Menu

CPAP (again!)

I am finished with a little over 2 weeks with my new machine. I love it, I hate it.

When I can actually sleep with the darn thing I get good sleep.

Problem is, I am a tummy and side sleeper and that thing doesn't afford me the luxury of sleeping that way. I twist it off my face/nose. So, I keep trying to sleep on my back. I can't do it!

I am getting between 4-6 hours per night with it before I rip it off, usually in my sleep, and wake up without it on.

Any ideas?

Dawn

What mask do you have? I can side sleep on the edge of my pillow with a full face mask and it's fine.

It does take some time to get use to it. While on your side, try adjusting your straps a bit. Make sure your hose is running above your head.

You could make it very uncomfortable to sleep any way but your back; make a little belt with tennis balls on all sides except your back.

Look into a CPAP pillow.

I have the nose pillows. I really want them to work. I have a small face and the nose only mask doesn't fit at all. It just doesn't.....it leaks. The tech explained to me why but it has to do with the shape of my face.

I do not want a full face mask! I am fighting it with every fiber of my being!

I got a CPAP pillow. I may have to try another....I hate spending money on another one.

I am 100 percent a tummy sleeper, so I understand.

My mask is over my nose only, and it has to have a very small bar above the nose so that the pillow doesn't knock it out of place. There is a swivel feature built in so you can put the hose over your head.

This one is mine. http://www.cpap.com/productpage/profile-lite-gel-mask-respironics.html

This one is similiar but the notice the bar on the forehead is much bigger.

http://www.cpap.com/productpage/comfortgel-mask-phillips-respironics.html

I adjust the straps pretty tight so it doesn't move.

Then I scrunch up my pillow under my head so the mask can lay off the ege. Hope this all makes sense!

Call your medical supply store and tell them your mask is not working for you. Be sure they know you are a side/tummy sleeper. There are so many more! Check out CPAP.com and get familiar with different types of masks before you go in so you know what the options are.

I also bought ( and then made extra) covers for the strap to help reduce the lines on my face because I wear the straps so tight.

THey are the Pad Cheek brand and available direct from the seller or on CPAP.com.

http://www.cpap.com/productpage/pad-a-cheek-cpap-mask-cover.html

I have the nose pillows. I really want them to work. I have a small face and the nose only mask doesn't fit at all. It just doesn't.....it leaks. The tech explained to me why but it has to do with the shape of my face.

I don't have a small head, but I have a small nose area. I wear a petite size mask in the one that I linked. Initially I was using a child's size. It only covers my nose. The mask is a newish model of the same mask I have been wearing for 17 years now. It was all that was available back then. I have tried others over the years, but I always go back to this one.

That is the one I tried in the sleep study.

I may have to get something like that. I am trying so hard not to get that much stuff on each night.

This is what I have currently:

http://www.resmed.com/us/products/swift_fx_bella_loops/swift-fx-bella-loops.html?nc=clinicians

It is very comfortable, I just can't seem to find a way to sleep on my side without it twisting/slipping.

Dawn

I am 100 percent a tummy sleeper, so I understand.

My mask is over my nose only, and it has to have a very small bar above the nose so that the pillow doesn't knock it out of place. There is a swivel feature built in so you can put the hose over your head.

This one is mine. http://www.cpap.com/productpage/profile-lite-gel-mask-respironics.html

This one is similiar but the notice the bar on the forehead is much bigger.

http://www.cpap.com/productpage/comfortgel-mask-phillips-respironics.html

I adjust the straps pretty tight so it doesn't move.

Then I scrunch up my pillow under my head so the mask can lay off the ege. Hope this all makes sense!

Call your medical supply store and tell them your mask is not working for you. Be sure they know you are a side/tummy sleeper. There are so many more! Check out CPAP.com and get familiar with different types of masks before you go in so you know what the options are.

I also bought ( and then made extra) covers for the strap to help reduce the lines on my face because I wear the straps so tight.

THey are the Pad Cheek brand and available direct from the seller or on CPAP.com.

http://www.cpap.com/productpage/pad-a-cheek-cpap-mask-cover.html

I am finally getting the hang of it I think! I just had my 3rd night in a row of sleeping for over 7 hours with the CPAP.

