Menu

Math curriculum that is FUN? (MUS ? as well)

Lovedtodeath

I thought that Saxon would be more fun when I read the description in TWTM, but so many are saying their kids are bored to tears. I am using Horizons now which many seem to like and think is not as boring, but that is just a workbook. I want some hands-on.

I am looking into MUS. Is it complete? (clocks, graphs, shapes, fractions, etc.) What is the difference between the old version and the new version?

Any other suggestions?

I thought that Saxon would be more fun when I read the description in TWTM, but so many are saying their kids are bored to tears. I am using Horizons now which many seem to like and think is not as boring, but that is just a workbook. I want some hands-on.

I am looking into MUS. Is it complete? (clocks, graphs, shapes, fractions, etc.) What is the difference between the old version and the new version?

Any other suggestions?

Singapore 1-3 has many fun worksheets. Mazes filled with numbers are completed, frogs and rabbits hop on numbered lily pads and stones, the lines that match numbers cage in animals...math problems are solved to decode secret messages... My daughter enjoyed coloring some of her pages. It's not all fun every day and they are pretty much weaned off of fun worksheets by the fourth grade.

We used MUS Primer last year with my son. While I think the teaching methods are concrete and made immediate sense to my son, we ended up skipping a lot because of repetition and blandness. This works perfectly with my ADHD nephew, but we ended up supplementing this year with Singapore EarlyBird. We are reviewing with 1B, 2A, and 2B right now and I expect him to be in Singapore Primer Level 1 soon. His sister will easily start Singapore 1A by January. Again, I think the MUS teaching is EXCELLENT and I will continue using it all the way through the upper levels if my kids allow. However, I find the Singapore approach to be a little lighter, with full color, activities around the house, and an opportunity for narrative stories to complete a concept. For instance, we were learning about solids and went around the house finding toys that looked like a sphere, cylinder, cube etc... My son is also already learning about addition and subtraction concepts just through talking about some of the story pictures. I was terrible at word problems and this would have really helped. So would MUS, but we needed a little more spice, so we will do both. Oh, you almost can't do Singapore by itself without some kind of supplement unless you kiddo masters concepts quickly. Singapore has supplements that I haven't used and I know other people have used Miquon (did I spell that right??).

I hope this helps a little. FWIW, I didn't like the Horizons since there was too much on a page. I would have had to cover up sections of the page for my DS to concentrate. Singapore is full color and necessary for my dc, I still liked the simplicity and FUN that went into their books.

Erica

RightStart is very hands on (lots of games and manips) and my kids love it. I just don't have time to devote to it. It is teacher-intensive. Not horribly, but my DD is doing just as well learning with Singapore and Miquon and I don't have to do everything with her.

Any other suggestions?

I am a big big advocate for MUS. This review will answer just about any question you have about MUS. :) We have see real honest math understanding here because of MUS and we will never switch to another program for elementary math. :001_smile:

IMHO...

RightStart (and probably Shiller, as someone else suggested) - i.e., Montessori style Math is probably the most fun as far as math programs go. This is especially true for kids that need hands-on, manipulative based work with little-to-no workbooks. If your kid hates workbooks, probably a good choice. It has a variety of manipulatives and uses card games for mastery.

Singapore is probably somewhat fun if you have a visual student that doesn't mind workbooks.

My own personal preference is BJUP (Bob Jones) because it has a good mix of hands-on manipulative based instruction in the teacher's guide and the amount of workbook-type work seems shorter than your typical math textbook.

MUS - I think this is more "fun" if the kids use the blocks to build pictures, LOL. At least that's what my kids do. It drives me a bit batty. It does have smaller doses of workbook work than your avg math program (so if workbook style is an issue, MUS has a lighter workload). I personally did not enjoy this so much because I needed more hand-holding (I needed a daily schedule of what to do, when - having it be a mastery based issue caused me stress). Also, my dd probably needed the blocks longer but didn't want to use them. She groans when I pull out manipulatives and seems to prefer a visual pictorial presentation.

Singapore 1-3 has many fun worksheets. Mazes filled with numbers are completed, frogs and rabbits hop on numbered lily pads and stones, the lines that match numbers cage in animals...math problems are solved to decode secret messages... My daughter enjoyed coloring some of her pages. It's not all fun every day and they are pretty much weaned off of fun worksheets by the fourth grade.

:iagree: Granted...*we* have only been using the "new" California approved Early-bird Kindergarten math, but boy has it been a hit with my little boy.

He asks to "play" math, and he is learning and having fun in the process.

William turns 4 tomorrow.

Bill

Well,

TO add another dimension to the discussion...I think the fun aspect of a math program comes from the teacher. You can make it interesting in your explanations and discussions about math. You can get math books from the library (Mission Addition by Lorreen Leedy), you can do simple activities to enhance the fun-throwing bean bags to master math facts, skip counting outside.

I would look for a math program that meets other criteria and use fun as the deciding factor between 2 programs that you like equally well. If you're looking for hands on then Miquon, Shiller, Math u see, Rightstart. If you're looking for good mental math and word problems I'd look at Singapore. If you're looking for spiral then Horizons, Saxon, BJU. I think it comes down to evaluating your child and finding the math program that fits their needs and learning styles.

I think that if you have and idea of what you want your math program to accomplish then you can buy with more assurance that it will fulfill your desires.:001_smile:

Strawberry

When they get up to about 5th grade, Life of Fred is fun. I have to forbid my child to read ahead! He can hardly refrain! (But it's fun in the sense of reading a fun story. It's not fun in the sense of building something fun with manipulatives.)

My main goal with homeschool is not wasting DCs time on things they don't need or already know. DHs goal is to make it fun. We are going out of town this weekend and will decide within a couple of weeks. I've got to say MUS looks amazing, but shiller looks to be just the style for DH. Thank you for all of your help!:grouphug: I will update with our decision.

I am grieving my waste of time and money with Horizons. :crying: I chose it because it was in-expensive and fast-moving. I have taught math with no formal program in the past, but now I have mommy brain and need a thorogh IG!

Shiller is too pricey and Rightstart would take too much of my time. MUS just seems too thorough to pass up. We will try it first, and go with BJU if it doesn't fit well. I plan to supplement with some type of logic math books or word problems. Thanks to all for the suggestions and info.

I use Singapore & Miquon for the primary years. I think each is pretty fun but I am a mathy person. :)

For the kids, I think the way to make it fun is to build on whatever program you are using . . . Ways to do this can often be inspired by the books. For instance, in Singapore math (especially books gr 1- gr 3) there are a often pictures of various fun activities that you can use to actually *do* said fun activities.

E.g., when they teach the "counting on" and "counting back" methods of addition and subtraction, they show color sketches of a child hopping forwards or backwards on a sort of sidewalk of numbered squares (sort of a linear hopscotch path), so when we hit those topics, we draw said squares in sidewalk chalk on the driveway or sidewalk and hop around a bunch working out problems. (When ds hit that topic, it was dead winter, so we used sheets of paper with numbers drawn on them and hopped all over the family room!)

E.g., when they teach money, we get out money and open up a "candy store" . . . I hand child a pile of coins and put price tags on tiny candies and the student buys candy for themselves and sibs. FYI, this is a huge favorite game and I have used it to teach *many* concepts such as counting by 5s (only nickels used) 10s (only dimes), etc, etc.

E.g., when they teach weights and measures, we pull out a scale and a measuring stick and measure and weigh all manners of things.

E.g., when they teach volume (cups, quarts, gallons, liters, etc.) we have a *lot* of fun with buckets of water and measuring cups, etc.

Just take any program and build on it to make it fun! Don't feel that the text/workbook is the entire thing but just use it as a source of inspiration for fun stuff. This not only deepens the learning and minimizes the teaching time needed with the books, but also makes the entire program seem so much more fun.

Also, a great resource for fun are the books by Peggy Kaye: Games for Math and/or Games for Learning offer dozens of fun ways to teach any concept. Whenever a topic seems to dull or you need extra practice, you can find a fun way to do it using these books. SOOOO many fun and easy games (all using home found objects and many requiring no preparation at all). If you just take 10 min a week to try a new game from these books, not only will the math facts and other math stuff get reinforced and drilled, it will also make the entire program seem so much more fun.

Take home message is that I'd choose my primary program based on the quality of instruction and mathematics and then choose supplementary ways to make it more fun. I wouldn't want to choose my primary math program based on fun b/c I'd be concerned that the math itself would get shorted.

RightStart is very hands on (lots of games and manips) and my kids love it. I just don't have time to devote to it. It is teacher-intensive. Not horribly, but my DD is doing just as well learning with Singapore and Miquon and I don't have to do everything with her.

I agree with the Rightstart.

Shiller is too pricey and Rightstart would take too much of my time. MUS just seems to thorough to pass up. We will try it first, and go with BJU if it doesn't fit well. I plan to supplement with some type of logic math books or word problems. Thanks to all for the suggestions and info.

I agree with the fact that Rightstart takes up too much time. We loved the program for the fun aspect of it, but hated it for how time consuming it was.

I agree with the fact that Rightstart takes up too much time. We loved the program for the fun aspect of it, but hated it for how time consuming it was.

My son's retention with MUS has been amazing and their teaching is solid and clear. I would say that MUS is as fun as you, the parent makes it. My son gets very excited when I pull out his "special blocks". Bottom Line: The program works and I can't wait to do all of the books to gain a better understanding of math for myself while giving my kiddos an amazing foundation in math. I wish I would have been taught using MUS!

Erica

We've only just begun using RightStart, but so far it is the most "fun" program we've used. My dd loves the manipulatives and card games. It's interesting to see that people think it takes too much time. Since math is one of our core subjects, I expect it to take a good chunk of time each day. Maybe I just haven't hit the more time-consuming lessons yet, but we spent more time with dd dawdling over boring worksheets than we have on any RS lesson so far. :)

We've only just begun using RightStart, but so far it is the most "fun" program we've used. My dd loves the manipulatives and card games. It's interesting to see that people think it takes too much time. Since math is one of our core subjects, I expect it to take a good chunk of time each day. Maybe I just haven't hit the more time-consuming lessons yet, but we spent more time with dd dawdling over boring worksheets than we have on any RS lesson so far. :)

We did more than one lesson per day, as we do with all of our math. Then on top of the rest of our day it was just to "parent" involved for a "very parent involved curriculum" we already use. My son and I needed more of an independent program for him. This way he was/is able to go do his math after instruction by himself. With rightstart we were not able to do this. Also I did not supplement it, so there was nothing to fall back on. (I know my fault) This is the reason why we decided it was just too much for us. Mine is also older and was behind in math until we did rightstart.

I will give Rightstart rave reviews whenever asked. It is an awesome program!!!

Thank you! That is so true with the dawdling. So how much time does a Right Start lesson take for you? And convince me I can do it. I am pretty much sold on MUS because it seems so easy for the teacher. :D