Menu

Happy Scientist- reviews, thoughts, comments?

Elfknitter.#

Who loves it? Thinks its ok? Finds the videos useless? Our science studies ramble. We're currently doing Intellego astronomy with rising 2nd and 4th graders. Once this is complete, we'll probably move over to Mr. Q Life Sci. So this would just be a nice supplement besides MSB videos or Bill Nye.

I LOVE it :D

The ability to choose what video we want to watch (or photos/sounds of the day) is excellent. the video quality is fine, and we can actually watch it (there are few sites that cater to non-us countries, and as for the videos themselves, usually they freeze all the time) so happy scientist has been great! And its cheap. I can get both AHA! Science & Happy Scientist for a year for less than it costs for a month of supercharged science.

The videos I have watched so far, its super easy to get the ingrediants, the experiments are very simple, and the guy himself is fun. His voice could be a little clearer (its a little muffled, so I usually have to turn it up a bit louder than we would other videos) but thats about the only con I have found

I think if you got Happy Scientist, AHA! Science, and a few printables (learningpage.com, abcteach.com, teacherfilebox.com, or Enchanted Learning) you could have a elementary science program both kids & adults would be jealous of :D

My kids adore him, sometimes they just watch him, other times we'll do an experiment. I watched one of his free videos a while ago, and about a week after that one of the kids remembered the whole thing and wanted to set up and do the experiment by themselves!

We were using the free videos, but after some ahhing, I decided to go through HSBC and got a subscription the other day. $10 is an amazing bargain IMO, and I know it mentions his price goes up in September, and that he's planning to add more to the site.

I think it would be especially great for people within the US under state standards, as he's put up courses/lists of videos etc to cover those standards.

We love Bill Nye (but he's more "wacky" than science worthy to us lol), Magic School Bus, Sid the Science Kid, Backyard Science and we're practically glued to the TV when certain Science docos come on ABC/SBS. We saw a huuuugge snake getting dissected the other day....that was...interesting :ack2: lol, but the kids loved it.

Back to the subject (I waffle on....you get used to it :tongue_smilie: ), it would be great as an extra/supplement to practically any program. His videos are so down to earth, easily understandable for any age (my 3yo understands most of what he's talking about), and most importantly, fun! :D

He is definitely worth the $10.00. It is a great supplement. He is easy to understand and to watch. We use it for the times of the year we just do not have time to concentrate on a full science program. Most of all, the kids do not mind sitting down to watch him!

Our girls enjoyed the videos. We did not do all of the experiments - maybe 20%. But the girls remembered a ton from his experiments. The negative was that the sound quality was a bit poor; we often struggled to hear everything. But for the cost, it's fine.

We love, love, love it. My kids discuss the photos of the day every day, and several times per week they recreate an experiment from his videos. Tonight, DD7 woke up for a glass of water, saw me putting water on to boil potatoes, and was beside himself with glee watching the water boil and explaining the whole process to me. He was *thrilled* that he caught me at that exact moment. He was so excited telling me all about it that he could hardly go back to sleep. :) Yay, Happy Scientist! Well worth $10, but I definitely would have paid $20 to renew.