I just finally decided I HAD to learn to sleep with it on my side or I would never be able to use it.

I am still getting up several times per night and hoping that I can alleviate that as well because interrupted sleep means I am not rested.

Dawn

I have a friend who uses one. She said it cost her much more as it isn't covered by insurance like the CPAP is.

She also said her jaw hurts most mornings.

The over the counter ones are strongly NOT recommended as the dentist forms one for your mouth and needs.

Along the lines of the CPAP, has anyone here tried the dental face guard that you can use in place of the machine?

I have a friend who uses one. She said it cost her much more as it isn't covered by insurance like the CPAP is.

She also said her jaw hurts most mornings.

The over the counter ones are strongly NOT recommended as the dentist forms one for your mouth and needs.

Thank you. I just had a fitting for one at the dentist and it was covered but I read that it doesn't work if you are a side sleeper, which I am. Just confused now. I tried the CPAP mask and I was nauseous and bloated all the time. I don't think I am going to like this either but I have to have something that works. :confused:

Bloated? Really? I haven't noticed that.

I was actually surprised that I adapted to the breathing part so quickly. That wasn't an issue at all, but my apnea isn't really bad, it is somewhat mild compared to many.

Dawn

Thank you. I just had a fitting for one at the dentist and it was covered but I read that it doesn't work if you are a side sleeper, which I am. Just confused now. I tried the CPAP mask and I was nauseous and bloated all the time. I don't think I am going to like this either but I have to have something that works. :confused:

Bloated? Really? I haven't noticed that.

I was actually surprised that I adapted to the breathing part so quickly. That wasn't an issue at all, but my apnea isn't really bad, it is somewhat mild compared to many.

Dawn

This has been so frustrating for me. Sorry to hijack but it's nice to know from others what has worked for them and what hasn't worked. I am a mouth breather (now but not sure why) I tried both the full face mask and the nose mask and they both made me sick. Tons of gas (sorry TMI), bloated and nauseous with both. I have about 20 episodes per hour lasting 50-60 seconds each time. I am getting no relief and this has been going on this whole year with the diagnoses actually happening back in March.

This has been so frustrating for me. Sorry to hijack but it's nice to know from others what has worked for them and what hasn't worked. I am a mouth breather (now but not sure why) I tried both the full face mask and the nose mask and they both made me sick. Tons of gas (sorry TMI), bloated and nauseous with both. I have about 20 episodes per hour lasting 50-60 seconds each time. I am getting no relief and this has been going on this whole year with the diagnoses actually happening back in March.

Are you sleeping on your side? When I sleep on my side my stomach fills with air. I'm fine as long as I'm on my back. Unfortunately, I sometimes roll to my side w/out realizing it.

It's interesting because both my DH and I wear CPAPs and we both use nose-only masks. I never have a problem with swallowing air, but DH does and he will often be bloated and belchy. His machine is on a much higher setting than mine is, so that might be one part of it. I'm wondering if a BiPAP works better than a CPAP for people with this problem. I'm going to have him ask the sleep technician about it.

What is the exact name of your mask? It might be the wrong size. I use the Swift FX for Her and it's smaller and works great for side sleepers. I also got a special pillow that makes side sleeping easier. I found out that I need the XS pillows for my mask even though they started me with bigger. So it takes some trial and error to find the best mask.

http://www.thecpapshop.com/resmed-swift-fx-for-her

I also use a papcap to help keep my mouth shut and hold my mask better.

Make sure to check out cpaptalk.com, they can also help you find tips and tricks for the issues you are having.

That is the one I tried in the sleep study.

I may have to get something like that. I am trying so hard not to get that much stuff on each night.

This is what I have currently:

http://www.resmed.com/us/products/swift_fx_bella_loops/swift-fx-bella-loops.html?nc=clinicians

It is very comfortable, I just can't seem to find a way to sleep on my side without it twisting/slipping.

Dawn

For the bella, you might try getting the regular old swift FX headgear which also fits those pillows and it might work better for you. The general consensus for the bella is you either love it or hate it.

I have an extra swift FX for Her headgear I could send you if you can use a small/xtrasmall to try.

My biggest problem is the chin strap I have to wear. I hate it!! It drives me absolutely crazy. I might head over to Amazon right now and see if I can find an alternative.

I recommend the PapCap, its great. Its like a little hat with the strap and it does not twist your jaw in the weird ways the others do. I love mine.

I have the XS size too. I started with that headgear and then switched to the ear (bella) straps.

Dawn

What is the exact name of your mask? It might be the wrong size. I use the Swift FX for Her and it's smaller and works great for side sleepers. I also got a special pillow that makes side sleeping easier. I found out that I need the XS pillows for my mask even though they started me with bigger. So it takes some trial and error to find the best mask.

http://www.thecpapshop.com/resmed-swift-fx-for-her

I also use a papcap to help keep my mouth shut and hold my mask better.

Make sure to check out cpaptalk.com, they can also help you find tips and tricks for the issues you are having.

Also for the Bella mask, some have found that creating a strap across the back helps. I found just using the alternative headgear of the swift FX was easier and works better. Good luck, getting used to Cpap is a process but most say it's worth it later.

Again I recommend cpaptalk.com for all cpap issues as those guys and gals know it all, have seen it all, and have tricks for it all LOL

I have the XS size too. I started with that headgear and then switched to the ear (bella) straps.

Dawn

Ahh, I know on the cpap forums most hated the bella loops as they don't stay put. I find once I get the regular headgear just right I can sleep on my side, but for me it took adding the papcap to get the stability I needed. I pretty much only sleep on my side. I hope you get it figured out.

I started with the headgear. I just got the bella last week. I think that is why I am finally sleeping.

Thank you. I do have that here. I also use the XS pillows.

Insurance wouldn't cover the bella so I had to order those on my own.

For the bella, you might try getting the regular old swift FX headgear which also fits those pillows and it might work better for you. The general consensus for the bella is you either love it or hate it.

I have an extra swift FX for Her headgear I could send you if you can use a small/xtrasmall to try.

Yeah, mine would not cover the loops either. I decided not to try them based on feedback from my other forum. Some do love them though. Do you have the regular FX headgear (grey) or the for her version (pink)? The pink runs smaller and is made for the smaller size of a ladies face. For me that made the difference.

Sometimes, the entire mask system won't work, and you need to try another brand. For me Resmed is the best fit. What machine did you end up with? I have the ResMed S9, which I love.

But just remember, over all it takes most people a month or two to get everything completely working and it's normal that you sometimes still don't make it all night. Just don't give up.

I recommend the PapCap, its great. Its like a little hat with the strap and it does not twist your jaw in the weird ways the others do. I love mine.

Is this it? http://www.amazon.com/PAPCAP-COTTON-CHINSTRAP-SIZE-FITS/dp/B007FGLTXE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344138143&sr=8-1&keywords=papcap

I hate how my strap slides around my head. This looks like it would work better. Thanks!!

Along the lines of the CPAP, has anyone here tried the dental face guard that you can use in place of the machine?

I had a sleep medicine dentist make a mouth device for me. It wasn't a face guard--it was in mouth and moved the lower jaw forward at night. Insurance did cover it after I was considered a cpap failure/I did try the cpap first. I did think it helped, I had a good sleep study while wearing it, and I didn't have issues with jaws or any kind of discomfort. But then I ended up doing a systemic balance device (this is my sleep dentist http://www.centerforsoundsleep.com/blog/oral-systemic-balance/) I wear it all the time except for eating and I've had it for years. It did/does improve my sleep quality compared to the device I had before. However, it dramatically improved many other things as well and, especially with that good study, I really think the original device did as much as a cpap could have done for me.

Not really sure what all happened while I was gone but I will just pick up where I left off...:confused:

Are you sleeping on your side? When I sleep on my side my stomach fills with air. I'm fine as long as I'm on my back. Unfortunately, I sometimes roll to my side w/out realizing it.

