Menu

If you have a Bosch, is it really a do all?

I'm sorry Ellie that your Bosch died. But it got me looking at them again. I don't have the cash ATM but I"m thinking for the future. I have a KA pro that I use for grinding meat, and making bread and the occasional dessert. But for a FP, I HATE my Cuisinart. It is even the newest Williams Sonoma exclusive pricey HUGE boat anchor one. I can't say all the things I loathe about it, but I basically never take it out because it annoys me and it's a PITA to clean. However, it's the only thing I have for shredding large amounts of something. I also have a Vitamix that I wouldn't replace with anything.

Is the Bosch worth it? I would love to be able to julienne, shred, slice etc without cursing.

I'm sorry Ellie that your Bosch died. But it got me looking at them again. I don't have the cash ATM but I"m thinking for the future. I have a KA pro that I use for grinding meat, and making bread and the occasional dessert. But for a FP, I HATE my Cuisinart. It is even the newest Williams Sonoma exclusive pricey HUGE boat anchor one. I can't say all the things I loathe about it, but I basically never take it out because it annoys me and it's a PITA to clean. However, it's the only thing I have for shredding large amounts of something. I also have a Vitamix that I wouldn't replace with anything.

Is the Bosch worth it? I would love to be able to julienne, shred, slice etc without cursing.

Well, I use my Bosch FP attachment and am happy, although mostly what I do with it is make mayo and grate cheese, sometimes deviled eggs and guacamole. I also have the Bosch blender; mostly I use that for cream soups (I have a wonderful recipe for tomato soup).

I do four loaves of 100% whole wheat flour in the Bosch, plus all the other stand-mixer jobs that are just better with a stand mixer than with a hand mixer.

I was looking at a KA Artisan mixer tonight: $299, less than a Bosch...but I'd have to also buy a blender and a food processor, bringing the total to more than a new Bosch (I can use the attachments I have on the new Bosch).

Have you considered a really good quality mandolin? All the electric thingys I've worked with have been messy, wasteful and a hassle to clean unless I was prepping pounds and pounds of things.

Am I the only one who puts my cuisinart parts in the dishwasher? I clean nothing by hand! My kitchen aid bowl and beaters go in the dishwasher as do my KA blender pieces.

I used to, but the heat from the super hot water made the plastic brittle and I had to replace 2 bowls and one top much faster that I did when I hand washed them. Replacements are not cheap. Now I only machine wash if I am in a hurry or if it is really oily/sticky dirty.

Have you considered a really good quality mandolin? All the electric thingys I've worked with have been messy, wasteful and a hassle to clean unless I was prepping pounds and pounds of things.

I have. I'm just not sure which one. The only time I need to grate/slice with something electric is when I make massive amounts of tzatziki. I seriously hate this Cuisinart FP.

In the interest of full disclosure, my new top piece arrives tomorrow, but replacing it was totally worth the 13 years I put that thing in the dishwasher. My two original bowls are just fine. I'm the biggest baby about hand washing.

Do you have the older version? I MISS that one. You know, I should just buy that one again. So I loaned mine to a friend who vanished soon after :glare:. Then I bought this new one and the lid has this gasket so it is "leak proof." Well, crud gets in between and there is no amount of bleach or any brush that can get it out. So it's basically a mold generator. Gross. The old one I had was ugly, clunky, and only had two buttons that you would depress. It was awesome.

Well, I use my Bosch FP attachment and am happy, although mostly what I do with it is make mayo and grate cheese, sometimes deviled eggs and guacamole. I also have the Bosch blender; mostly I use that for cream soups (I have a wonderful recipe for tomato soup).

I do four loaves of 100% whole wheat flour in the Bosch, plus all the other stand-mixer jobs that are just better with a stand mixer than with a hand mixer.

I was looking at a KA Artisan mixer tonight: $299, less than a Bosch...but I'd have to also buy a blender and a food processor, bringing the total to more than a new Bosch (I can use the attachments I have on the new Bosch).

Yeah, see I have the KA pro which was almost $600, and my Vitamix blender sure put a dent. Although my sis has neither, and her wedding is next year. I'm really consider this as a gift. I paid close to $400 for my FP so i was thinking if I could get one for $500 and was worth it maybe I would splurge.

I love my Bosch for bread and large quantity doughs, but for a single batch cookie or something like that or whipping a couple egg whites or a cup of cream, etc my KA is my go to appliance. The job just does not get done well in the Bosch.

:iagree: