Menu

Does anyone make homemade "Hot Pockets" to freeze? Homemade frozen burritos? Recipes?

I want to start pre-making stuff for the kids to just pull out of the freezer, but homemade so it's healthier. They are getting hungrier as they get older (12 and 9) so I need more filling things like this!

Any recipes to share for homemade Hot Pockets or homemade frozen burritos or anything else like that? Please also include reheating info. Thanks! :)

I use the same recipe as I use for pizza dough except rolling it into a big rectangle and cutting it up into smaller ones. I usually do ham and swiss or mozz and pepperoni, fold over and pinch close. slice 3-4 vents on the top and bake. To freeze, I wrap in freezer paper and then in a large ziploc. Reheat for a minute and a half in the microwave.

I freeze breakfast burritos the same way, next month I'm going to try the one BillieBoy mentioned.

I posted a thread about the same thing quite a while ago; I wanted to make homemade hot pockets. Good grief, that was probably over a year ago now, lol.

Anyway, I ended up making two kinds, and they were a HIT. Regulars around here now.

For the first kind, I use my standard white bread dough recipe:

1 cup warm water

1/4 cup white sugar

3/4 tbsp. active dry yeast

3/4 tsp. salt

2 tbsp. vegetable oil

3 cups flour (recipe calls for bread flour, but I usually use all purpose)

I put this all in the bread maker and set it on the dough setting. When it's done, I turn it out onto the floured table, roll it out to like 1/4 inch thick, then cut it into largish rectangles. pretty much make the dough rectangles twice the size of whatever you want the finished 'hot pocket' to be. Then, pile up your toppings on one half of the rectangles. I make pizza ones; some sauce, mozzarella cheese, pepperoni, whatever you like. then I folded the dough over and pinched it closed. Brush the tops with something; milk, water, butter, egg wash, whatever. Then sprinkle on a bit of parmesean and some italian seasoning. Bake at 350 until they're done; I think they took about 25 minutes or so.

For the second kind, I used my baking powder biscuit dough recipe:

2 cups all-purpose flour

1 tablespoon baking powder

1 tsp. salt

1 tbsp. white sugar

1/3 cup shortening (I actually use butter)

1 cup milk

1. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Cut in the shortening until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Gradually stir in milk until dough pulls away from the side of the bowl.
  2. Turn out onto a floured surface, and knead 15 to 20 times.

I then use this dough just the same as the other. For filling, I used scrambled eggs, diced roasted potatoes, bacon, cheese, sausage, etc. These bake at 425 until done; 20 ish minutes? I can't really remember. just watch them.

Obviously, you can use whatever fillings you like. I just use the bread dough for lunch type foods, and the biscuit dough for breakfast type ones.

Edited by bethanyniez

I made hot pockets....once!:D The potato bread recipe I have for them makes a solid 8 loaves of bread so it was literally an ALL day project. I was so exhausted by the end of the day, I never recovered enough to do it again.:tongue_smilie: I will admit that pulling them out of the freezer & microwaving them for quick meals/snacks was WONDERFUL! Someday I may attempt a 1/2 recipe but still that will be half a day project. Gotta have the time & energy to do so.

So pizza dough would be ok for these? (I've never even had a real Hot Pockets so no idea what they should taste like!)

Bethanyniez-did the consistency work out ok for the biscuit type one? AND about how many pockets would the biscuit type one make with the recipe you gave? Thanks! BTW: Thank you so much for taking the time to type out those recipes! :)

Edited by HappyGrace

I made hot pockets....once!:D The potato bread recipe I have for them makes a solid 8 loaves of bread so it was literally an ALL day project. I was so exhausted by the end of the day, I never recovered enough to do it again.:tongue_smilie: I will admit that pulling them out of the freezer & microwaving them for quick meals/snacks was WONDERFUL! Someday I may attempt a 1/2 recipe but still that will be half a day project. Gotta have the time & energy to do so.

This is kind of how I feel about Pieorogi, and grinding meat. Well, not so much the meat that is not as bad. This is not helpful :tongue_smilie:

So pizza dough would be ok for these? (I've never even had a real Hot Pockets so no idea what they should taste like!)

Bethanyniez-did the consistency work out ok for the biscuit type one? AND about how many pockets would the biscuit type one make with the recipe you gave? Thanks! BTW: Thank you so much for taking the time to type out those recipes! :)

Yep, the biscuit dough worked just as well as the bread dough. Just depends on what sort of 'pocket' you're shootin' for. :D

I'm not quite sure how many that recipe would make; maybe 6?

And I agree with previous posters; it was kind of a big ordeal. I made quite a few at once.

One thing that might cut down on the work load would be to cook your fillings one day, refrigerate them, and then make the dough/fill them/bake them the next day. I mean, for the breakfast one, I had scrambled eggs, bacon, and diced roasted potatoes for some of the filling. Having to make all that PLUS the dough, plus the forming/baking/cooling/freezing all in one day was quite a bit of work. It would've been easier to cook the meat/eggs/potatoes the day before, and then have them in the fridge ready to go.

