Menu

too early to potty train

My mom and sis are convinced that just because my youngest ds is almost 2 (August 17th), he should be potty training.

He is only just learning to take instruction and my dh and I don't think he's ready. Our oldest potty trained at about 18 months but ds9 didn't train until he was 3.

Do you think age should be the sole factor in potty training or should other factors play a part?

My mom and sis are convinced that just because my youngest ds is almost 2 (August 17th), he should be potty training.

He is only just learning to take instruction and my dh and I don't think he's ready. Our oldest potty trained at about 18 months but ds9 didn't train until he was 3.

Do you think age should be the sole factor in potty training or should other factors play a part?

IMO, age shouldn't really be a factor at all. Some kids are ready very early, like 12 months. Some kids take until 3-4. Most are somewhere between. I think I read a while back that 2.5 was average.

Here is what I do know to be factually certain: no college or job application in the country asks for the age at which you were potty trained.

Tell your Mom and Sis to get a life. I mean, honestly. How bored are some people that they give a flying leap when someone's kid is potty trained? Are they washing the diapers?

Absolutely not. Both of my boys "got it" at 2.5yo. One lacked the vocabulary before then, the other lacked the physical ability to hold it before then. I had dreams of being done with diapers by 18m when I was pregnant with my first and reading "expert" advice. The reality is that just like with any other skill, children are ready at different times.

How bored are some people that they give a flying leap when someone's kid is potty trained? Are they washing the diapers?

:iagree:

You as the mom are the most qualified to decide this. Especially since you've had both an early and not-so-early trainer.

I totally understand. My son potty trained easily by 2 years old. My dd is just starting now, at almost 2.5 and she is not really getting it. She was NOT ready at the same age he was. She couldn't understand it. She couldn't even get on and off the potty really (she would stand in it, over it, etc).

You know your child best.

When they are showing readiness signs, I make a potty available and offer it a few times a day. SOmetimes they are ready, sometimes they aren't. My two sons PT'd right after their 2nd bday. DD was closer to 2.5 (so much for girls being "easier." SHe just didn't care and it would have been a battle of the wills).

With my DS1, I brought home a potty thinking I'd just make it available, and he immediately started using it for every pee.

My DS2 had it click just after his 2nd bday. He would use it when I offered, so we did about 3 days of naked training. If he didn't have his clothes to deal with, he had an easy time using the potty. That was pretty much it for him.

It definitely depends on the kid and the parent!