Menu

Bread for the absolute beginner

I see lots of you posting that you make your own bread. I would love to try this, but I am baking-challenged. I have made bread in a bread-maker, but it never turns out well.

So, how do you do it? What are your fail-proof newbie recipes?

We love soft, chewy breads the best. I would prefer to have something I don't have to spend every minute of my day on (although I can't imagine any of you do that either) or anything with weird ingredients. I also need something that starts with store bought flour, as we obviously don't grind our own. :)

Any thoughts to help me get started would be appreciated!!

My simplest recipe -

3Tbs sugar

3Tbs oil

1c warm water

2c white flour

1c whole wheat flour

2.5 tsp dried yeast

1.5 tsp salt

I like to play off of that one, but it's perfectly fine by itself.

Sounds simple enough. :) But then what... is that for the breadmaker? For the oven, and if so what temp and how long? Do I knead it?

See what I mean... I'm a beginner. ;)

Sounds simple enough. :) But then what... is that for the breadmaker? For the oven, and if so what temp and how long? Do I knead it?

See what I mean... I'm a beginner. ;)

Sounds like we are doing this together! I have a KitchenAid mixer and I'm borrowing a bread machine to decide which I like. But I don't even know what kind of yeast to get and how to activate and everything. So I hope we get some good advice!!

Ok if you have never baked bread go here: breadtopia.com

There is a short video how to do it. I would watch it as it clears up any confusion in the written recipe. It's super easy, tasty, and you don't have to spend much time with it. It's a no kneed method. It's hard for me to explain how to do it right.

And I just need to add that baking good bread takes practice. I love baking bread and do it often,but it's taken many years to get good at it. I have a great recipe that I use for everything. Tonight I used it for hamburger buns. But you do have to have a feel for the dough, so just keep on doing it. It's a very satisfying activity. I love it. And I love trying new recipes, though usually I just tweak my tried and true one.

I'd invite you over if I could and walk you through it a few times. I wouldn't even know how much flour to tell you to put in the bread. My grandma taught me to do it all by feel. The basic stuff and amounts are written down, but not the flour amounts. I learned by doing. I think the best thing I could say is see if you can find someone that will let you bake with them once or twice.

Here's a bread that I've been trying out recently, it should work with store bought whole wheat. http://www.bluebirdgrainfarms.com/whole-wheat-bread-recipe.html

I just tried this.....it is wonderful!!!!!

You make the dough...it can sit in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks!!!

Each morning you just pull out about a grapefruit size amount of dough & bake it!! It is so easy & delicious!!;)

Below is the the amazon link for the book....if you go to this site...you can watch a short clip of how to make the bread from the authors of the book!!

http://www.amazon.com/Artisan-Bread-Five-Minutes-Revolutionizes/dp/0312362919

Below here is the authors website....it has super ideas...even scoop on how to make this fun bread recipe in the Crockpot!!!:D

http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/

Enjoy!!

Happy Bread Baking!!!

Ok if you have never baked bread go here: breadtopia.com

There is a short video how to do it. I would watch it as it clears up any confusion in the written recipe. It's super easy, tasty, and you don't have to spend much time with it. It's a no kneed method. It's hard for me to explain how to do it right.

Thanks bunches for that link and thanks to OP for posting this thread. I too am a novice and beginning my journey soon into bread making. I plan to buy pre-milled wheat at http://www.naturalwaymills.com because I can't afford the equipment to do it myself at home right now. I don't want to use white flour or stuff from the store due to nutritional failings it has.

I'd invite you over if I could and walk you through it a few times. I wouldn't even know how much flour to tell you to put in the bread. My grandma taught me to do it all by feel. The basic stuff and amounts are written down, but not the flour amounts. I learned by doing.

When you are done kneading, the ball of white bread dough should have the consistency of a baby's butt. Springy but soft.

Start with a basic white bread loaf with some milk powder or milk plus oil or butter, and just start. Grease your pan well until you know your loaf.

Any failures can be turned into bread pudding. ;)