Menu

Inspiring children to self-discipline (x-post with Gen. board)

What books & movies have been inspirational to your teens in respect to self-discipline? I have two teen boys who are like chalk and cheese in this matter. My 13-year old is quite capable when he wants to. I'm turning into the proverbial broken record and I'd like to show him some examples (good or bad) to illustrate what can be achieved when you motivate yourself.

No books or movie recs but the one thing my 18 year old says motivates him most has been to see his dad work hard every morning of his life. To get up regardless of what was going on, begin his day in the word of God and begin to serve all of us either by working at a job, working at home, or working for our church.

I'm not sure movies are that strong of a motivator, kwim?

I am really just bumping this thread because motivation is something I keenly lack. I'm always curious how to go about building it in our children.

I think part of the problem is that we are all different and our children kind of have to figure out what works for them. I need a deadline and a goal. I also tend to procrastinate...until I get started and then it's as if I realize it wasn't as bad as I expected, I get excited, and I become fixed on success. I know that about myself and it helps. I also have accepted the fact that I won't clean the house properly until there's the threat of people coming over...I need a deadline!

DH seems to be able to do anything just because it should be done...boring, dull, tedious yard work, cleaning, whatever. He doesn't need as much to be content :) I think he just finds a way to enjoy this time though...he listens to music while he works for example. He does love competition though.

So part of it is figuring out where your sticking spot is and doing something about it.

Brownie

The biggest motivator for my teens is being allowed to participate in their favorite activities. If they don't do what they should, they lose the privilege.

Movies they have liked:

October Sky (boys build rockets in response to Sputnik - true story)

Stand and Deliver (math teacher inspiring students to AP exam - also true)

Akeela and the Bee (fictional National Spelling Bee participant)

Soul Surfer (surfer girl makes comeback after losing arm in shark attack - true)

No books or movie recs but the one thing my 18 year old says motivates him most has been to see his dad work hard every morning of his life. To get up regardless of what was going on, begin his day in the word of God and begin to serve all of us either by working at a job, working at home, or working for our church.

I'm not sure movies are that strong of a motivator, kwim?

:iagree:

Apolo Ohno's "Zero Regrets: Be Greater Than Yesterday"

Originally, I bought the book, because my speedskating ds wanted to read it after some of the other kids on his team talked about it. I preread it, and decided that I wanted my teens to read the book also. It's pretty amazing and inspiring.

"Zero regrets. It’s a philosophy not just about sport but about life. School, business, academics, love—anything and everything. It’s complicated and yet not. You have to figure out who it is you want to be. Not what you want to be—who. There has to be a vision, a dream, a plan. Then you chase that with everything you’ve got.”

The biggest motivator for my teens is being allowed to participate in their favorite activities. If they don't do what they should, they lose the privilege.

Having to get a lot done in a little time in order to pursue outside activities is definitely what keeps my teens motivated. Their outside activities are hugely important to them.

My kids have noticed a lot of their peers just drifting after high school, and that has helped them understand why dh and I are such fans of academics and EC activities! At a church high school graduate recognition service we attended, only two of eight were heading to a 4-year college. One had specific strong CC plans, but the other FIVE were planning on finding part-time work and waiting for inspiration to strike. The cool mellow 14yo turns into an 18yo with no plans who mows lawns part-time. The passionately anti-school jock turns into a server at Starbucks. Wow.....

We've had motivation issues with our 15-year-old for much of his life. Recently he's been involved in some great service projects with our church youth group and I'm seeing some changes in his maturity and motivation. There are some older high school and college-age boys who are just terrific role models.

We thought his involvement with Boy Scouts would be good in this way for him, but while he enjoys it, it hasn't provided motivation the way this particular youth group has. It was just the right key for him.

But I'm not answering the original question. I haven't found any particular books or movies that lit any fires for my kids. People have a greater impact.

Edited by marbel

Thanks for the suggestions; we already do the "no fun activities till work is finished" routine and he is surrounded by hard workers in his family. I guess I'm trying to move him into a mind set where he can see that the self-starters (and self-motivators, if there is such a word) are the ones who reap the benefits.

Marbel, I like the idea of youth service projects. I've seen this have a good impact on teens when I was growing up.