I use the same recipe as I use for pizza dough except rolling it into a big rectangle and cutting it up into smaller ones. I usually do ham and swiss or mozz and pepperoni, fold over and pinch close. slice 3-4 vents on the top and bake. To freeze, I wrap in freezer paper and then in a large ziploc. Reheat for a minute and a half in the microwave.

I freeze breakfast burritos the same way, next month I'm going to try the one BillieBoy mentioned.

I posted a thread about the same thing quite a while ago; I wanted to make homemade hot pockets. Good grief, that was probably over a year ago now, lol.

Anyway, I ended up making two kinds, and they were a HIT. Regulars around here now.

For the first kind, I use my standard white bread dough recipe:

1 cup warm water

1/4 cup white sugar

3/4 tbsp. active dry yeast

3/4 tsp. salt

2 tbsp. vegetable oil

3 cups flour (recipe calls for bread flour, but I usually use all purpose)

I put this all in the bread maker and set it on the dough setting. When it's done, I turn it out onto the floured table, roll it out to like 1/4 inch thick, then cut it into largish rectangles. pretty much make the dough rectangles twice the size of whatever you want the finished 'hot pocket' to be. Then, pile up your toppings on one half of the rectangles. I make pizza ones; some sauce, mozzarella cheese, pepperoni, whatever you like. then I folded the dough over and pinched it closed. Brush the tops with something; milk, water, butter, egg wash, whatever. Then sprinkle on a bit of parmesean and some italian seasoning. Bake at 350 until they're done; I think they took about 25 minutes or so.

For the second kind, I used my baking powder biscuit dough recipe:

2 cups all-purpose flour

1 tablespoon baking powder

1 tsp. salt

1 tbsp. white sugar

1/3 cup shortening (I actually use butter)

1 cup milk

1. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Cut in the shortening until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Gradually stir in milk until dough pulls away from the side of the bowl.

2. Turn out onto a floured surface, and knead 15 to 20 times.

I then use this dough just the same as the other. For filling, I used scrambled eggs, diced roasted potatoes, bacon, cheese, sausage, etc. These bake at 425 until done; 20 ish minutes? I can't really remember. just watch them.

Obviously, you can use whatever fillings you like. I just use the bread dough for lunch type foods, and the biscuit dough for breakfast type ones.

How many pockets do each of these recipes make?

I use my regular bread dough recipe. Sometimes I make calzones, but the mozzarella cheese tends to seep out. Last week I browned ground beef, put in some tomato sauce, some sloppy joe seasoning and velveeta cheese. I used that as a filling and it was a hit.

I like this recipe for Chicken Taquitos. We cook and shred a whole chicken and double the filling recipe. We end up with about 75 taquitos and they heat up really well.

Chicken Taquitos

3 oz. cream cheese, softened

¼ cup salsa

1 tbsp. freshly squeezed lime juice

1 tsp. chili powder

½ tsp. cumin

½ tsp. onion powder

2 cloves garlic, minced

3 tbsp. chopped cilantro

1-2 green onions, chopped

2 cups shredded cooked chicken

1 cup shredded Mexican cheese

10-12 6-inch tortillas

Olive oil

Sea salt

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

In a large mixing bowl (I use my kitchenAide), combine the cream cheese, salsa, lime juice, spices, cilantro, and green onions; mix thoroughly then add chicken and cheese and mix well.

Heat the tortillas to make them pliable. Spoon 2-3 tablespoons of the filling down the middle of the tortilla. Roll the tortilla up tightly around the filling. Place seam side down on baking sheet. Repeat until all the filling is used up. Brush tops of tortillas with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.

Bake 15-20 minutes until crisp and golden brown.

To freeze before baking, transfer the baking sheet to the freezer and chill 30-60 minutes. Transfer to a ziplock. To bake from the freezer, simply add a few additional minutes to the original baking until warmed through.

We love this recipe for burritos:

http://amysfinerthings.com/brown-bag-burritos

They are so easy that my 13yo makes them and freezes them for us.

HTH,

Joy

These look AWESOME-thanks! One question-why do you have to heat the tortilla before wrapping? Usually the flour ones are soft enough to work with w/out heating, aren't they? (I usually just heat the tortilla only if we are going to eat it right now.) Is there a reason for this or can that step be skipped?

Sorry, one more question---do you let the filling cool before filling the tortilla?

I like this recipe for Chicken Taquitos. We cook and shred a whole chicken and double the filling recipe. We end up with about 75 taquitos and they heat up really well.

[/font]

DROOL.....:)

Thank you-I will be making these this week, but it is doubtful many will make it to the freezer-lol

These look AWESOME-thanks! One question-why do you have to heat the tortilla before wrapping? Usually the flour ones are soft enough to work with w/out heating, aren't they? (I usually just heat the tortilla only if we are going to eat it right now.) Is there a reason for this or can that step be skipped?

If you can wrap the burrito without it the tortilla tearing, then I wouldn't bother heating them. We usually just warm a stack of them in the microwave for a few seconds to make them more pliable.

Sorry, one more question---do you let the filling cool before filling the tortilla?

No, we usually make the filling and eat some for lunch or whatever while we are wrapping the rest to put in the freezer.

HTH,

Joy