Menu

3 year olds and read alouds

My oldest would sit for read alouds ever since she was really little. My middle daughter-- not so much. It really depends on the child. I wouldn't sweat it at this point. I just try to pick books with subject matters that will appeal to her and keep it short for now.

Yup, normal. ;)

I don't ask my 3yo to sit still or pay attention during read alouds, but she is required to play quietly and not distract the big kids.

Come to think of it, I don't ask my big kids to sit still either. We are always making clay models, coloring, digging in the yard, etc. during our read aloud time.

3yo gets to pick her own picture book that I will read after the big kids book so she doesn't feel left out.

NONE of my kids have sat through long chapter book type read-alouds at age 3... or even 4. I think 5-6 was when they were able to start that.

My 3 year old sits for picture books at his level, but that's it. I let him wander when I'm doing a chapter book read-aloud.

Yup, normal. ;)

I don't ask my 3yo to sit still or pay attention during read alouds, but she is required to play quietly and not distract the big kids.

Come to think of it, I don't ask my big kids to sit still either. We are always making clay models, coloring, digging in the yard, etc. during our read aloud time.

3yo gets to pick her own picture book that I will read after the big kids book so she doesn't feel left out.

:iagree:

Read alouds for my ODD have never been about sitting still - if there are plenty of pictures she may sit around, chapter books she generally jumps around but I know she is still concentrating as she often asks questions about the stories. We did a few chapter books and longer picture books with her when she three but she was usually busy with something else while I was reading.

DD started listening to chapter books at 4.5, but I didn't try much sooner. DS5 would occasionally listen to chapter books before he turned 5, but didn't reliably have the attention span for it before he turned five.

Now that I have two DC with a good attention span for chapter books, I am trying some chapter book read alouds during the day (previously I almost always read chapter books at bedtime to DD when DH was dealing with the boys or they were in bed). DS3 more often than not runs off to play when I start reading or looks at his own books. He is listening sometimes though -- just yesterday even though he appeared to be doing something else nearby, DS3 made a pretty insightful comment on the story I was reading.

When it comes to picture books that DS5 and DS3 pick out themselves, they can have a long attention span for multiple books in a row...but the fact that they picked the books out and they have pictures makes a huge difference.

My three year old will sparodically listen in on read-alouds, even though for me read alouds are still basic picture books for k'er. When we do his BFIAR book, he becomes very focused and content to listen to the story. Maybe because he knows we'll be spending 4-6 days on it. Funny, when I first heard about BFIAR / FIAR, I thought, really, read a book 5 days in a row. That's got to be incredibly boring. Now I'm convinced. By the time the book retired and we're ready to move on to a new one, he knows so many details of the book we've read. We just finished Blueberries for Sal, and he loved it! Another favorite of his was Jenny's Surprise Summer. Anyhow, if I were you, which I'm not, so I guess that doesn't much matter, but....I wouldn't worry about him zoning out during read alouds and if I had time, possibly think of doing BFIAR. For us, it takes about 15 minutes and I was able to find all the books through the interlibrary loan system.

Well my problem is my dc's (2 1/2) little mouth. I don't expect him to sit for a book but I just wish he was quiet. He is just always talking or making noise. :lol: he doesn't understand what I mean by quiet. Sometimes he puts his little finger up to his mouth and says "shhhhhhh", while he continues to yabber on.

Sandy

Edited by thundersweet

NONE of my kids have sat through long chapter book type read-alouds at age 3... or even 4. I think 5-6 was when they were able to start that.

My 3 year old sits for picture books at his level, but that's it. I let him wander when I'm doing a chapter book read-aloud.

My DD has been listening to chapter books for about a year but I still have to be careful what I choose.

My DS (almost 5) is just starting to be interested in sitting for them.

My just turned 3 year old -not a hope :lol: He will read picture books forever with me if it contains something that interests him otherwise he wanders off. The only chapter books he has shown interest in so far are the Boxcar children -he asks to read those :001_huh:

But otherwise -your 3yo sounds normal :D

I think it's normal. Mine will sit still and listen... but books are just his thing. Ask him to pay attention to anything else for more than 30 seconds and it doesn't go well. So while he'll sit still and listen to chapter books, he won't do crafts, games, or much else for long stretches.

He has a cousin who won't... but started to with super short books about trains.

He has another friend who refuses to be read to at all. I think they're all just different.

My dd has a freakish attention span for her age, but even she wouldn't sit still for chapter books until she hit four. Picture books we could do at three, but when we tried Charlotte's Web at three and a half, pretty much a total fail. This year though, she's loving the chapter books.

Depends on the kid and the day. My current almost-4yo will sit through some readalouds, but it depends on the day. He's actually better at sitting through them at night when he's getting tired than he is during the day when he has plenty of energy. My deal is that he is welcome to listen if he wants, and he (and the older children) may play quietly or draw or color or the like, but he's never required to listen, and if he makes too much noise, I will make him leave the room. I think it helps him to know that he doesn't have to stay if he doesn't want to, but it's a privilege to be allowed to stay.

He also sometimes sits next to me and looks at a picture book while I read out loud to the older children. We do a lot of audio books in the car, and he is generally very quiet for those, often with a small toy in his hand, so maybe that's a good way to train your 3yo to listen. I also find that it helps if I read him a book or two beforehand, or otherwise give him some good attention first, or I promise (and then follow up) some time for him afterward if he's polite.

My three year old LOVES to be read to. I honestly think he would sit all day and let me read to him. He is constantly bringing me books to read to him and spends a good majority of the day laying on the couch in the reading nook looking at books. His favorite two places are the library and the book store.

Yup, normal. ;)

We also use coloring, gardening and home made playdough during reading time. They may look preoccupied, but they are picking up so much. Just read with emotion and voice. Ask a question from time to time to encourage 'digestion'; not a quiz style question, but an open ended and fun one.