I start on my back and then move to my side - I had the same results both ways.

It's interesting because both my DH and I wear CPAPs and we both use nose-only masks. I never have a problem with swallowing air, but DH does and he will often be bloated and belchy. His machine is on a much higher setting than mine is, so that might be one part of it. I'm wondering if a BiPAP works better than a CPAP for people with this problem. I'm going to have him ask the sleep technician about it.

It was horrible. I actually felt almost pregnant I was so bloated. My stomach was hard and my clothes didn't fit - I put on a pair of pants one day and the button that is suppose to be in the front, was at my sides. :confused: I was shocked that it was that bad. It took me months to even try on that pair of pants again thinking that I had gained weight, but it was all the mask as I can wear them again. :tongue_smilie:

I had a sleep medicine dentist make a mouth device for me. It wasn't a face guard--it was in mouth and moved the lower jaw forward at night. Insurance did cover it after I was considered a cpap failure/I did try the cpap first. I did think it helped, I had a good sleep study while wearing it, and I didn't have issues with jaws or any kind of discomfort. But then I ended up doing a systemic balance device (this is my sleep dentist http://www.centerforsoundsleep.com/blog/oral-systemic-balance/) I wear it all the time except for eating and I've had it for years. It did/does improve my sleep quality compared to the device I had before. However, it dramatically improved many other things as well and, especially with that good study, I really think the original device did as much as a cpap could have done for me.

Right, mouth guard wasn't the right word. It is a piece that sits inside your mouth and helps your jaw. That is what I was fit for but I have not received it yet. I am hoping it provides some relief.

Thank you for sharing this site. I am going to go back and read more later. I have a lot of breathing problems, constantly feeling like I can't get enough air especially with any kind of activity. I also have an appointment with a Rheumatologist in a few weeks to evaluate for Fibramyalgia. I wonder if something like this would help me?

I am on those forums already.

I have the S9 as well and the pink headgear.

I think I still like the ear straps more, but may go back to the headgear and see what I think.

Last night I ripped it off again to go to the bathroom and was so out of it I didn't put it back on when I crawled into bed. :tongue_smilie: Use time read 3.3 hours last night.....shoot!

My monthly average is still over 6 hours per night so I think I am ok. I was told that if I don't use it, insurance demands the thing back for the first 10 months which is why they monitor use for 10 months and report back to insurance. After 10 months, the CPAP is mine and they won't bug me anymore.

Dawn

Yeah, mine would not cover the loops either. I decided not to try them based on feedback from my other forum. Some do love them though. Do you have the regular FX headgear (grey) or the for her version (pink)? The pink runs smaller and is made for the smaller size of a ladies face. For me that made the difference.

Sometimes, the entire mask system won't work, and you need to try another brand. For me Resmed is the best fit. What machine did you end up with? I have the ResMed S9, which I love.

But just remember, over all it takes most people a month or two to get everything completely working and it's normal that you sometimes still don't make it all night. Just don't give up.

Thank you for sharing this site. I am going to go back and read more later. I have a lot of breathing problems, constantly feeling like I can't get enough air especially with any kind of activity. I also have an appointment with a Rheumatologist in a few weeks to evaluate for Fibramyalgia. I wonder if something like this would help me?

I had the same issues with not feeling like I was getting enough air plus pain, constant twitching, swallow stuff, headaches, it goes on. Dr. Lawler said most apnea patients have disordered day breathing too. You would very likely even come up that way on an oxygen monitor during the day. The idea is this breathing (and sometimes swallow issues too) causes constant "fight or flight" type stress on the body which then results in not just fatigue but seemingly unrelated health problems. I can't believe the mouth device did all that it did for me but it's been life changing. The problem is often finding someone who does this (and I think costs can be very high; I was one of Dr. Lawler's first patients and even now I think his prices are more reasonable than others). You're not near Indiana are you? I really think the systemic balance might be very helpful to you. Dr. Lawler is fantastic and if you contact him I'm sure he will answer any questions and maybe knows of someone in your area if you want to look into this in the future perhaps. If you check his blog he has patients interviewed on there about their experiences. It sounds a little unbelievable but I can say it's not. I'm there too though I didn't want a full face interview.

