Menu

For those who have had wisdom teeth removed in adulthood...

I had two sets of wisdom teeth so eight in all. They were all removed at the same time and it was horrible. I took codiene for days and just wanted to cry. I lost like 7 pounds though so that may have worked out! It is possible it was worse since I had two sets and the fact I had to go to work that night.

I didn't get to rest or take any days off and still had to come home and take care of babies.

I had it done today and it was awful. What a barbaric, horrible procedure. I can't believe this is so commonplace. What the hell??? I never want to go to the dentist and DEFINITELY not the oral surgeon ever again. Why don't they just rip my finger and toe bones off while they're at it? :glare: What a freaking nightmare.

Thankfully recovery has been easy so far and I've been managing on just ibuprofen and Tylenol at home. Please don't tell me the recovery gets worse, I would like to just live in blissful ignorance for awhile.

Please tell me what it was like (I'm not going under, just using local) and what the recovery was like. I asked on facebook and a couple people said the recovery was awful, one said she couldn't even open her mouth for WEEKS, and another said it was fine and she could eat normal the next day.

What was the procedure like? Could you open your mouth afterward? Was the pain so bad at any point it made you want to cry?

I went under...and I am glad I did, because mine were impacted...all of them. Since mine were impacted this will make a difference in our experiences as well. I had mine done two at a time.

Both times I swelled up....I looked like I had a tumor in my jaw. The first day I was in pain that was controlled decently with percocet, though I had to constantly change the gauze in the extraction areas for a few hours. I had to use ice packs or frozen veggies frequently. The following days the pain was dealable. I had them done on my days off and I went to work as normal.

The second time for the other two was worse....I didn't swell quite as badly (still had the tumor look) but my face was bruised! I looked like I had been in a fight! I needed many ice packs and percocets for the first night....that was honestly awful. Both times it took a week for the swelling to go down.

It wasn't so bad until I got a dry socket. That was awful! FYI, if you get one, you can get a toothache kit at walgreens that comes with clove oil. It was a lifesaver. Also, make sure you get back to the Dr. so they can pack it. I hope you don't get one, but it's good to be prepared just in case you do.

I had it done today and it was awful. What a barbaric, horrible procedure. I can't believe this is so commonplace. What the hell??? I never want to go to the dentist and DEFINITELY not the oral surgeon ever again. Why don't they just rip my finger and toe bones off while they're at it? :glare: What a freaking nightmare.

Thankfully recovery has been easy so far and I've been managing on just ibuprofen and Tylenol at home. Please don't tell me the recovery gets worse, I would like to just live in blissful ignorance for awhile.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: