Menu

DR HIVE: What can you tell me about Parvo-Virus?

DD13's blood tests came back positive for parvo and lyme.:glare:

Can anyone here tell me about Parvo Virus?:confused:

The 'dive team carpooling snafu' has been resolved peaceably (I would have to place 99.99% of the blame on my ds :glare:). On my way to the dive meet, I received the phone call about dd13's lab results.

We have a puppy in the house -- fortunately we have a vet appt tomorrow, but does this affect the puppy in any way?:confused:

TIA

from CDC

Fifth disease is a mild rash illness caused by parvovirus B19. This disease is also called erythema infectiosum. It is more common in children than adults. A person usually gets sick within 4 to 14 days (sometimes up to 20 days) after getting infected with parvovirus B19. About 20% of children and adults who get infected with this virus will not have any symptoms.

from Mayo Clinic

Parvovirus infection is a common and highly contagious childhood ailment — sometimes called slapped-cheek disease because of the distinctive face rash that develops. Parvovirus infection also has been known as fifth disease because, historically, it was one of five common childhood illnesses characterized by a rash.

In most children, parvovirus infection is mild and requires little treatment. However, in some adults, the infection can be serious. Parvovirus infection in some pregnant women can lead to serious health problems for the fetus. Parvovirus infection is also more serious for people with some kinds of anemia or who have a compromised immune system

from PetMD

There are other types of diseases that belong to the same genus, or family of organisms, but which differ in degree enough so that they cannot be passed from one species to another. Such is the case with the viral Parvoviridae family. There are some dozens of species of parvovirus within the familial classification, but they are all limited to their taxonomic units. That is, mouse parvovirus is limited to mice, hamsters and other rodents of its order, porcine parvovirus is limited to pigs, chicken parvovirus is limited to chickens, etc. In the same regard, dogs and cats are affected by species specific parvovirus' -- canine parvovirus and feline panleukopenia, respectively. In the canine family, the parvovirus crosses over different genus' within the family group, so that a fox can infect a wolf, or a hyena can infect a dog, and so on, but it is otherwise limited to the canine family.* The same holds true for cats.

Likewise, the species of parvovirus that infects humans is limited to the human species. Viral human parvovirus is a common childhood ailment that is passed strictly by other humans.

Hope this helps

from CDC

from Mayo Clinic

Not a big deal unless someone is pregnant. Not the same parvo virus that dogs get.

I'm sorry Mariann. You're having one of those days, aren't you.

from PetMD

Hope this helps

Thank you all -- and, yes, Jean, it has definitely turned into one of those days :grouphug: (fortunately no where near as horrid as the sheep and dog incident in another post -- i cannot stop praying for that poor woman) --

I seem to have learned that the dog kind and human variety are different.

The doc sent in a prescription for Ceftin but dd13 is allergic to Augmentin and she is never prescribed penicillin so I am not going to give her the Ceftin till I speak with the doctor's office tomorrow. Everything I have read says that a ceftin is contraindicated with a penicillin allergy.....so I am thankful that I didn't just pop a pill into her mouth when I walked in the door.

I will wait --

Thank you all for your patience with me today.:grouphug:

plus parvovirus. Yup.

And didn't your dd have pneumonia recently? Yup - she is still recuperating from it and now this. she is the one with parvo and lyme's.

And you had a major move just a few weeks ago. Three months ago.

That's a lot of stuff to deal with. Good thing there's no school for a few more weeks yet.

Thank you -- boy, I am tired just reading all that.:grouphug:

I had Fifth's Disease in my 20's. A whole body rash and every.single.joint hurt to move. I was largely better in a week, though I had residual pain in my knees for a year.

I saw a rheumatologist a few months afterwards because of the continuing pain. They did blood work then. A few years later when I was pregnant with my first, the CNM looked at those blood test results and said, "You were one sick puppy!"

I never took any medications for it.

Thanks for sharing -- our family practice office was less than helpful this evening --

i've learned here that the meds they phoned in are for the lyme's not the parvo.

dd's chief complaint is fatigue although she has mentioned achiness.

Mariann,

wow, what a day :tongue_smilie:

I caught 5th's from my kids, but didn't realize what it was till my 4th child broke out in the rash. I was in my 30's and it was so horrible for me that I went to a rheumatologist because I thought I had lupus. It started with aches and got much worse. By the time I saw the Dr. though, symptoms were all gone. The worst symptom was that my hands felt like there were broken shards of glass in them, I couldn't turn on a light-switch it was that bad.

hoping for a quick recovery.

Mariann,

wow, what a day :tongue_smilie:

I caught 5th's from my kids, but didn't realize what it was till my 4th child broke out in the rash. I was in my 30's and it was so horrible for me that I went to a rheumatologist because I thought I had lupus. It started with aches and got much worse. By the time I saw the Dr. though, symptoms were all gone. The worst symptom was that my hands felt like there were broken shards of glass in them, I couldn't turn on a light-switch it was that bad.

hoping for a quick recovery.

Yup, the day sucked!

Thanks :grouphug: -- and the pain in your hands that you described, THAT could have been me a few months ago -- hmmmmm.

Stay away from immune compromised people, because parvovirus can be bad for them, like hospital stay and blood transfusions bad (my son had cancer, and several kids we know dealt with parvovirus on treamtent). Keep an eye on your dd since she had pneumonia recently too.

:grouphug: When it rains it pours. I hope your week gets better and your son recovers without incident.

Stay away from immune compromised people, because parvovirus can be bad for them, like hospital stay and blood transfusions bad (my son had cancer, and several kids we know dealt with parvovirus on treamtent). Keep an eye on your dd since she had pneumonia recently too.

:grouphug: When it rains it pours. I hope your week gets better and your son recovers without incident.

It's dd who had the pneumonia who tested positive for parvo.....and lyme's. I am wondering after talking to dd32, if dd13 didn't have pneumonia at all - well, not bacterial pneumonia, and she had parvo-- the symptoms are so similar to pneumonia.