I am a side sleeper. I missed that in your original post. I side slept with my original mouth device too. I don't think it affects the usability...if it did I wasn't aware. I hope the mouth device helps you a great deal.

Edited by sbgrace

I had the same issues with not feeling like I was getting enough air plus pain, constant twitching, swallow stuff, headaches, it goes on. Dr. Lawler said most apnea patients have disordered day breathing too. You would very likely even come up that way on an oxygen monitor during the day. The idea is this breathing (and sometimes swallow issues too) causes constant "fight or flight" type stress on the body which then results in not just fatigue but seemingly unrelated health problems. I can't believe the mouth device did all that it did for me but it's been life changing. The problem is often finding someone who does this (and I think costs can be very high; I was one of Dr. Lawler's first patients and even now I think his prices are more reasonable than others). You're not near Indiana are you? I really think the systemic balance might be very helpful to you. Dr. Lawler is fantastic and if you contact him I'm sure he will answer any questions and maybe knows of someone in your area if you want to look into this in the future perhaps.

I am a side sleeper. I missed that in your original post. I side slept with my original mouth device too. I don't think it affects the usability...if it did I wasn't aware. I hope the mouth device helps you a great deal.

Thank you again. No, I am in California. The breathing problems are all relatively new, started last December. I was told that I had lung disease but all that really means is that I have 70% of my lungs with minimal scar tissue. My oxygen level is always fine, which I never understand since I feel like I never get enough. Swallowing is difficult but more when I am lying down then up. Headaches, all the time! I will wait and see the next dr and see how the dental piece works but I will continue to read up on this. Thanks again!

Do you have the ResScan software for your S9 so you can monitor your actual events? It might be that you are having leaks or something that is waking you up. Sometimes large leaks or long events will cause you to wake up. If you don't have the software I can send you a copy of it.

I am personally again working on getting my AHI back down as I adjusted my settings and now my ahi is suddenly back up to 1.5 or ish from .5 ish. :\ I have the autoset so I keep mine running at a range instead of a straight pressure, for me that made the difference in me being able to tolerate the machine.

Also are you using the comfort settings? Ramp time? Humidifier? Tweeking all those just right can help out with tolerating the machine/mask also.

I don't think I know how to do that. I just push a button to see actual time used and if the mask fit properly.

I do use the humidifier and can tell when I have neglected to fill it with water!

Dawn

Do you have the ResScan software for your S9 so you can monitor your actual events? It might be that you are having leaks or something that is waking you up. Sometimes large leaks or long events will cause you to wake up. If you don't have the software I can send you a copy of it.

I am personally again working on getting my AHI back down as I adjusted my settings and now my ahi is suddenly back up to 1.5 or ish from .5 ish. :\ I have the autoset so I keep mine running at a range instead of a straight pressure, for me that made the difference in me being able to tolerate the machine.

Also are you using the comfort settings? Ramp time? Humidifier? Tweeking all those just right can help out with tolerating the machine/mask also.

Do you have the SD card in your machine in the back? (same kindof card that alot of cameras use) If you do, I can send you the software for your computer so you can view your card yourself. It will tell tell you your AHI, Leak Rate, and all that nifty stuff. It also shows you all the events you are having and your leak rate on a nice little graph.

You can download the software here: http://www.resmed.com/int/assets/html/service_support/resscan_software/resscan3.16-register.html?nc=patients

Here is a tutorial for the software: http://montfordhouse.com/cpap/resscan_tutorial/

Here is the Clinicians Manual for the S9: http://www.discoverah.com/pdfs/manuals/cpap/S9-Series-AutoSet-Elite-H5i-Clinical-Guide.pdf

I found being able to monitor my progress at home inbetween doctor visits was really helpful. You can watch for patterns. Like right now I am having a leak issue that I am working to resolve.

Was there a big fight or something?

