable with everything - in fact, I find it important that kids find out what exactly they are uncomfortable with, and then they will skip the passage, or skim a few pages. I do not consider it harmful if a student encounters uncomfortable content in an otherwise high quality book (I am not talking about reading p*rnographic trash)

I do not, nor will I ever, edit books with a black marker. I consider this wrong on principle - and an unreasonable request on part of the student.

We're about to face this with Gilgamesh. My 14yo will read it, Shamhat/Enkidu sex scenes and all. I don't think one could understand either Enkidu's civilising or an ancient Sumrian view of sex and relationships without them. I also expect it will open the door for talking about sex, something I think is pretty important.

Now if she want to read something like Clan of the Cave Bear, I'd warn her about the sex scenes and tell her to hold off for a few years.

This is what I would do.

Edited heavily enough, a book has no literary value anyway because the plot and character development cannot be followed. So, if the content is that upsetting, it would be much better to pick something else.

Faith

:iagree: If you want to read the book, read the words the author put on the page, they're there for a reason.

Life is messy and not always suited to our tastes, books are a glimpse into life.

There are plenty of other titles to read if you find one objectionable. If a high school student is uncomfortable reading an assigned book, they should take it up with the teacher or ask for alternative book.

The reason is often titillation or just to drag someone else down into their gutter....

I don't avoid "messy" lives but I sure try to avoid wallowing in trash whenever possible.