I got a new mask yesterday. I've only ever used a nose mask and a nose pillow mask. This time I got a full face mask because I hate the chin strap plus I have trouble with nasal congestion. I wore it for 6 hours w/out any leaks. The only problem I had was the bridge of my nose was a little sore. Hopefully, I can wear it all night tonight. All in all, I'm pleased with it.

Not really sure what all happened while I was gone but I will just pick up where I left off...:confused:

I start on my back and then move to my side - I had the same results both ways.

It was horrible. I actually felt almost pregnant I was so bloated. My stomach was hard and my clothes didn't fit - I put on a pair of pants one day and the button that is suppose to be in the front, was at my sides. :confused: I was shocked that it was that bad. It took me months to even try on that pair of pants again thinking that I had gained weight, but it was all the mask as I can wear them again. :tongue_smilie:

Right, mouth guard wasn't the right word. It is a piece that sits inside your mouth and helps your jaw. That is what I was fit for but I have not received it yet. I am hoping it provides some relief.

IMHO, I would ask about BIPAP machine which you might tolerate better. Also, I would try more different masks. Your DME should let you try a new mask for 30 days for free if it does not work. Also CPAP.com has a small fee to let you try different masks and return them.

I think some sort of CPAP or BIPAP would be better for you than a dental device especially with your lung problems. I have found that in a little over a year on CPAP that my breathing problems have improved greatly and I have not needed prednisone in over a year for shortness of breath associated with colds. In fact, I have managed to prevent at least 4 or5 colds from going to my chest since I have been on CPAP whereas prior to CPAP every cold went to my chest no matter what for about 4 years prior.

depending on lung healthy and tolerance and the amount of pressure BiPap may work. Straight CPAP with either flex or EPR should work well depending on machine

BiPap works best with people with COPD ect. Healthy lungs typically dont need BiPap. unless they have a high Mali score.

Make sure that the machine is low and heat humity is high and that your mask truely fits. Keep on the provider with in as few days as possible that the mask isnt working for you. The smaller the amount of days the easier it is. If the provider is no help call in insurance company and tell them they have more pull than the dr sadly

IMHO, I would ask about BIPAP machine which you might tolerate better. Also, I would try more different masks. Your DME should let you try a new mask for 30 days for free if it does not work. Also CPAP.com has a small fee to let you try different masks and return them.

I think some sort of CPAP or BIPAP would be better for you than a dental device especially with your lung problems. I have found that in a little over a year on CPAP that my breathing problems have improved greatly and I have not needed prednisone in over a year for shortness of breath associated with colds. In fact, I have managed to prevent at least 4 or5 colds from going to my chest since I have been on CPAP whereas prior to CPAP every cold went to my chest no matter what for about 4 years prior.

depending on lung healthy and tolerance and the amount of pressure BiPap may work. Straight CPAP with either flex or EPR should work well depending on machine

BiPap works best with people with COPD ect. Healthy lungs typically dont need BiPap. unless they have a high Mali score.

Make sure that the machine is low and heat humity is high and that your mask truely fits. Keep on the provider with in as few days as possible that the mask isnt working for you. The smaller the amount of days the easier it is. If the provider is no help call in insurance company and tell them they have more pull than the dr sadly

Thank you. I will look into this. I am not excited about the dental piece. Yes, exactly about being sick and it going into my chest and cough. I had whopping cough twice in two years if that tells you anything. :confused:

Thank you.

Do you have the SD card in your machine in the back? (same kindof card that alot of cameras use) If you do, I can send you the software for your computer so you can view your card yourself. It will tell tell you your AHI, Leak Rate, and all that nifty stuff. It also shows you all the events you are having and your leak rate on a nice little graph.

You can download the software here: http://www.resmed.com/int/assets/html/service_support/resscan_software/resscan3.16-register.html?nc=patients

Here is a tutorial for the software: http://montfordhouse.com/cpap/resscan_tutorial/

Here is the Clinicians Manual for the S9: http://www.discoverah.com/pdfs/manuals/cpap/S9-Series-AutoSet-Elite-H5i-Clinical-Guide.pdf

I found being able to monitor my progress at home inbetween doctor visits was really helpful. You can watch for patterns. Like right now I am having a leak issue that I am working to resolve.